Proposal: NJD: Hall + 34OA <=> COL: 4OA (cond. '20/'21 2nd)

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
Hall won't be moved before or at the draft.

Hall will only be moved later in the summer after Shero has proposed his plan moving forward. If Hall isn't on board then he'll be on the market.

This is literally public information.

Please provide a source for where Shero stated he wouldn't move Hall at the draft. Or even where he openly declared with certainty how he would play this process out.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure whom this was directed at or what it means.

It’s pretty clearly directed at those proposing packages for Hall that include 2019 draft picks, and it pretty clearly means that every shred of information we’ve gotten (from Shero, from Hall, from Ferris) indicates that there will be no rush whatsoever to extend Hall immediately upon eligibility.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I’m not adding a single thing to Hall in a trade. If the Avs don’t want to pony up 4th overall or assets equivalent then they can kick rocks. We will deal him elsewhere IF we deal him at all. The Devils are not going to give away a year removed MVP discounted and they certainly aren’t attaching another good asset (34th overall) to him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For one year of Hall I would agree.

However if Hall agrees to sign long term in Colorado... the Avs would be stupid to not trade 4OA for him.

1. Turcotte is likely going to Chicago so you would draft Byram and your defense is already pretty good.

2. Hall is in his prime and 1 year removed from being league MVP, you could only hope that Turcotte/Byram could maybe turn into that kind of player

3. Avs have a glaring need for a top 6 winger. Mackinnon/Hall would be the fastest duo literally ever and followed by Rantanen/Landeskog would give teams nightmares

4. You have plenty of cap space for him and it would be wise to take advantage of Mackinnon’s absolute steal of a contract before he’s due for his huge raise in 4 years

It still makes little sense even for a signed Hall.

We have tonnes of cap space right now but that doesnt mean we have cap space forever. Rantanen will get 10M this summer and hopefully Barrie gets an extension as well that comes with a 2-2.5M raise.

If we traded for and signed Hall for let's say 11M... that means by the 2020-21 season the Avs will have over 40M spent between Hall, Rantanen, Barrie, MacKinnon, and Landeskog.

That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem, in fact it likely lines up closely to what most competitive teams will be spending on its 5 best players.

However it will become a problem in the 2-3 years after that when Mack jumps from 6.3M to 14-15M and Gabe from 5.5 up to 8-9M.

My point is long term it is going to be imperative for the Avs that we have good quality depth for cheap if we want to be successful and the 4th overall pick is very likely to be a big part of that cheap depth.

I'm not against trading for Hall and in fact I agree that he checks all the boxes for the Avs needs going forward. But if we cant find a way to do it without including the 4th pick we need to let it go.

I think we have the assets to get him. Between #16, Martin Kaut, Tyson Jost, Shane Bowers, Nikita Zadorov, Sam Girard(If necessary I dont think he should be off limits), as well as 2020 draft picks I think we have the ammo to get a deal done.

The 4th overall pick simply shouldn't be part of that ammo. I mean when was the last time a known Top 5 pick was traded outright for an NHL player? It just doesnt happen.

The other factor here is that Hall cant even sign an extension until July 1st so we aren't talking about a signed Hall for the #4 pick anyhow.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No I definitely saw it.

But it doesn’t make a difference when the 4th overall is involved.

Top 5 picks never get traded. Other really good players have been acquired without ever having to deal a top 5 pick.

Imo, it just seems unreasonable to think the Avs would trade the 4th overall pick and could potentially have Hall for only 1 year.
Personally, I don’t think the Avs would even move the 4th even with Hall on an extension. It’s not their MO at all.

2008, Leafs acquired #5

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Poor asset management from Colorado's perspective

Keep the 4th overall pick. Bring in a potential all-star talent on an ELC. And use the cap space to sign Hall next summer when he becomes a UFA

Reactions: Weast

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
It’s pretty clearly directed at those proposing packages for Hall that include 2019 draft picks, and it pretty clearly means that every shred of information we’ve gotten (from Shero, from Hall, from Ferris) indicates that there will be no rush whatsoever to extend Hall immediately upon eligibility.

First, I think you're taking the "proposal" concept on this forum a bit too seriously. It's a fan platform for tossing ideas around to gauge other teams' fans' perspectives on the value of their/our asset(s). I don't personally believe Hall is getting traded before August, and I can't imagine any other (sensible) fan thinking differently.

Second, it's in Hall's and Shero's best interests to keep dialogue open and set a positive tone on the situation. Hall is getting a contract from somewhere; if he isn't sure if that's NJD, he has zero reason to make upsetting statements that could hinder that process. Likewise, for Shero; there is zero benefit for him to say anything other than "there's no rush" when the ball is much less so in his court. What you, and I, and everyone else are reading is good PR work by both sides. That's not to say there isn't truth to any of it, but it's also exactly what both parties should be saying right now.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
It still makes little sense even for a signed Hall.

We have tonnes of cap space right now but that doesnt mean we have cap space forever. Rantanen will get 10M this summer and hopefully Barrie gets an extension as well that comes with a 2-2.5M raise.

If we traded for and signed Hall for let's say 11M... that means by the 2020-21 season the Avs will have over 40M spent between Hall, Rantanen, Barrie, MacKinnon, and Landeskog.

That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem, in fact it likely lines up closely to what most competitive teams will be spending on its 5 best players.

However it will become a problem in the 2-3 years after that when Mack jumps from 6.3M to 14-15M and Gabe from 5.5 up to 8-9M.

My point is long term it is going to be imperative for the Avs that we have good quality depth for cheap if we want to be successful and the 4th overall pick is very likely to be a big part of that cheap depth.

I'm not against trading for Hall and in fact I agree that he checks all the boxes for the Avs needs going forward. But if we cant find a way to do it without including the 4th pick we need to let it go.

I think we have the assets to get him. Between #16, Martin Kaut, Tyson Jost, Shane Bowers, Nikita Zadorov, Sam Girard(If necessary I dont think he should be off limits), as well as 2020 draft picks I think we have the ammo to get a deal done.

The 4th overall pick simply shouldn't be part of that ammo. I mean when was the last time a known Top 5 pick was traded outright for an NHL player? It just doesnt happen.

The other factor here is that Hall cant even sign an extension until July 1st so we aren't talking about a signed Hall for the #4 pick anyhow.
Phil Kessel was dealt for 3rd overall + (Turned out to be Seguin and Hamilton)

It’s certainly rare, I will give you that. But how often is a player of Hall’s caliber available via trade? That is also rare. Hall is a special, special player.

I understand why you wouldn’t, but if I’m the GM I pull the trigger.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hall can’t be re-signed before July 1st So the condition on the 1st round pick isn’t possible.
The a wink win nudge nudge, I get your first born if it doesnt happen, from Shero since he can talk to Hall now and they lay out the exact terms he re-signs to on 7.1 with Sakic.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

It’s certainly rare, I will give you that. But how often is a player of Hall’s caliber available via trade? That is also rare. Hall is a special, special player.

And that turned out to be arguably Torontos worst trade in franchise history. Its either that or the Niedermayer draft pick they traded away.

But OP is onto something, NJD will get more this offseason than at the deadline assuming Hall is going to walk either way.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Poor asset management from Colorado's perspective

Keep the 4th overall pick. Bring in a potential all-star talent on an ELC. And use the cap space to sign Hall next summer when he becomes a UFA
I agree. OP is assuming COL sees an opening this year to win it all.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Phil Kessel was traded for undefined picks. Toronto sure as hell would’t have done that had they known they would trade away 2nd and 7th overall.

Joe Sakic would need to be an obtuse moron to trade 4th overall for a year of Hall.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Hall is not worth 4th overall. Not with his contract status. Jersey has got to sign him or expect rental prices with conditional picks.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Avs will def move 1 of their 1st round picks. If that becomes for a signed Taylor Hall then it'll be a good deal for them.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
2008, Leafs acquired #5
Eesh, they acquired 5th by tradin the 7th.

So pretty much once in 15 years. And the team dropped 2 spots.

I don’t consider that the same as trading it away.

But if you want to be a stickler...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad