Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
People are going to crap all over this idea, but I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Staal. He is one of the better possession and faceoff centers in free agency. He's probably not going to be a hot commodity given how he performed in New York.

Of the 101 forwards that have played over 2,000 ES minutes the last two years, Staal is 8th in SF% Relative to Team.

I wonder if he would be down for a one-year, prove-it contract around $6.0MM. NJ might be a great place for him - guaranteed top line minutes with some good shooters around him. I wouldn't propose giving Staal a deal longer than two years, because there is a chance he's heading into breakdown mode.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Is Larsson really going to be a guy who is a threat on the PP. His shooting ability does not make him a threat from that standpoint, and lets be real he is probably well below average in that regard. He is a good passer but that is not enough to warrant him getting a spot. He is already playing big minutes so unless he gets less shutdown minutes I don't see the point of putting him on the PP. I've wanted to see it in the past, but at this point he hasn't progressed enough offensively IMO.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
People are going to crap all over this idea, but I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Staal. He is one of the better possession and faceoff centers in free agency. He's probably not going to be a hot commodity given how he performed in New York.

Of the 101 forwards that have played over 2,000 ES minutes the last two years, Staal is 8th in SF% Relative to Team.

I wonder if he would be down for a one-year, prove-it contract around $6.0MM. NJ might be a great place for him - guaranteed top line minutes with some good shooters around him. I wouldn't propose giving Staal a deal longer than two years, because there is a chance he's heading into breakdown mode.

I don't like it, not because I think Staal is bad, but because it's such a move towards mediocrity. Makes us better, maybe even 8th seed better, but then what?

Plus he doesn't look to fit the Hynes style.

Would move Rico to wing.

If he were to sign a one year $6 mil prove it deal, I'd think he'd be looking to a better team where he'll slot in at 3rd C. Have to think he's sick of losing.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I don't like it, not because I think Staal is bad, but because it's such a move towards mediocrity. Makes us better, maybe even 8th seed better, but then what?

Plus he doesn't look to fit the Hynes style.

Would move Rico to wing.

If he were to sign a one year $6 mil prove it deal, I'd think he'd be looking to a better team where he'll slot in at 3rd C. Have to think he's sick of losing.

If he's signing a one-year, "prove it" deal, it definitely won't be on a team where he's a third line center. He's going to want to be a go to go guy where he can get top line minutes and inflate his point totals.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I'm up for that-as long as it's a 2-yr deal max, preferable a 1-yr deal.
Could flip him at the deadline too for a pick(s).

He was brutally bad with the Rags and a ghost in the playoffs.
His value is basement low right now, he will be motivated this October.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Is Larsson really going to be a guy who is a threat on the PP. His shooting ability does not make him a threat from that standpoint, and lets be real he is probably well below average in that regard. He is a good passer but that is not enough to warrant him getting a spot. He is already playing big minutes so unless he gets less shutdown minutes I don't see the point of putting him on the PP. I've wanted to see it in the past, but at this point he hasn't progressed enough offensively IMO.

Agree 100%. Keep letting him develop into a shut-down defenseman and lets try to address the PP in other ways.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

is David Schlemko a good offensive DMan?

he had 12 PP points last year. you don't think Larsson could do at LEAST what Schlemko did?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think by adding a LHD man (like Gogo) Lars will still play big minutes but not as heavy a load.
Greene/Sevs
Gogo/Lars

His passing is very good, not a first pair PP b/c that would be Sevs IMO, but maybe 2nd. Isn't that where Schlemko played the right side on PP.
I also agree with ZBC, Lars should be able to put up Schlems #s

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't believe Larsson will ever be at the offensive level as some of the other elite DMen in the league

That doesn't mean he can't be a legit 30-40 point guy on this team, though

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I'm not terribly opposed but only if NJ is moving him at the deadline. And then at that point why is he signing here? Money, I guess? Then there's always the risk that NJ runs hot in the first half of the year again and doesn't sell.

is David Schlemko a good offensive DMan?

he had 12 PP points last year. you don't think Larsson could do at LEAST what Schlemko did?

No, not in that amount of ice time. I also don't think Schlemko can repeat that either.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think by adding a LHD man (like Gogo) Lars will still play big minutes but not as heavy a load.
Greene/Sevs
Gogo/Lars

His passing is very good, not a first pair PP b/c that would be Sevs IMO, but maybe 2nd. Isn't that where Schlemko played the right side on PP.
I also agree with ZBC, Lars should be able to put up Schlems #s

"Passing" on a PP is different than at even strength. Lars is very good and accurate with breakout passes but on the PP you have to move laterally and make quick passes sometimes into tight spaces. Sure he could get points with secondary assists and off deflections, etc, but IMO I don't see him really as a good PP guy.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't want any part of Eric Staal.

If he makes it to September (which he won't), I'd be find with a tryout. But that's literally it, and it isn't remotely realistic.

He'll get a Lecavalier-type contract, and my personal max for him would be a 1-year deal. I don't see a fit.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
"Passing" on a PP is different than at even strength. Lars is very good and accurate with breakout passes but on the PP you have to move laterally and make quick passes sometimes into tight spaces. Sure he could get points with secondary assists and off deflections, etc, but IMO I don't see him really as a good PP guy.

I'm not as concerned with him on PP, but your points are well taken. I don't think he would hurt us is what I was going for. You are correct about his outlet pass which is stellar, but its not over to other D for a bomb. He would not look lost is my point, apparently Team Sweden thought so too.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'm not as concerned with him on PP, but your points are well taken. I don't think he would hurt us is what I was going for. You are correct about his outlet pass which is stellar, but its not over to other D for a bomb. He would not look lost is my point, apparently Team Sweden thought so too.

No I agree. He could function back there on the PP, it just doesn't play to his strength.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
An ideal lineup for next season in my opinion would be this:

1. Zajac
2. Palmieri
3. Cammalleri
4. Henrique
5. UFA/Trade
6. Boucher
7. UFA/Trade
8. Elias
9. UFA/Trade
10. DSP
11. Josefson
12. Kalinin
13. Gionta

Competing for spots: Zacha, Quenneville, Blandisi, Lappin, Lorito, Farnham, Sislo, etc.

Options for UFA/Trade: Stamkos, Okposo, Helm, Stempniak, Eriksson / Johanssen, Yakupov, Jurco, etc.

1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. UFA D
4. Severson
5. Moore
6. Schlemko
7. Merrill

Extra: Helgeson, Santini, Mozik

Options for UFA: Goligoski, Yandle, Demers

1. Schneider
2. Kinkaid/Wedgewood

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Gionta should be nowhere near the lineup, and I'm hoping one of the young guys beats out Josefson for the 4C spot.

If Shero can't get any bites for a top-6 forward, so be it. But there's absolutely no excuse to ice a horse **** bottom-6 again next year. No excuse.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tootoo's injury ensured he wasn't re-signed on May 13th.

Let's hope he isn't re-signed on September 13th, the week before camp starts and after we let our breaths go by September, thinking he definitely won't be back.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
An ideal lineup for next season in my opinion would be this:

1. Zajac
2. Palmieri
3. Cammalleri
4. Henrique
5. UFA/Trade
6. Boucher
7. UFA/Trade
8. Elias
9. UFA/Trade
10. DSP
11. Josefson
12. Kalinin
13. Gionta

Competing for spots: Zacha, Quenneville, Blandisi, Lappin, Lorito, Farnham, O'Neill, Sislo, etc.

Options for UFA/Trade: Stamkos, Okposo, Helm, Stempniak, Eriksson / Johanssen, Yakupov, Jurco, etc.

1. Greene
2. Larsson
3. UFA D
4. Severson
5. Moore
6. Schlemko
7. Merrill

Extra: Helgeson, Santini, Mozik

Options for UFA: Goligoski, Yandle, Demers

1. Schneider
2. Kinkaid/Wedgewood

Oneill is gone already I believe, pretty sure he signed overseas and we got out 7th back.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Gionta is everything you could ask for in a depth/healthy scratch forward.

Defensively responsible - great penalty killer, veteran leadership, great locker room guy, great pro, and best friends with Adam Henrique - one of our most important players.

He is a perfect guy to resign on a cheap, two way contract (if he accepts a 2way deal) that can play about 30-50 games as the 4th line center/RW when guys get injured. (4th line players would move up in lineup)

- and on O'Neill, you're right. he signed in the KHL. good point. I'll take him out of the list.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sign Gio to a 2-way deal, he'd be a nice fit in Albany and could be an occasional depth injury call up to NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad