Speculation: NJD Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Jurco or Ty Rattie are my "Palmieri" targets this summer

Brouwer is the only RW who is UFA for St Louis and if they go into the finals he has been good, would expect him to hang around, which helps the cause
Jaskin (as was mentioned) is RFA like this from HF "Jaskin is a big, strong player (6'3) who is difficult to defend and is nearly impossible to bump off the puck. He has a mean streak, never backing down when challenged"

Looks like they have a lot of AHLers coming up as well

Jurco seems to have fallen off in Det., played 44 gms 4G 2A

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Goligoski is a good top 4 option. Goli was paired with Klingberg a lot and they had issues defensively at times. Too much of the same thing on that pair. Goli with Larsson would allow him to roam more. Those two would compliment each other very well in my mind. And, as others have said, Severson would benefit big time playing with Greene.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Brouwer is the only RW who is UFA for St Louis and if they go into the finals he has been good, would expect him to hang around, which helps the cause
Jaskin (as was mentioned) is RFA like this from HF "Jaskin is a big, strong player (6'3) who is difficult to defend and is nearly impossible to bump off the puck. He has a mean streak, never backing down when challenged"

Looks like they have a lot of AHLers coming up as well

Jurco seems to have fallen off in Det., played 44 gms 4G 2A

Jurco's playing time was reduced by Blashill so he became frustrated over his standing with the team, ending the season as a healthy scratch. A recent article from The Hockey Writers indicated that he'd start 16-17 on the fourth line, and I imagine that would frustrate any player with a game based around skill.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
My only qualm with Jurco is, other than 3RW, I'm not sure where else we'd put him.

That spot, in my eyes, belongs to DSP and DSP only.

I have no particular feeling about Jurco but I don't understand that line of thinking. Are we in a position to be that choosy with our forward acquisitions? Right now we basically have an unsigned RW1, DSP, and a bunch of unknowns. Pick up talent where you can and let the chips fall where they may. Guys under/over perform all the time.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I have no particular feeling about Jurco but I don't understand that line of thinking. Are we in a position to be that choosy with our forward acquisitions? Right now we basically have an unsigned RW1, DSP, and a bunch of unknowns. Pick up talent where you can and let the chips fall where they may. Guys under/over perform all the time.

IMO, Jurco is a move to be made after, hypothetically, Shero strikes out both in the trade market and in free agency.

We're a good RW away from having a pretty solid top-6. I'd rather go all in on finding a more established, more skilled player. If this proves fruitless, then, yes, let's acquire Jurco types and hope it sticks.

So I guess you can call that being choosy, but I see it more as a matter of asset allocation. As an organization with only a handful of attractive trade pieces... and even fewer attractive, disposable trade pieces... I'd rather put together a good package and shop it for a while, than trade a 3rd here for X buried prospect etc, and chip away at what we can offer for other players.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
All that said, I do like Jurco a lot. I think he'd do fine here, and, frankly, I think he could be had for cheap a la Loktionov.

I just don't want moves like that to be our Plan A.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
IMO, Jurco is a move to be made after, hypothetically, Shero strikes out both in the trade market and in free agency.

We're a good RW away from having a pretty solid top-6. I'd rather go all in on finding a more established, more skilled player. If this proves fruitless, then, yes, let's acquire Jurco types and hope it sticks.

So I guess you can call that being choosy, but I see it more as a matter of asset allocation. As an organization with only a handful of attractive trade pieces... and even fewer attractive, disposable trade pieces... I'd rather put together a good package and shop it for a while, than trade a 3rd here for X buried prospect etc, and chip away at what we can offer for other players.

I think we more or less agree in that we really should be shooting for a more skilled player at RW2. I just don't like labeling people like that because we all know about the best laid plans. I mean, coming into last year Palmieri was more like an RW2 and Stempniak was an RW0. You never know what will happen.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think we more or less agree in that we really should be shooting for a more skilled player at RW2. I just don't like labeling people like that because we all know about the best laid plans. I mean, coming into last year Palmieri was more like an RW2 and Stempniak was an RW0. You never know what will happen.

Exactly.

We heard about Shero inquiring about Saad etc last summer, so I expect him to be similarly aggressive from the get-go this year, too.

Acquiring Jurco would be a Stempniak-esque move, in my eyes. Make an educated guess to fill a hole and hope it works. That's very much a late-August transaction.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Exactly.

We heard about Shero inquiring about Saad etc last summer, so I expect him to be similarly aggressive from the get-go this year, too.

Acquiring Jurco would be a Stempniak-esque move, in my eyes. Make an educated guess to fill a hole and hope it works. That's very much a late-August transaction.

To add to this, other than deadline moves, I really have no problem with the trades Shero has made in the past.

Hossa/Dupuis deal was an absolute steal. Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi was a solid trade as well. On the Jordan Staal trade and Goligoski for Neal/Niskanen Pittsburgh made out like bandits.

Looking back, the only trade that I would find questionable is the Doug Murray trade unless I missed one: http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ray_Shero/54/1

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have made no secret of my love for Goligoski on this team. It provides the balance we need and allows both Adam and Andy have more offensive opportunity. More importantly though is it pushes a player like Schlemko down to the 3rd line. I like David and think he had a good year, but part of the reason he was featured so much is because there was literally no one else that could be counted on. I mean, you can't have Adam and Andy play every single shift. He is a 3rd pairing defender, and if we resign him, that is where he should be playing next year.

The important lesson we learned this year is that we can't lean so heavily on young guys next year. It shorthanded us in a lot of ways and is a mistake that I feel Ray will correct this off-season.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
On a side note, what are the odds that Ryan Strome is available? He seems to have fallen out of favor a bit this year and still has high upside. That would sure be a fun pickup

Group Chat Legend*

Goligoski is a good top 4 option. Goli was paired with Klingberg a lot and they had issues defensively at times. Too much of the same thing on that pair. Goli with Larsson would allow him to roam more. Those two would compliment each other very well in my mind. And, as others have said, Severson would benefit big time playing with Greene.

We should be trying to pair Larsson with a defensively capable partner so he can blossom offensively; he wasn't touted for his offense all those years growing up for nothing, he just needs the chance to shine in that area.

Larsson can be a #1

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We should be trying to pair Larsson with a defensively capable partner so he can blossom offensively; he wasn't touted for his offense all those years growing up for nothing, he just needs the chance to shine in that area.

Larsson can be a #1

I just don't think that's Larsson's game TBH. I think he's more in the mold of a Greene or maybe a Seabrook, the steady responsible guy who can log tough minutes, but isn't going to put up a ton of points. I think his skating is one of the major things holding him back offensively. He doesn't have the get up and go ability that somebody like Severson has. Which is okay. There are plenty of players who are touted as a certain type of player but end up being something else. Larsson being a top notch shutdown defenseman is fine, even if he's not quite the elite all around player we were hoping for.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I just don't think that's Larsson's game TBH. I think he's more in the mold of a Greene or maybe a Seabrook, the steady responsible guy who can log tough minutes, but isn't going to put up a ton of points. I think his skating is one of the major things holding him back offensively. He doesn't have the get up and go ability that somebody like Severson has. Which is okay. There are plenty of players who are touted as a certain type of player but end up being something else. Larsson being a top notch shutdown defenseman is fine, even if he's not quite the elite all around player we were hoping for.

This. No need to force him into something he's not.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
except that we don't know he's not that because he hasn't had any opportunity

Is his production really going to increase that much with a few more offensive zone starts though? He played over 22 minutes per game this year, and it's not like he spent every defensive zone start strictly in the defensive zone. Maybe if you give him PP time, but given how good he is on the PK, is it worth sacrificing some of his minutes there just to get him PP time?

Group Chat Legend*

Is his production really going to increase that much with a few more offensive zone starts though? He played over 22 minutes per game this year, and it's not like he spent every defensive zone start strictly in the defensive zone. Maybe if you give him PP time, but given how good he is on the PK, is it worth sacrificing some of his minutes there just to get him PP time?

I dont see how you can logically make that claim, because you can't. If he has never been given the true opportunity, how can we know?

Again, there was a reason he was touted for an offensive game as well, what, do you think every scout and player reference made that up?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yup. And don't forget that Ryan Nugent Hopkins was Gretzky-lite!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I dont see how you can logically make that claim, because you can't. If he has never been given the true opportunity, how can we know?

Again, there was a reason he was touted for an offensive game as well, what, do you think every scout and player reference made that up?

Being touted to have an offensive game at 17-18 years old doesn't mean a player is going to have it at 22-23. I'm sure scouts thought Josefson would have an offensive game at one point too and he's a blackhole.

The fact is Larsson is excelling at the role they've given him, a role that isn't easy for any young defenseman. Isn't it possible that he's playing that role because it suits his skillset?

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
We shouldn't deny Larsson's offensive talent. He's scored at ~0.6 ppg pace in leagues that weren't the SHL or NHL. He's scored at lower rates in the SHL (0.3) as do most young defensemen in that league and in the NHL (0.25) because he's been relegated to that role and the team has been anemic offensively. With his passing and hockey sense, he could be scoring between 30 and 50 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad