Proposal: NJD: Hall + 34OA <=> COL: 4OA (cond. '20/'21 2nd)

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
To NJD:
COL 2019 1st (4OA)
COL 2020 2nd - conditional (condition: Hall re-signs before 2020 draft)
COL 2021 2nd - conditional (condition: Hall re-signs after 2020 draft, but anytime before 2020-2021 season)​

To COL:
Taylor Hall
NJD 2019 2nd (34OA)

I'm curious to know how COL fans feel about this proposal. Jeff Skinner's deal has me worried Hall will ask (and get) more than he's probably worth, with him being just a year out from UFA. And I'm not convinced now is the time for NJD to start paying top-dollar for (essentially) a UFA. If Byram is on the board when COL is on the clock, from a Devils' fan perspective, I'd much rather get an earlier (and a more known) return on Hall than risk getting mix of unknown prospects and draft picks down the line. The idea of walking away from the draft with a potential 1C and 1D and letting the rebuild play out for another year or two is worth letting Hall go IMO.

For COL, which I see as being in "win now" mode, they get a 90+ point scorer, a year removed from winning league MVP, for the price of dropping 30 spots in fairly deep 2019 draft. If Hall re-signs, they give back what will most likely be a much worse 2nd rounder than 34OA. They lose out on Byram (in this scenario), so that's the real question: is it worth passing on Byram (or whomever else you covet) to aggressively push for the cup next season (and beyond)?

I'm also curious to know what Devils' fans think. I feel most are either strongly in the "re-sign Hall" boat, or on the other end of the spectrum.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
To NJD:
COL 2019 1st (4OA)
COL 2020 2nd - conditional
(condition: Hall re-signs before 2020 draft)
COL 2021 2nd - conditional (condition: Hall re-signs after 2020 draft, but anytime before 2020-2021 season)​

To COL:
Taylor Hall
NJD 2019 2nd (34OA)

I'm curious to know how COL fans feel about this proposal. Jeff Skinner's deal has me worried Hall will ask (and get) more than he's probably worth, with him being just a year out from UFA. And I'm not convinced now is the time for NJD to start paying top-dollar for (essentially) a UFA. If Byram is on the board when COL is on the clock, from a Devils' fan perspective, I'd much rather get an earlier (and a more known) return on Hall than risk getting mix of unknown prospects and draft picks down the line. The idea of walking away from the draft with a potential 1C and 1D and letting the rebuild play out for another year or two is worth letting Hall go IMO.

For COL, which I see as being in "win now" mode, they get a 90+ point scorer, a year removed from winning league MVP, for the price of dropping 30 spots in fairly deep 2019 draft. If Hall re-signs, they give back what will most likely be a much worse 2nd rounder than 34OA. They lose out on Byram (in this scenario), so that's the real question: is it worth passing on Byram (or whomever else you covet) to aggressively push for the cup next season (and beyond)?

I'm also curious to know what Devils' fans think. I feel most are either strongly in the "re-sign Hall" boat, or on the other end of the spectrum.

There is no chance the Avs will trade the 4th without already having an agreed upon contract with Hall.

The 4th overall for 1 year of Hall is an absolute no-go.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I could live with it BUT would need to be sure that Hall is re-signing for a reasonable deal. otherwise I'd prefer keeping the 4th.

Reactions: NJDevs

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
The third most valuable asset in the deal is the Devils 2nd. I think there has to be more coming back to the Devils in the event Hall does sign an extension. I agree that it doesn't need to be upfront though.

Maybe it's as simple as taking out the Devils 2nd entirely or having a conditional 2021 2nd round pick instead transferring over to the Avalanche if no extension is signed.

Unlike surely a bunch of people who post in this thread after me, you at least acknowledged that no trade with an extension in place can be made at the 2019 draft.

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
There is no chance the Avs will trade the 4th without already having an agreed upon contract with Hall.

The 4th overall for 1 year of Hall is an absolute no-go.

Well, to be clear, it's Hall + 34OA... with the idea being COL going "all-in" for a 2019-2020 cup run.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not to excited about trading Hall for a draft pick based package. We are already loaded with picks this draft. I'd much prefer a deal with a young proven player coming back.

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
The third most valuable asset in the deal is the Devils 2nd. I think there has to be more coming back to the Devils in the event Hall does sign an extension. I agree that it doesn't need to be upfront though.

With Byram in play, my thinking is a cost-controlled, potential 1D is worth (a soon-to-be UFA) Hall + 34OA, especially for a franchise not quite sure of it's rebuild status.

Maybe it's as simple as taking out the Devils 2nd entirely or having a conditional 2021 2nd round pick instead transferring over to the Avalanche if no extension is signed.

If I'm COL if wouldn't do this. 4OA in this draft is just too valuable.

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
I'm not to excited about trading Hall for a draft pick based package. We are already loaded with picks this draft. I'd much prefer a deal with a young proven player coming back.

I guess it depends on your expectations of Byram as a prospect. I fully expect him to be a 1D at some point. For me, trading a 27 year old winger looking for UFA dollars, in exchange for a cost-controlled 1D is a no-brainer. Add in that I don't believe we're as far along in our rebuild as most Devils fans would like to think, and it's an even more obvious decision IMO.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well, to be clear, it's Hall + 34OA... with the idea being COL going "all-in" for a 2019-2020 cup run.
No I definitely saw it.

But it doesn’t make a difference when the 4th overall is involved.

Top 5 picks never get traded. Other really good players have been acquired without ever having to deal a top 5 pick.

Imo, it just seems unreasonable to think the Avs would trade the 4th overall pick and could potentially have Hall for only 1 year.
Personally, I don’t think the Avs would even move the 4th even with Hall on an extension. It’s not their MO at all.

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
No I definitely saw it.

But it doesn’t make a difference when the 4th overall is involved.

Top 5 picks never get traded. Other really good players have been acquired without ever having to deal a top 5 pick.

Imo, it just seems unreasonable to think the Avs would trade the 4th overall pick and could potentially have Hall for only 1 year.
Personally, I don’t think the Avs would even move the 4th even with Hall on an extension. It’s not their MO at all.

Fair, though I'm curious what you mean by "It’s not their MO at all."

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
If there's no extension than not a chance in hell. Karlsson returned much less at the same point in his contract. Hall doesn't return a top 5 pick for one year. I'd do this trade and add a bit on avs side if he came signed at around 10-10.5M

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
A one year 28 year old rental doesn't get you a top 10 pick, even if it is one as good as Hall. Avs say no even before the conditional picks are there.

That pick will fit in far better with their core and better address their needs.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Wait so if Hall doesn't sign with Colorado they're only getting back the 4th AND GIVING UP 34? No way. The 34th pick in this draft is way more valuable than conditional 2nds.

culturaldingo

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah Hall isn't worth near that. Look at past trades for big names with 1 UFA year left. Plus all his injuries. Hes worth a 1st and couple b+ prospects

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Fair, though I'm curious what you mean by "It’s not their MO at all."

Sakic’s M.O. has been to be patient and continue to build through the draft.

I highly doubt he’s going to completely go against that by moving the 4th overall.

The 16th? Sure. Not the 4thz

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Signed Hall, insteantly yes. Un-signed, maybe, but probably still no. The Avs aren't quite in "all-in" mode yet.

Id be cool with 16th plus a bunch of conditional picks.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Not a chance in hell. Absolutely awful. 4th overall is not being traded
For one year of Hall I would agree.

However if Hall agrees to sign long term in Colorado... the Avs would be stupid to not trade 4OA for him.

1. Turcotte is likely going to Chicago so you would draft Byram and your defense is already pretty good.

2. Hall is in his prime and 1 year removed from being league MVP, you could only hope that Turcotte/Byram could maybe turn into that kind of player

3. Avs have a glaring need for a top 6 winger. Mackinnon/Hall would be the fastest duo literally ever and followed by Rantanen/Landeskog would give teams nightmares

4. You have plenty of cap space for him and it would be wise to take advantage of Mackinnon’s absolute steal of a contract before he’s due for his huge raise in 4 years

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If you’re still proposing Hall trades including 2019 draft picks, you haven’t been following the situation, and you shouldn’t be issuing a (uninformed) opinion.

This isn’t happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad