Proposal: NJD/NSH

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Devils would obviously do that. I can't imagine Nashville would.

I would consider:

:nashville
Holtz
Vanacek
2024 1st
2025 1st

:devils
Saros

I'd even consider moving Casey. But there's really no need to panic, it's been 4 games.
unless there is retention this seems like a lot for the devils to give up.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We really don't need draft picks, from 2020 to 2025 we'll have 9. If we're dealing Saros it's to fill a need.
Preds only have 7 picks in each of the 2024 + 2025 drafts, they could absolutely use a couple more 1sts.

Not saying that's the deal to be made, but every team - especially retooling/rebuilding ones - will want 1sts.

What is Nashville's need? Seems like they could use C & D prospects.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Mercer didn't get moved for Meier, he's not getting moved for a goalie.

Something like:

NJ 1st '25
NJ 2nd '24 (conditional, if SJ gets this pick due to conditions of the Meier trade then it becomes a 2nd '25 instead)
Seamus Casey
Vitek Vanecek

for

Juuse Saros
Glass/Tomasino/Carrier/any acceptable forward depth piece
Like a future 4th or something, I don't know
I get they wouldn't move him for Meier, but in the deal I proposed, you would be getting Glass and Trenin on top of Saros. Saros would obviously be the main piece but Glass as a replacement (albeit a downgrade for sure) for Mercer and Trenin would be additional pieces in the deal that should not be scoffed at.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Preds only have 7 picks in each of the 2024 + 2025 drafts, they could absolutely use a couple more 1sts.

Not saying that's the deal to be made, but every team - especially retooling/rebuilding ones - will want 1sts.

What is Nashville's need?

We have 7 1sts and 2nds in the next two drafts + Askarov, Svechkov, L'Hereaux, Kemell, Wood, Molendyk who we recently drafted in the first.

Our biggest need is an elite talent, especially if we're dealing Saros.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We have 7 1sts and 2nds in the next two drafts + Askarov, Svechkov, L'Hereaux, Kemell, Wood, Molendyk who we recently drafted in the first.

Our biggest need is an elite talent, especially if we're dealing Saros.
Agreed. You could pile up 5 late-1sts or Holtz-like prospects, and it wouldn't move the needle for us. Again, you have to think like Saros is our Jack Hughes, he's our most important and valuable player. Yes, better than Josi or Forsberg. He happens to be a goalie, but you can't just lean on "goalies never get traded for much"... that's not relevant here... we're not TRYING to trade Saros. You're coming to us.

So I do believe the names Nemec, Hughes are the only ones in the NJ catalogue that could even be considered here. But I honestly don't feel like the Preds need a D that much. We may not have big-name prospects coming, but we do have an ample set of lesser-known ones who I think are going to surprise people. I would not take Nemec or Luke in a package for Saros either. But if I was even going to talk to your team, I'd need you to be willing to consider those names. If you aren't, then to me you're just not serious about getting Saros and there is not even any real point in talking about a trade.

• Haha
Reactions: Armourboy and MtoD

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Look, Porter, I wouldn't trade Saros either for that package OP presented. BUT, Mercer IS that level of player, very Brayden Point-like player and career arch so far. Just can't find that top-six center spot in NJ with Hughes and Hischier already there.

These are the type of players, I would absolutely pull the trigger for. Not for the holtzes of the world.
Hm, well, I don't believe you about Mercer. He's a nice player, but we have ample guys on that order. Not like I am any expert on NJ, I watch them like 2-3 times a year. So obviously I could be wrong. But I think you could be too. Just I don't see him as a "franchise player". I do really like him, don't get me wrong. Would love to have him. But I'm not trading OUR franchise player for him.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Surprised everyone is saying devils easily do this. I don’t believe that is the case. I think nj is perfectly content with vv and Schmid tandem. Holtz is filling a hole that tatar left so trading him creates a new hole. I think holtz has improved in each game so far. Preds already have Luke Evangelista and they don’t do this anyways.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Surprised everyone is saying devils easily do this. I don’t believe that is the case. I think nj is perfectly content with vv and Schmid tandem. Holtz is filling a hole that tatar left so trading him creates a new hole. I think holtz has improved in each game so far. Preds already have Luke Evangelista and they don’t do this anyways.

The difference between Saros and VV/Schmid is pretty huge though, you're getting a top 5 goalie in the league in his prime without giving up a big asset, and Trenin's pretty good for a throw in.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don't think Holtz holds enough value to headline a package right now, he'd need to be packaged with one or two of Casey, Gritsyuk, Filmon, Vilen, Hameenaho or Stillman to land someone of significance.
I also think they'd only consider this big an upgrade in the offseason, it's tough to acclimate a starting goalie midseason.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Goalie market is weird, hard to truly get a sense of trade value cause it rarely happens and when it does it's due to unique circumstances. I think a 1st, Holtz, and maybe another high pick/good prospect is basically what the Devils have available in terms of trade chips, and "easily do this" means "we'd move those trade chips for Saros." If NJ wants to use those chips to upgrade the lineup, and the main hole is at G, that's the perfect return.

And again, I don't think Nashville considers this unless they decide they simply need to move Saros to eat a bad couple years breaking in Askarov and accumulating young talent, and just look to get the highest return possible. I don't there's anyway they get a "young top 6 C" for Saros, like most deadline deals the return is just a plethora of A-/B level prospects/picks/young talent.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think people are underestimating the value of the Saros contract. It needs to be a part of the equation. Again, this is a goalie who is basically universally considered a top 5 goalie in the NHL who you would be getting for two playoff runs at age 28-30 at $5 million - which is essentially 55-60% of the current salary of top goalies. The market and cap efficiency of having that for two playoff runs - if you are a contending team - is absolutely enormous.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Isn't Turcotte edging closer to a bust?

I'm not familiar with Chromiak, but Spence seems like a good asset.
Turcotte is resurrecting his career now.
He looked great during preseason and now looking great playing in AHL.
I believe he will get his chance to play for Kings this season.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Isn't Turcotte edging closer to a bust?

I'm not familiar with Chromiak, but Spence seems like a good asset.
He's in the same scenario as Holtz (or Tomasino for that matter), great at the AHL level but question mark if they can be any kind of regular impact player at the NHL level. With Turcotte there's the addition of will he ever stay healthy enough.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Kings will be in bidding war for Saros, I would propose 2024 first, Turcotte, Chromiak and Spence.
GTFO with that kind of stuff. No real offense intended, but... is nobody even reading here? There is no world in which these kinds of offers make even an iota of sense for the Preds.

Reactions: Armourboy

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
This proposal has gone exactly like expected (much like every proposal in this forums). The OP proposal is too little for NSH, but what Predz fans are asking (Nemec, Hughes) is just outlandishly unrealistic. You will not get anything close to that value from any team. So be prepared to be dissappointed on the return or keeping Saros (which is probably the most likely scenario and just fine for the fans)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This proposal has gone exactly like expected (much like every proposal in this forums). The OP proposal is too little for NSH, but what Predz fans are asking (Nemec, Hughes) is just outlandishly unrealistic. You will not get anything close to that value from any team. So be prepared to be dissappointed on the return or keeping Saros (which is probably the most likely scenario and just fine to the fans)
I just think you have to keep in mind that us Preds fans aren't exactly "asking for" Nemec/Hughes. I'm not actually asking for anything. My point is precisely what you say: it will take something SOOOO outlandish to get Saros, that's it better to just not even ask.

You make it sound like Preds fans are seeking a certain high level of return, when that's not it at all. We're just trying to provide a frame of reference to help people understand that Saros is actually not available. We're not going to be "disappointed" by any refusal to meet those terms: we fully acknowledge nobody will. It's illustrative, not aspirational.

Reactions: Armourboy

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
****READ FIRST****

I'm going to preface this and say that I am pretty much a 3rd party fan, always a soft spot for the Predators and I do think the Devils are going to win a cup in the next 1-3 years.

Don't go for over the top reactions, I think my initial proposal might be slanted too in favor of the Predators but what do you think of it as a base, and what could be added/removed to make it as a fair as possible?

To NSH

Holtz
1st 2024
5th 2024
Vanacek
Lazar

To NJD

Saros
Trenin (50% retained)

Thanks in advance
Started with nemec/Hughes

that soft spot doesn’t exist.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This proposal has gone exactly like expected (much like every proposal in this forums). The OP proposal is too little for NSH, but what Predz fans are asking (Nemec, Hughes) is just outlandishly unrealistic. You will not get anything close to that value from any team. So be prepared to be dissappointed on the return or keeping Saros (which is probably the most likely scenario and just fine for the fans)

Id say 80% of Predators fans just dont want to trade Saros. I guess the response of "Not happening" would be better but instead you are getting "Nemec/Hughes" as in it has to be an offer we simply cant refuse.

The other 20% see trading Saros as a means to an end. Trade saros, tank, draft high picks, ????, profit. Youll get more realistic proposals or counteroffers from them. The team needs are the same though: high end prospects (preferably C or RD), 1sts round picks, replacement level goalie/cap ballist.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Started with nemec/Hughes

that soft spot doesn’t exist.

Is there a scenario where Nemec could go in?

RD is Hamilton and Marino, Siegenthaler and Hughes are covering top 4 LD for a while.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
People are seriously underrating Saros. He nearly carried Nashville to the 2nd round a couple seasons ago when Carolina was playing Nashville. He is a Stanley Cup level goalie. Imo Mercer alone doesn’t even land Saros. Nashville should ask for both Mercer and Nemec, which NJ would never do. I think NJ is good enough to get rid of both and still win the cup if they have Saros in net.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Is there a scenario where Nemec could go in?

RD is Hamilton and Marino, Siegenthaler and Hughes are covering top 4 LD for a while.
No, he's untouchable. Hamilton and Marino are only part of the team's plans arguably for the next 4 years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No, he's untouchable. Hamilton and Marino are only part of the team's plans arguably for the next 4 years.

I understand.

I always weigh that a bit, would I keep a prospect if he's apart of the plan for the long term future if I could have a real great chance at a cup? What if the team wins the cup? Would I even care that they left?

Maybe Nemec is a big part of the team and helps get the team over the finish line in 1-2 years too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad