Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Seeing the penguins practically win the cup must be killing Shero deep down . I am sure he will be active this summer to improve the team in more ways than one.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I agree it could have provided more offense. But i feel like with last years team a NORMAL bottom 6 would have been enough to get us into the playoffs and i believe thats what needs to be addressed more then anything.

I mean you never know i just dunno if defense is going to be a focus with all the Dman we already have here.

Shero has a track record of preferring PMDs on the D to drive offense from the back-end. I think, in last year's "transition" year, he was looking for that from Moore... and now that it's apparent Moore won't be a driving force, he may go after a Campbell or a Goligoski (especially with the familiarity there...)

Just my read on it, obviously. I'm positive we'll add a forward or two, but I'm also feeling like we may have another D to work with by the end of the summer.

Group Chat Legend*

Our defense core needs some work. All it needs in my opinion is an Alex Goligoski type player signed to a 4-6 year deal. And by Alex Goligoski type player, I mean a 26-30 year old LHD who can put up some points and play solid defensively. Basically, this team needs a proven top 4 LHD that isn't too old but isn't too young.

If that were to happen, the D core for the next 3-4 years would look like this:

LHD:
Greene
(Goligoski)
Schlemko/Moore/Merrill/Helgeson/other

RHD:
Larsson
Severson
Santini/Jacobs/other

That looks damn good to me and allows the Devils to keep the same core together for many years.

I do not want Goligoski at age 36 when we will have 2-3 kids ready to take his place by then

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Dont get what the attitude is for, it is a GMs job to predict 5 years down the road - and if you dont think Santini, Jacobs, or Severson will be in the top 4 by then I think youre either clueless or pessimistic about our prospects.

Have you not learned that all prospects do not pan out? remember when a few years ago everyone thought our D would be Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom?

how did that work out so far?

not to mention, all 3 guys you listed are all right-handed DMen. we need lefties.

I just don't understand how some people are so averse to bringing in talent. The Devils were overall a bad hockey team last year. They have the 2nd most cap space in the NHL which can be used to add talent. They aren't in a position to be turning away good players because MAYBE FIVE YEARS FROM NOW they will have more good players

Group Chat Legend*

Have you not learned that all prospects do not pan out? remember when a few years ago everyone thought our D would be Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Urbom?

how did that work out so far?

not to mention, all 3 guys you listed are all right-handed DMen. we need lefties.

I just don't how some people are so averse to bringing in talent. The Devils were overall a bad hockey team last year. They have the 2nd most cap space in the NHL which can be used to add talent. They aren't in a position to be turning away good players because MAYBE FIVE YEARS FROM NOW they will have more good players

Right so lets throw away 5M+ on a 6 year contract for a guy who will produce far less when not playing behind the leagues best offense, will decline 3-4 years into it, and then will be hard to move because of age. All because our prospects 'might' not pan out.

See this is why GMs make the money they make. They dont make impulsive decisions based on simple ideas, they think more complex and abstractly.

Im not going to be that upset if we signed him long term, but it just isnt a smart move and Shero knows it. People like to try and discredit his statement about long term to under 29 players, but he said it for a reason...

Group Chat Legend*

People like to crap on the defense last year when Severson and Larsson both put up (decent) points for the league worst offense...

Get some cap space and all of a sudden fans lose faith in every facet of the team because apparently the free agents are all better, AINEC amirite?

Severson could probably put up points and not that far off from Goligoski for far less money.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
People like to crap on the defense last year when Severson and Larsson both put up (decent) points for the league worst offense...

Get some cap space and all of a sudden fans lose faith in every facet of the team because apparently the free agents are all better, AINEC amirite?

Severson could probably put up points and not that far off from Goligoski for far less money.

People are not crapping on our entire defense, it is just the left side that looks horrendous if we dont do something about it. We have Greene, and then after that, Merrill/Moore/Schlemko/Auvitu as a 2nd pairing defenseman!?! Helgeson as our 7th defenseman!?! If we dont do something about this, our defense is going to get shredded

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Right so lets throw away 5M+ on a 6 year contract for a guy who will produce far less when not playing behind the leagues best offense, will decline 3-4 years into it, and then will be hard to move because of age. All because our prospects 'might' not pan out.

See this is why GMs make the money they make. They dont make impulsive decisions based on simple ideas, they think more complex and abstractly.

Im not going to be that upset if we signed him long term, but it just isnt a smart move and Shero knows it. People like to try and discredit his statement about long term to under 29 players, but he said it for a reason...

And if he produces for those 3-4 years and the team improves and we make the playoffs and who knows what then the problem is?

Do you really expect to build a team of all 23 year olds who all stay with us for 10 years or whatever? The core of your team is always through the draft but you can't win without going outside the organization for talent occasionally.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the team is going to look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in 3-4 years. Take a look at the Devils' roster from their 2012 Cup Finals team...who is left, maybe 5 guys?

A player like Goli would immediately step in and stabilize the top 4 on D. Please tell me when having TOO MANY good players (in your scenario, assuming Severson/Santini/Jacobs all turn into above average players) has ever been a bad thing?

right now, this coming year the only players we will have 30+ years old are the following:

Andy Greene
Cory Schneider
Travis Zajac
Mike Cammalleri

thats it. You act like we've got 10 thirty+ years olds

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team discussion thread after Urbom was claimed by Washington is a must read. It would be in the hall of fame if we had one for this site.

Do we still hold his rights?:sarcasm:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
the team is going to look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in 3-4 years. Take a look at the Devils' roster from their 2012 Cup Finals team...who is left, maybe 5 guys?

A player like Goli would immediately step in and stabilize the top 4 on D. Please tell me when having TOO MANY good players (in your scenario, assuming Severson/Santini/Jacobs all turn into above average players) has ever been a bad thing?

right now, this coming year the only players we will have 30+ years old are the following:

Andy Greene
Cory Schneider
Travis Zajac
Mike Cammalleri

thats it. You act like we've got 10 thirty+ years olds
Well that team was pretty old, had a big name UFA waiting to bolt, and another non ufa ready to bolt.

This team is becoming much younger, does not have that star soon to be UFA, nor a star Russian who will walk out on $100 mil.

I'm not sure Goligoski is the type of move Shero is looking to make, nor am I sure it is the best deal to make.

But if they do go that route, then they better go all in and bring in a big time RW.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My ideal, but somewhat within the realm of possibility, offseason:

-Sign Backes to a 3yr/$21.0MM contract
-Sign Okposo to a 6yr/$39.0MM contract
-Sign Campbell to a 2yr/$12MM contract OR Sign Goligoski to a 4yr/$22.5MM contract

Cammalleri - Henrique - Okposo
Boucher - Backes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Pelly
Blandisi - Josefson - Lappin
Pietila, Kalinin

Campbell - Larsson
Greene - Severson
Moore - Schlemko
Helgeson

Schneider
Kiknaid/Wedgewood

That's a lot of dollars to spend in free agency. Backes probably doesn't deserve $7MM per year, but he probably needs that much to take a three year contract (wouldn't want him longer than that). New Jersey really needs a forward to drive possession and influence the pace of the game, and Backes is that guy. Okposo just makes too much sense, and is young enough that we don't need to worry about him falling off a cliff. We obviously need help on the left side of the defense, which Campbell or Goligoski would address.

In regards to Blandisi on the fourth line - I am a fan of having four lines that can all contribute offensively, so I don't have much of a problem with him being there. He could also end up in Albany to start the season.

Man. If Chicago traded us TT to free space to sign Campbell and then we signed him too?

Group Chat Legend*

But is Goligoski going to be worth his pay if he isnt behind the league best offense...

Wasnt but a few seasons ago that people were crapping on him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
look around the NHL, pretty much every team is going to look ~50% different after 3-4 years. its just the nature of the beast.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
this doesn't feel like an unbiased post :laugh:

clarkson is essentially a contract dump to move up for puljajarvi. I think you might be nuts to not want him to just sit on clarkson
Ummm what? Clarkson has 4 years remaining on the worst contract in the NHL. Nothing I said was more bias than it was the absolute truth. But I did make one slight error in facts in my last post on the matter. Clarkson had 24 points in 48 games in his last season with us and not 28 points in 48 games. He since has just 6 more points in 93 more games played. Yikes that's horrific.
Did someone actually question the trade? God it felt like a no brainier then and now.

Blackwood got all the hate.

Just one or two people, but it seemed to be in the opening two weeks of the season when Palms had only one or two goals.

Last edited:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I hate that games played rule

always trying to make things more complicated than they have to be

See I like it (From the new team's view) because then I'd know I can get someone who wasn't constantly injured / suspended.

Either way though, we're solid. Few NMCs, Clowe can (and probably will) waive his, and our best prospects are exempt.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
7 forwards: Zajac|Henrique|Cammalleri|Palmieri|Smith-Pelly|Boucher|{tbd-presumptive addition(s) this offseason}
3 defense: Greene|Larsson|Severson
1 goalie: Schneider

Exposed: Josefson**, Clowe (assuming he's fine with being exposed, not like he'd be picked), Moore*, Merrill**, Kinkaid, Wedgewood

Exempt: Blandisi, Zacha, etc

*has a contract for 2017-18
**RFA this offseason, may end up with a contract for 2017-18

Possible that we give a 4th liner a two year deal just to satisfy the minimum requirement?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as it currently stands, this is what our "protected" list probably looks like:

Adam Henrique
Mike Cammalleri
Travis Zajac
Kyle Palmieri
Reid Boucher
Devante Smith-Pelly
????

Andy Greene
Adam Larsson
Damon Severson

Cory Schneider

so if we sign a DMan this summer, we will probably have to make some tough decisions. I will assume that we'll have at least 1-2 new forwards that would be worthy of keeping in that 7th F spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad