Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Merrill +3rd (lower of the two we have) for Bickell, TT and prospect Chris Calnan (RW) picked 3rd OA in 2012

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
To Det:
Merrill
2nd round pick

To NJ
Pavel datsyuk
1st round pick

I didn't think they would give up their 1st but I would do that.

I was thinking-
Jurco, Datsyuk 2nd for their 3rd back from Zidlicky
along with the Chi move that would:
IN: TT, Bickell, prospect, Jurco and a 2nd
OUT: Merrill and 2- 3rds

We tie up $11.4 M this yr only and get a good center, a wing that needs playing time, a mid-round 2nd and Bickell.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
I wish Detroit was that motivated to trade the contract away but fans have said they aren't and it doesn't look like Holland is in any rush to make the team competitive next season.

I can see Shero having interest in Jurco as he appears to be the odd man out for whatever reason and this could lower the cost.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I wish Detroit was that motivated to trade the contract away but fans have said they aren't and it doesn't look like Holland is in any rush to make the team competitive next season.

I can see Shero having interest in Jurco as he appears to be the odd man out for whatever reason and this could lower the cost.

If Datsyuk doesn't play in the NHL next year, they are going to trade away that contract. They just can't leave at least 10% of their cap space dead especially after losing their best player. They just won't have to give up a 1st round pick to do it because there's too many teams who would take it without having to do that.

The only way they don't is if the league's position on trading deals like this has changed. I don't think it has.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It makes zero sense for them to give away assets for one year of a dead contract. Detroit doesn't make silly deals or silly free agent signings.

They also aren't close to taking the next step. Their D is a mess and needs lots of help. Their pick will go a long way to helping them fix it internally.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
My post was bc of a previous thread where poster seemed to think it was a good fit. When I saw Remembers... Post I just went with it. I like JM and as a 5/6 he's fine I thought he would re-emerge last yr but no dice

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Merrill was a funny player last year. I thought he had two good stretches of hockey, the preaseason and right up to his injury. I thought he had turned the corner before his injury, there were games I thought he was the best defenseman out there. After he returned he just did not play good. I think the best thing for him is consistency and I still think he can make the next step, but it must be this year

Merrill was a -9 in his 11 games following his injury. He was a +2 in his 18 games before his injury. That's why I still hold out some hope for him.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Merrill was a funny player last year. I thought he had two good stretches of hockey, the preaseason and right up to his injury. I thought he had turned the corner before his injury, there were games I thought he was the best defenseman out there. After he returned he just did not play good. I think the best thing for him is consistency and I still think he can make the next step, but it must be this year

Merrill was a -9 in his 11 games following his injury. He was a +2 in his 18 games before his injury. That's why I still hold out some hope for him.

Completely agree with your post. Just wonder if it's a matter of jumping out early on him. If he does stay, which is most likely I hope he gets a nice solid yr

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do like the idea of Greene/Severson and Goligoski/Larsson being our top 4 next year. Although then you might have a carousel on the bottom pairing with Moore/Merrill/Schlemko. That's assuming we bring Schlemko back of course. If we sign Goligoski maybe we just let Schlemko walk.

Although I'm not sure Shero is going to want to give Goligoski the term he's probably looking for. Maybe the Pittsburgh connection helps us out?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I do like the idea of Greene/Severson and Goligoski/Larsson being our top 4 next year. Although then you might have a carousel on the bottom pairing with Moore/Merrill/Schlemko. That's assuming we bring Schlemko back of course. If we sign Goligoski maybe we just let Schlemko walk.

Although I'm not sure Shero is going to want to give Goligoski the term he's probably looking for. Maybe the Pittsburgh connection helps us out?

No way. Schlemko was a solid defenseman for us and deserves to be re-signed. Let Moore and Merrill fight it out.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
No way. Schlemko was a solid defenseman for us and deserves to be re-signed. Let Moore and Merrill fight it out.

He had a good season, but I'm not sure if it's repeatable. He put up 12 points on the PP (he had 13 his entire career before) and PP production can be a fickle thing. At even strength I think he's just your typical third pairing guy.

I would definitely prefer him to Moore, but Moore is already signed and the coaching staff seems to love him, and if they're going to give Merrill a chance to be an NHL regular rotating him in and out probably won't help.

And it's not that I don't want Schlemko. If we don't bring anybody else in I'm more than happy with bringing him back. But if we're upgrading the top 4, I think it might be better to either let him go or trade one of Moore/Merrill if we bring him back.

Actually, I just realized that would mean a Merrill/Moore pairing, so maybe scratch that idea.

kiwidevil

Wasn't Goligoski a healthy scratch for quite a while in Dallas? He looks to have come around nicely since then, but Dallas' goal scoring ability/Elite players masked a lot of their defensive inability until the playoffs.

The fact they had the puck a lot and generated a lot of scoring chances can mean their D has to play in their own end a lot less than others. While with a team like the Devils, his individual D play can get singled out a lot more. You don't have players like Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Sharp and Kilngberg exiting zones/dominating the puck with ease.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The biggest Goligoski selling point for me is his skating.

He's a very dynamic defenseman in that regard. I think him and Larsson together would be money. It would also allow Greene to slide down and work with Severson, and all of the sudden, we have a very well-rounded top-4.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The biggest Goligoski selling point for me is his skating.

He's a very dynamic defenseman in that regard. I think him and Larsson together would be money. It would also allow Greene to slide down and work with Severson, and all of the sudden, we have a very well-rounded top-4.

This exactly

He's 30yo. If we coudld get him on a 4 yr with more $ maybe thats better than more term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad