Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We need to put together a package for a first round pick between 15 and 30. The second round pick in '18 helps a lot. Let's say we get Keller at 11 and Chychrun falls. I'd add 41 because we'll no longer need to get a LHD in the second round. I'd throw in a second rounder from next year also. Getting Detroit's pick would be the best. We could also go for Nashville's.

Why do we need another first in this draft?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
The Devils didn't give up much to get a 2nd round pick and they acquired Marc Savard who they probably hope can be a help to the younger players, have a decent year to help us get into the playoffs and at the very least if we don't look good to make it by the trade deadline maybe we can move him for something.

why do I look at Facebook comments

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Funny thing is even if we take on Datsyuk's in addition to Savard's we will still have plenty of $$$$.

Really hoping we do trade for Dat's.

Yea we do, we could still unburden Chicago of Bickell too. If Shero turns 1 year of unused cap space into #16 and Teravainen I'd be thrilled.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yea we do, we could still unburden Chicago of Bickell too. If Shero turns 1 year of unused cap space into #16 and Teravainen I'd be thrilled.

You guys really think Detroit is giving up 16 just to move Datsyuks deal? I can't see it happening.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
You guys really think Detroit is giving up 16 just to move Datsyuks deal? I can't see it happening.

I'm not counting on it but I'm not discounting it either. It seems they've already decided to trade the contract. $7.5m in dead cap is a lot and there will be very few suitors. It would likely take an expanded deal with NJD adding more than just AHL filler (#41? Merrill? Future picks?) but the Savard deal set the market a bit and Detroit's going to likely have to add a significant piece to move that contract.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Do you think Detroit would give up a young player, Jurco just as an example, to get rid of that PD contract or is it more likely that they'd give up a 2nd rounder (not a #1) this year?

Also, does anyone see the NHL trying to close this loophole if we and more teams do moves like this? I don't have a problem with it but I can see Gary's panties getting all bunched up about it.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Are free agents allowed to start talking with teams before the draft? I know bylaws changed within the last few years to allow pending UFAs to speak with teams, just not sure if that period opens before the draft. If it does begin before the draft, I can see the Wings talking to Stamkos. If they could nail something down, then I can see Detroit moving their first with Datsyuk for cap room. Otherwise, I doubt it. I would easily settle for a project prospect of theirs, and a second.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Are free agents allowed to start talking with teams before the draft? I know bylaws changed within the last few years to allow pending UFAs to speak with teams, just not sure if that period opens before the draft. If it does begin before the draft, I can see the Wings talking to Stamkos. If they could nail something down, then I can see Detroit moving their first with Datsyuk for cap room. Otherwise, I doubt it. I would easily settle for a project prospect of theirs, and a second.

5 days prior to FA opening. So June 26th agents and teams can talk

Group Chat Legend*

Pulkinnen, 2017 2nd to NJ for FLA 2018 2nd (acquired in Savard deal)

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
That Savard deal was one of the least essential trades you will ever see, unless that 2nd round pick turns out to be good. If it doesn't, it's a total wash for both sides.

That 2nd is now a free trade asset and it will only become more valuable as time passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad