Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Timo Meier signs extension with the Devils (8 years, $8.8M AAV)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Only the fact that we’re going to be relying on Hughes and Bahl, both very young defenseman, already. Going forward with Hughes and Nemec in every-day roles might be asking a lot. If we had 5 other established vets, Nemec would be absolutely secure.

I did forget Boqvist. Well, if Holtz isn’t ready, Boqvist can fill that slot. He can also be the 13th forward.
I don't really have any concerns about Luke as long as he's paired with Marino. If Luke needed to be the anchor of that pairing as a 20 year old rookie - absolutely I'd be concerned. But Marino has shown he can carry the middle pairing without issue.

I don't love the idea of Bahl and Nemec together, nor do I like Brendan Smith with either of them (although I think there's a strong chance Smith gets waived/sent to Utica in camp). But when your top-4 is this good and balanced, you can afford to shelter your bottom pairing guys somewhat.

Reactions: My3Sons

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
IMG_0144.jpeg

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
While he did finish game 7 - he did miss game 1 vs. Carolina. But that was likely just due to swelling in the nose / difficult to breathe at a hocey pace.

But you are overall correct - he's fine.
Shit you’re right, that slipped my mind. With only one night off it was definitely too quick of a turnaround for the swelling to be down enough to play a full game.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
It's amazing to me how these teams continually give these 7 to 8 year contracts to B/B+ players
What’s the alternative - lose them for nothing and get beat by teams who have them?

I’ll be the first to admit Timo hasn’t looked like a fit since the trade but I don’t think signing a mid level 1st liner or high level 2nd liner long term is dumb. Pretty standard deal.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
timo isn't the type of player that NJD are drafting for the future. he plays a bigger body game that seems like he wants to slow things down, while almost all the forwards on that team, want to speed things up.

They are both pulling the same door on opposite sides. he probably would have fit pretty comfortably with detroit (i wanted him pretty bad) or a team like boston, etc. detroit and boston both try to slow things down, play more possession type, etc.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
What’s the alternative - lose them for nothing and get beat by teams who have them?

I’ll be the first to admit Timo hasn’t looked like a fit since the trade but I don’t think signing a mid level 1st liner or high level 2nd liner long term is dumb. Pretty standard deal.
How is that the only alternative? What a silly argument.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Meier is a good player but far from a great one. He's not good enough to carry his own line and needs star players to really produce

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
Meier is a good player but far from a great one. He's not good enough to carry his own line and needs star players to really produce
Shark’s fan and hard disagree. He’s an average 1st liner on a lot of teams.

He was one of the few players that could generate his own chances the last few seasons. He is shoot first, joins the rush, and has no problem crashing into a bunch of bodies around the net to make an ugly goal. He plays bigger than his size.

I don’t think he’ll be a point per game for New Jersey simply because there’s already a good 1st line and only so many scoring opportunists but he’ll do great once he figures out his linemates. No one will question this contract when they land a cup during the window that just opened up.

Reactions: Cas

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Timo relies on a high volume of low to medium danger chances in order to score so he can be prone to longer droughts than other 35-40 goal scorers. It's Carolina Hurricanes Syndrome which is why I'm still surprised they weren't the team that traded for him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Timo relies on a high volume of low to medium danger chances in order to score so he can be prone to longer droughts than other 35-40 goal scorers. It's Carolina Hurricanes Syndrome which is why I'm still surprised they weren't the team that traded for him.
The last 3 seasons, that canes are the 3rd highest HD shots for, they are 18th for MDSF and 1st in LDSF. Not quite the picture you are painting.

Add in Meier is a HD shooter as well

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
How is that the only alternative? What a silly argument.
The other alternative is not having anybody other than a superstar if you think signing guys like Timo is a mistake. I’ll never fault a team for signing a legit, top line guy for a fair cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad