Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Timo Meier signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8.8M AAV)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's so many monies. I like Meier, but i'm a bit wary of signing guys like him to these sorts of deals. This is like a "core, line driving" sort of player contract. I don't know that Meier is actually that.

But having Hughes locked in at an absolute bargain, and Hischier on a quality value deal as well...i guess that gives them some extra flexibility to play with elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: quietbruinfan

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Not to be that guy, but so far statistically this is looking to be one of the worst value contracts for a winger signed after October 2020

That's so many monies. I like Meier, but i'm a bit wary of signing guys like him to these sorts of deals. This is like a "core, line driving" sort of player contract. I don't know that Meier is actually that.

But having Hughes locked in at an absolute bargain, and Hischier on a quality value deal as well...i guess that gives them some extra flexibility to play with elsewhere.
Sure, but it’s still up in the air wether or not it will bite them in the ass. And that should never be the standard

Reactions: Nemec and Laus723

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not to be that guy, but so far statistically this is looking to be one of the worst value contracts for a winger signed after October 2020

Sure, but it’s still up in the air wether or not it will bite them in the ass. And that should never be the standard

I certainly don't love it. And the idea of, "we've got these other bargain contracts so we can splurge" is a bit iffy as reasoning.

But i think everyone always knew this was the sort of contract it was going to end up being. That's part of why his trade value was depressed, relative to what a player like him otherwise would've likely fetched on the market.

Reactions: Laus723

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I certainly don't love it. And the idea of, "we've got these other bargain contracts so we can splurge" is a bit iffy as reasoning.

But i think everyone always knew this was the sort of contract it was going to end up being. That's part of why his trade value was depressed, relative to what a player like him otherwise would've likely fetched on the market.
Yeah good point I agree

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

His trade value was depressed because he was on an expiring contract. If the Sharks had done a sign and trade with this contract the return would have been better. That had very little to do with the sort of player he is.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
His trade value was depressed because he was on an expiring contract. If the Sharks had done a sign and trade with this contract the return would have been better. That had very little to do with the sort of player he is.

That's what i'm saying. As a player, Meier would've been worth a heck of a lot more in a vacuum. But that expiring contract, and more specifically...the huge QO looming, meant that he was always going to get a bit of an overpayment contract, like 8x$8.8M. That suppressed his value, relative to what he'd otherwise be worth "as a player".

Reactions: wintersej

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
That's what i'm saying. As a player, Meier would've been worth a heck of a lot more in a vacuum. But that expiring contract, and more specifically...the huge QO looming, meant that he was always going to get a bit of an overpayment contract, like 8x$8.8M. That suppressed his value, relative to what he'd otherwise be worth "as a player".
Got it, read it that it was more just based in the player and not the broader situation.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It's three games. Holy crap. Calm down.

Agree that there's no need to panic.

However, he's now played 24 regular season games and 11 playoff contests for the Devils.

To this point there is little indication that he will be the player he was when he had 76 points a few years ago.

Making both the contract he received and the players and draft capital expended to get him look like resources that weren't worth acquiring him.

But there is still time for things to work out.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Agree that there's no need to panic.

However, he's now played 24 regular season games and 11 playoff contests for the Devils.

To this point there is little indication that he will be the player he was when he had 76 points a few years ago.

Making both the contract he received and the players and draft capital expended to get him look like resources that weren't worth acquiring him.

But there is still time for things to work out.
For me he went from a team playing for nothing to a team playing for everything. He was already injured when he got traded (upper body) then got re-injured in the playoffs. He got a chance to start fresh in the preseason and so for me, it's only 3 games. If we get to 10 games and he has like 2 points or something, then we can worry a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad