Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Cammalleri-Henrique-??? Sign Stempniak?
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Zacha-Lappin
Wood-Blandisi-Smith-Pelly

Edit: 5th line
Kalinin-Josefson-Sislo

Lappin isn't NHL ready, Wood/Blandisi are wasted on the 4th line, and that still leaves Kalinin/Josefson off the roster.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Cammalleri-Henrique-??? Sign Stempniak?
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Zacha-Lappin
Wood-Blandisi-Smith-Pelly

Edit: 5th line
Kalinin-Josefson-Sislo

I'd rather Okposo at the top there, and Blandisi and (moreso) Wood in Albany. Prefer Pietila and Kalinin with DSP on the 4th.

I really do like Blandisi, but there are clear aspects of his game that need to be cleaned up. And when the inevitable injury occur's he is there for the call up.

But I think we are very much in line on this.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lappin isn't NHL ready, Wood/Blandisi are wasted on the 4th line, and that still leaves Kalinin/Josefson off the roster.

How do we know this? He'll be 24. He's currently over 3 shots per game in Albany. He was a very good college player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not that odd, he was better than a fourth liner with us and deserves a chance to remain better than a fourth liner, but he wasn't THAT fantabulous where he proved in twenty games he should be a top six player...if anything it's more of a dichotomy that you'd be fine with him on the 2nd line but not on the 3rd.

I'd be fine with DSP on the 3rd line. It was my original idea that started this leg of the discussion.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

After Palmieri there is very little RW depth. As of now Smith-Pelly, Sislo and Lappin are really it.

I think having good players on the 4th line is exactly how we make up for talent deficits in other areas. It would give Hynes the ability to roll 4 lines with the expectations of some production.

I firmly believe that if we got even an ounce of production out of our bottom 6 this season, the outcome would've been very different.

There is nothing wrong with playing good players on the 4th line and graduating them at some point in the future.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
After Palmieri there is very little RW depth. As of now Smith-Pelly, Sislo and Lappin are really it.

I think having good players on the 4th line is exactly how we make up for talent deficits in other areas. It would give Hynes the ability to roll 4 lines with the expectations of some production.

I firmly believe that if we got even an ounce of production out of our bottom 6 this season, the outcome would've been very different.

There is nothing wrong with playing good players on the 4th line and graduating them at some point in the future.

Its April. We have 6 months to address our lack of RW depth. The team is going to look different in a couple of months and even more different come training camp.

Its counterintuitive to play guys whose skills don't fit a team's system in regards to 4th line usage. You don't put a scoring winger on the 4th line just because. Its also the worst place for skill players to develop, especially if its being rolled out for defensive purposes against more skilled opposition. Look at the Islanders 4th line. They roll that out against top lines a lot of the time so they can get mismatches on the ice with their top 6. They get production and defense out of their 4th, which is optimal usage. They fulfill a specific purpose.

We're going to see players of the Kennedy/Gionta/Tootoo type of ilk signed. They're cheap and serve a purpose. Hopefully whomever is playing in these roles next season provide more than we've seen as of late, but inserting skill guys already on the roster down there is not the answer, especially ones lacking experience.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If Patrik Elias, Brian Gionta, Brian Rolston, Sergei Brylin, Bobby Holik could start out on the 4th line surely it won't hurt Joe freakin Blandisi and Miles Wood. Even Parise found himself on the bottom line at one point.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
If Patrik Elias, Brian Gionta, Brian Rolston, Sergei Brylin, Bobby Holik could start out on the 4th line surely it won't hurt Joe freakin Blandisi and Miles Wood. Even Parise found himself on the bottom line at one point.

You're talking about the NHL of 20+ years ago in almost every single one of those cases. The game itself was also different and the Devils of 97-99 (when Elias emerged as a full timer) and 01 when Gionta emerged were also bit different in terms of overall talent and what was expected of us lol. Its one thing when we're largely a veteran team and have talent throughout the roster. Its another when the team is trending younger and are short on skill players and the team itself is coached completely differently. It also depends on the player himself. Blandisi is not competent enough in his own zone to consider for 4th line duty since he likely wouldnt be effective in that role. Miles Wood's projection may only be bottom 6, so it remains to be seen what to do with him.

Guys like Parise didn't stay down there regularly and it was spot duty at most and we were still contending when he debuted. Parise scored his first goal in his first game with Gionta and Kozlov as linemates. He also had our top defensive pairing behind him most of the time then. He also played with Mogilny at times. That wasn't 4th line. Its not an effective position for young guys whose skill is offensive, especially not on this team as it stands.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Wood especially. I see no reason he can't start on the 4th line. His speed and size would work really well there and it would be nice to add more skill down there too.

I honestly would prefer Blender to start in Albany unless he makes some next step strides with his skating (or we don't resign Patty/sign another LW).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood especially. I see no reason he can't start on the 4th line. His speed and size would work really well there and it would be nice to add more skill down there too.

I honestly would prefer Blender to start in Albany unless he makes some next step strides with his skating (or we don't resign Patty/sign another LW).

I see it different on Wood's. He forged himself a reputation as a wrecking ball at BC. Which is great. And would be great on a 4th line.

But I'd like to see him develop his skills. Pretty sure at BC he was not a top 6 guy. He was expected to play that wrecking ball style and he did. I'd like to see him in Albany in the top 6 with expectations to bring more offense, which could then meld with his physical style.

Edit: And I do agree on Blender. If we sign Elias, that allows Blandisi to work his game in Albany, but if no Elias, I'm cool with Blandisi on that 3rd line(thought it would be very young, again, I like Elias there).
Rather Blake Pietila as the 4th line lw.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Yeah Blandisi should probably be in Albany over the NHL on the 4th line.

But as I've been saying and wanting for about 5 years now, maybe even more like 10. I'd be okay with putting skill guys on the 4th line, if we had nothing but that on the 4th line.

But most coaches and GM's still insist on using guys like Gionta and Tootoo on a 4th line. Hopefully it changes soon, just as the goons have been phased out quickly in 5 years. Hope that's the next thing to go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I see it different on Wood's. He forged himself a reputation as a wrecking ball at BC. Which is great. And would be great on a 4th line.

But I'd like to see him develop his skills. Pretty sure at BC he was not a top 6 guy. He was expected to play that wrecking ball style and he did. I'd like to see him in Albany in the top 6 with expectations to bring more offense, which could then meld with his physical style.

Edit: And I do agree on Blender. If we sign Elias, that allows Blandisi to work his game in Albany, but if no Elias, I'm cool with Blandisi on that 3rd line(thought it would be very young, again, I like Elias there).
Rather Blake Pietila as the 4th line lw.

We would have injuries that would eventually let Wood get a taste of a higher line.

Plus the point is to create a more skilled bottom 6 and that includes creating a 4th line that is tough to play against.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

I really think that this isnt a terrible idea, but i would like for him to develop more of his offensive skill in Albany for another year or two

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Zajac was just an example. Unsexy as can be, but exactly the type of player they need. It was by no means a proposal.

fair enough, i'm just tired of seeing all the trade zajac posts, usually from people who think he's not worth his contract or isn't a good player...

Travis deserves every penny of that contract and is hugely important to our team

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I'd rather Okposo at the top there, and Blandisi and (moreso) Wood in Albany. Prefer Pietila and Kalinin with DSP on the 4th.

I really do like Blandisi, but there are clear aspects of his game that need to be cleaned up. And when the inevitable injury occur's he is there for the call up.

But I think we are very much in line on this.

blandisi needs to cut the diving, got another penalty for it tonight

Game Breaker

May 10, 2007
West Hollywood, CA
Is there anything we could package for Hertl? I feel like he'd be extra valuable with his versatility when Cammalleri goes down. A mid-level FA signing? I don't really know who, but that and I'd bring Elias back.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Is there anything we could package for Hertl? I feel like he'd be extra valuable with his versatility when Cammalleri goes down. A mid-level FA signing? I don't really know who, but that and I'd bring Elias back.

probably not, I don't see SJ moving him, especially with their core aging, eventually someones gonna have to replace thornton, marleau, etc (zubrus :sarcasm:)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I have been watching the POs and whomever mentioned Yandle as hot garbage in his own end was correct.
I really like Goligoski as well
I could see him paired with Lars on top unit next year
Greene slides down with Sevs
I think that could work

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I have been watching the POs and whomever mentioned Yandle as hot garbage in his own end was correct.
I really like Goligoski as well
I could see him paired with Lars on top unit next year
Greene slides down with Sevs
I think that could work

i was big on yandle, but i'm sliding more towards goli, that awful ghostwritten players tribune article left a sour taste in my mouth

though goli will be 31 at the beginning of the season and i wouldn't want him on more than a 2 year deal

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Hertl is one of the few guys that's completely off limits in San Jose.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
i was big on yandle, but i'm sliding more towards goli, that awful ghostwritten players tribune article left a sour taste in my mouth

though goli will be 31 at the beginning of the season and i wouldn't want him on more than a 2 year deal

I don't think you'll get him here on a two year deal. Perhaps 3 but very likely with 4.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I think Pietilla and Blender could use another half season in the minors.

Wood and Santini need at least a year. Wood played one year of college hockey and santini is playing defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad