Salary Cap: NJD Major Offseason Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I was scared to write it before but since he and Zacha are doing work tonight for Albany:

Elias Zacha Lappin.

If we can a vet RW for top 6, DSP down to the 4th, if not then find out if DSP can handle top 6 duties over the coarse of a full year.

I would be stunned if a undrafted UFA signing out of college goes right onto the third line next year.

And I think DSP deserves to at least start on the third line next year. I don't know why we're still dismissing him as a fourth-liner. Maybe he'll prove to be that but after eight goals and thirteen points in just over a month plus people still want to say he should only be a fourth liner?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would be stunned if a undrafted UFA signing out of college goes right onto the third line next year.

And I think DSP deserves to at least start on the third line next year. I don't know why we're still dismissing him as a fourth-liner. Maybe he'll prove to be that but after eight goals and thirteen points in just over a month plus people still want to say he should only be a fourth liner?

I touched on the DSP as a 4th liner in another post.

Again, a Pietila Kalinin, DSP 4th line could be something a good team throws out there.

And really any thought is contingent upon us acquiring a legit top 6 RW. If we do not then I'm cool with DSP starting season on 2nd line RW.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Again, a Pietila Kalinin, DSP 4th line could be something a good team throws out there.

And really any thought is contingent upon us acquiring a legit top 6 RW. If we do not then I'm cool with DSP starting season on 2nd line RW.

DSP should not be on the 2nd line. He had a hot streak to start his run here, but he is so clearly not a top 6 RW. Should not be 2nd on the depth chart on that side. Can't see Shero allowing that to happen anyways.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

We need a top six RW so DSP ISN'T playing on the second line. There's no reason DSP can't play on the third line though. They'd realistically need two RW acquisitions to bump DSP down to the fourth line.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Who knows what them guys are thinking up there, but if I'm Edm I am not trading these young guys for picks. I want ready now guys, a Zajac type would be a great fit.

Or as you say really solid vet d-man.

I'd take back less in talent in order to get good solid proven vet's in that 27-31 yr old age bracket.

zajac isn't waiving his ntc to go to godforsaken edmonton lolllll

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
And your "comparison/point" is completely silly. Elias is NOT a 3rd line/bottom 6 forward!

When is the last time a Devils 3rd liner over age 35 (playing regular/majority minutes on the 3rd line) scored 30-40 points? You don't play guys with Elias' skill set on the 3rd line. You can't just slot a guy somewhere randomly like this. He's unlikely to be effective in that sort of role. 3rd and/or 4th lines play specific roles 99% of the time. He's still a scoring forward and is clearly diminished, the extent of which is unknown since his sample size this year is barely there.

He's 41 years old and played 16 games this season. Better players will potentially be obtainable on the open market as well as through trade that fit a bottom 6 role on this team or potential upgrades to the top 6 that will push players more suited to a 3rd line down that will fit that role better than Elias.

Its too soon to commit anything to a 41 year old coming off less than a 1/4 of a season of ice time regardless of past accomplishments. If it works, by all means he should be brought back. I don't think we're even close to that being decided yet. The offseason has barely even begun, and largely hasn't at all yet.

So he's not good enough to be on the team but he's too good to play 3rd line minutes? The league has changed, 3rd lines arent always defense specific players. Elias is still a capable player defensively anyway. Now I'm not saying that he should be handed a spot by any means, but this notion that he wouldn't even be able to get 20 points is just insanely stupid. He had 8 in only 16 games this year on a bum leg and 38 in last years dumpster fire of a season. I digress though. If he proves healthy and they want him back I think most would be happy. My entire point with this was that calling him finished and washed up isn't entirely true.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If DSP doesn't pan out on the 3rd line, who do we have there?

Nobody really. Our depth on that side is terrible. We've got plenty of guys who can play the left side, but after Palmieri and DSP there's basically nothing. I doubt Lappin will be ready to step into a top 9 role, if he ever even becomes an NHL player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We need a top six RW so DSP ISN'T playing on the second line. There's no reason DSP can't play on the third line though. They'd realistically need two RW acquisitions to bump DSP down to the fourth line.

It seems odd that you think DSP on either the 4th line or 2nd line are bad ideas.

To me it could still go either way. Sure 3rd line goes in line with the thought that there is untapped potential there, yet doesn't heap too much responsibility on him, it's a safe middle ground, I'm not opposed to it(It was my proposed 3rd line from the get here) but I'm not locked into it.

I've been saying for awhile's now a top 6 RW is priority this offseason. And if we are able to pull that off, and if Lappin's very impressive run in Albany is a sign of something bigger, then I'm cool with DSP on 4th line. But let's say it doesn't happen, we don't find a RW in the offseason, I won't be that upset if DSP is penciled in as #2 RW to start next season.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Elias is not a capable player defensively anymore. He gets wrecked in possession because he can't win puck battles.

With that said I'm torn on bringing him back. He could be an asset to the powerplay and probably be a good mentor to Zacha.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nobody really. Our depth on that side is terrible. We've got plenty of guys who can play the left side, but after Palmieri and DSP there's basically nothing. I doubt Lappin will be ready to step into a top 9 role, if he ever even becomes an NHL player.

What do we know about Lappin?

Very solid college player. doing very well in Albany right now, and by no means riding a shooting % hot streak. He pours on shots. Heck at 8.6% shooting one might say he's snakebit. He'll be 24 in Nov. If he ever is to be an NHL'r I don't see why he isn't ready to go at the start of next year.

And remember Shero did not wait long to ink him to a to an NHL deal. Less then 10 games in Albany and they felt confident enough to get him signed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It seems odd that you think DSP on either the 4th line or 2nd line are bad ideas.

To me it could still go either way. Sure 3rd line goes in line with the thought that there is untapped potential there, yet doesn't heap too much responsibility on him, it's a safe middle ground, I'm not opposed to it(It was my proposed 3rd line from the get here) but I'm not locked into it.

I've been saying for awhile's now a top 6 RW is priority this offseason. And if we are able to pull that off, and if Lappin's very impressive run in Albany is a sign of something bigger, then I'm cool with DSP on 4th line. But let's say it doesn't happen, we don't find a RW in the offseason, I won't be that upset if DSP is penciled in as #2 RW to start next season.

Not that odd, he was better than a fourth liner with us and deserves a chance to remain better than a fourth liner, but he wasn't THAT fantabulous where he proved in twenty games he should be a top six player...if anything it's more of a dichotomy that you'd be fine with him on the 2nd line but not on the 3rd.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What do we know about Lappin?

Very solid college player. Killing it in Albany right now, and by no means riding a shooting % hot streak. He pours on shots. He'll be 24 in Nov. If he ever is to be an NHL'r I don't see why he isn't ready to go at the start of next year.

And remember Shero did not wait long to ink him to a to an NHL deal. Less then 10 games in Albany and they felt confident enough to get him signed.

That's fine, but how many of these guys get signed every year that never amount to anything in the NHL?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Elias is not a capable player defensively anymore. He gets wrecked in possession because he can't win puck battles.

With that said I'm torn on bringing him back. He could be an asset to the powerplay and probably be a good mentor to Zacha.

But how much of that can be attributed to injury?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That's fine, but how many of these guys get signed every year that never amount to anything in the NHL?

But he'll be 24, why not find out now? Because it would ruin our chances at a cup run?

Really another year in Albany does what for his development?

Let's see how he handles these playoffs. Maybe I'll lose my enthusiasm if he clam's up. But if he continues putting up #'s like he is doing now? Lappin for President!!!

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I doubt he'd be an asset on the PP. And if he isn't, how long is he left there? Much as I like the idea of him as a mentor to Zacha, it's not a sure thing that Zacha makes the team, and far from a sure thing that Elias can stay healthy enough to play most of a season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I only want Elias back if we can't find some upgrades.

But if it comes down to the treasure trove of flotsam and jetsam that we had in the bottom 6 last year, I'd take my chances bringing him back over the guys that will struggle to break 15 or 20 points next year. Josefson will struggle to break 15, as he can't stay healthy enough games. And if he plays 70+ games next year, I would be shocked if he exceeded the 20 point mark. I don't know what would be more shocking for him. Eclipsing the 70 game mark or eclipsing the 15 point mark.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I doubt he'd be an asset on the PP. And if he isn't, how long is he left there? Much as I like the idea of him as a mentor to Zacha, it's not a sure thing that Zacha makes the team, and far from a sure thing that Elias can stay healthy enough to play most of a season.

If they can find a place for freaking Josefson on the PP they can find one for Patty, ironically enough probably playing the JJ role of the halfwall distributor.

I do share the cynicism of Elias staying healthy, which is why I'll be glad if they can wait on him till August to see where he is and where they are in terms of a roster.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If they can find a place for freaking Josefson on the PP they can find one for Patty, ironically enough probably playing the JJ role of the halfwall distributor.

The underlying anger towards Josefson in this post made me chuckle:)

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I kind of laugh when I hear that we might not have room for some people. We had to have career years from Kpalm and Henrique just to finish where we did in goals scored.

Here are my predictions for the offseason

We will go all in on Kyle Okposo. He fits the age and talent we are looking for and plays the position we need the most.

We will bring in a veteran 3rd line center that can produce offensively. I don't want to have to count on a rookie at the spot and would rather have proven depth down the middle. We simply need more scoring from that line and it can't be ignored anymore. Someone like Frans Nielsen.

John Merrill will be traded and we will bring in another top 4 defender. Larsson and Greene need to be allowed to do more offensively. To balance things out next year I want a Greene Severson pairing and a Goligoski Larsson pairing. I don't want to see our best 2 all around defenders buried in our own zone 80% of the time next year.

Elias won't be back. He simply isn't reliable anymore and I fully believe Shero will move on from him.

We will make a strong cap related trade with Chicago or Tampa Bay. I sense this kind of situation where we will trade Merrill.

This is the offseason we fix our depth and allow us to make a run next season and damn am I excited for it.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Agree Shero should / will go after Okposo.

Apart from a top 6 RW, though, I don't see a lot of big name FA signings. Shero picked up vets on the cheap for short term deals last year. I see that as the likely route for the Devils 3rd and 4th lines.

Shero made it clear that the goal was to build a team that could compete for the Cup on a regular basis. He wants to build from within / with young players.

Heck - it's possible that Shero will decide Okposo is too old for what he wants. Okposo turned 28 today.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Cammalleri-Henrique-??? Sign Stempniak?
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Zacha-Lappin
Wood-Blandisi-Smith-Pelly

Edit: 5th line
Kalinin-Josefson-Sislo

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I would consider this a great offseason:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Okposo