Proposal: NJD M.Mcleod for EDM J.Puljujarvi

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
We're flush with LH shots. I'd want RH shot coming back for Puljujarvi.

Michael McLeod doesn't have a shot. If there is a warm blooded creature between him and the net it's not going in.

He takes faceoffs and knocks into things but that's about it. Once in a blue moon he'll make a nice pass.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
McLeod doesn't bring you much offense if that's what you're hoping for. He hustles, is a solid PKer and is very good at getting through the NZ with speed. But it's, at best, a lateral move if you get the best version of McLeod, which is no guarantee.

Puljujarvi - 46 GP - 10 pts
Mcleod - 45 GP - 18 pts and the worst CF% player on the Devils, unlike Puljujarvi

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Id do it if we had any other C in the organization that could step in for McLeod but we don’t. We have zero real C depth without screwing our lines up. Mercer technically could be a C but he is far better on wing .Same with Sharangovich. We don’t really have a good option for 4C besides McLeod. I’d way rather give up Wood but his contract makes him useless to the Oilers.
If we had another 4c lined up to replace McLeod then sure , I’d be all for it

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Done for me. I don’t even want McLeod, or I should say we don’t technically need McLeod in a Puljujarvi deal. If Devils will take Puljujarvi just send us a late pick. The value for us will be cap space to get a top 4 D upgrade.

Reactions: Macheteops

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Id do it if we had any other C in the organization that could step in for McLeod but we don’t. We have zero real C depth without screwing our lines up. Mercer technically could be a C but he is far better on wing .Same with Sharangovich. We don’t really have a good option for 4C besides McLeod. I’d way rather give up Wood but his contract makes him useless to the Oilers.
If we had another 4c lined up to replace McLeod then sure , I’d be all for it
I'm sure a GM is not limited to one trade... NJ can bring in a Toews or ROR to fill a C spot..

It appears NJ needs someone like Ryan McLeod more than EDM needing a Mike McLeod.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Id like to keep McLeod in NJ - hes an awesome fourth line center who does just about all we need but score more.. in which case hed be a third line center!

The lack of scoring will also help to keep McLeod cheap going forward. There's value in a guy who has a role and plays to it dependably at an affordable price.

Whereas Puljujarvi...doesn't really have a role. He's not a Top-6 scorer because he doesn't have the skill or awareness to be properly productive doing that, even alongside two of the best players in the game. But he's not good enough defensively to be any kind of shutdown bottom-6 grinder either. He's paid quite a bit for whatever it is that he offers. A big awkward tweener.

The only way this would make any sense for the Devils is if they are fools, and think that they are somehow going to be able to get "more" out of Puljujarvi offensively. Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary at this point, demonstrating that he just doesn't have the puck skills, awareness, or vision and hockey smarts to be effective like that.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I think Edmonton would give puljujarvi away at this point. Anybody who will take his salary.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The lack of scoring will also help to keep McLeod cheap going forward. There's value in a guy who has a role and plays to it dependably at an affordable price.

Whereas Puljujarvi...doesn't really have a role. He's not a Top-6 scorer because he doesn't have the skill or awareness to be properly productive doing that, even alongside two of the best players in the game. But he's not good enough defensively to be any kind of shutdown bottom-6 grinder either. He's paid quite a bit for whatever it is that he offers. A big awkward tweener.

The only way this would make any sense for the Devils is if they are fools, and think that they are somehow going to be able to get "more" out of Puljujarvi offensively. Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary at this point, demonstrating that he just doesn't have the puck skills, awareness, or vision and hockey smarts to be effective like that.
Ones who actually watch Puljujarvi play know this is false. Puljujarvi is one of the better Oilers defensively and looks pretty decent in a bottom 6 grinder role.. Watching the last game he looked very confident crashing and banging with Kostin as linemate until McDavid started centering the duo.. lost the plot then and looked clueless on the ice afterwards. He likely just need a change of scenery ala Kostin to get going again

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm sure a GM is not limited to one trade... NJ can bring in a Toews or ROR to fill a C spot..

It appears NJ needs someone like Ryan McLeod more than EDM needing a Mike McLeod.

No they couldn't as NJ is an LTIR team and the $2M+ additional cap him that they'd absorb in a McLeod/Puljujarvi trade would eat up what little cap space they do have.

Just doesn't make any sense for NJ to make the trade as McLeod serves a key role as a 4th line defensive center that is fantastic at faceoffs. Would be a big hole in their lineup if he's traded for a guy with worse stats than Zetterlund, who currently can't even get into the lineup as he's been a healthy scratch.

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No they couldn't as NJ is an LTIR team and the $2M+ additional cap him that they'd absorb in a McLeod/Puljujarvi trade would eat up what little cap space they do have.

Just doesn't make any sense for NJ to make the trade as McLeod serves a key role as a 4th line defensive center that is fantastic at faceoffs. Would be a big hole in their lineup if he's traded for a guy with worse stats than Zetterlund, who currently can't even get into the lineup as he's been a healthy scratch.
I assumed NJ had loads of cap space.. Yeh I guess that changes things.

McLeod is a tenacious player. He definitely doesn't take "no" for an answer.
Let's not go there...thanks

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I think Puljujarvi is the superior player in every way, so I’d love to do the trade, but I don’t know who’d play center for NJ in McLeod’s place.

There’s also that. McLeod is close to league minimum and the Devils are already over the cap.

Zero chance of that and I don't watch McLeod but no way is Pulju superior in every way. If so McLeod isn't an NHL player

Reactions: OKR

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He was apparently a part of that World Juniors SA scandal. No thank you.

That’s never been reported. Nobody which players are involved. Maybe you just chose a poor choice of words.

Players affiliated with the team won’t be moved until the whole thing is cleared up though. That is true.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That’s never been reported. Nobody which players are involved. Maybe you just chose a poor choice of words.

Players affiliated with the team won’t be moved until the whole thing is cleared up though. That is true.
The issue with McLeod is we have statements from almost every player on that team except for 2-3 at this point I think. We have guys that have said they weren't in the province, they weren't at the event, or they weren't involved.

You would think if he was not at the event or in the province, he says that day one. That can easily be proved wrong if he's lying.

All he has said is he's cooperating with the investigation and will not comment on it. We even have statements from a player saying they were in the room, saw what was happening, and left and didn't take part.

We have zero from McLeod.

So it doesn't look good for him. Even if he is 100% innocent which is of course possible unless proven otherwise, he is unknown and hasn't made a statement. So that ends up with the result of him being extremely toxic for other GMs.

Reactions: spaghtti

PK

Jul 11, 2022
The issue with McLeod is we have statements from almost every player on that team except for 2-3 at this point I think. We have guys that have said they weren't in the province, they weren't at the event, or they weren't involved.

You would think if he was not at the event or in the province, he says that day one. That can easily be proved wrong if he's lying.

All he has said is he's cooperating with the investigation and will not comment on it. We even have statements from a player saying they were in the room, saw what was happening, and left and didn't take part.

We have zero from McLeod.

So it doesn't look good for him. Even if he is 100% innocent which is of course possible unless proven otherwise, he is unknown and hasn't made a statement. So that ends up with the result of him being extremely toxic for other GMs.
Staying quiet doesn’t mean anything at all one way or the other.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
No way

We need a 3C (or a winger to push Haula to 3C role), if we trade McLeod there is no option down in Utica to fill the 4C role

he's the hardest worker guy on the team too
Hard work can only help so much if you suck as bad as he does.

He’s a good PKer and a mediocre 4th line center. I’d be more worried about what the PK would look like without him than what the 4th line would.

Like the deal in a vacuum, even just to get him off the team, but might just not be the right time for it.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hard work can only help so much if you suck as bad as he does.

He’s a good PKer and a mediocre 4th line center. I’d be more worried about what the PK would look like without him than what the 4th line would.

Like the deal in a vacuum, even just to get him off the team, but might just not be the right time for it.
I mean, he's a 4th for a reason

he's on pace for 33 points, and is a net plus-minus positive player and a good PKiller on top of being an elite skater. That's pretty good for a 4C and he could've had more points if BMW line didn't suffer injuries. Also, if Lindy didn't run him out there every single dzone faceoff he would probably have decent corsi numbers too

Puljujarvi is expensive and probably not better than what we got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad