Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Jesper Bratt signs with Devils (1 year, $5.45M)

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Because Bratt should not be paid that much more than Hughes. He is a core player but 8-9 per year is a fair price for both him and the team. Fitz needs to extend him now and not let this become a distraction.
hughes is already underpaid to his current level of play. he signed his extension before he really broke out same as hischier. you can't expect every young player to follow in their footsteps and sign value contracts. looking at their career arc was probably the reason for bratt to bet on himself.

as long as hischier and hughes turn into malcontents, which seems not very likely, when they are winning, there is no good reason to not pay bratt. i rather have bratt at 9m for the next 8 years (until age 33), than hamilton for 5 more years (until age 35). and with his current level of play i don't see the hamilton contract as an issue.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't think he'd sign that. That would make him a UFA at 33, and teams are wary of giving players in their 30s big deals. If the Devils really want him for eight years I think the AAV is actually much higher than that. I'd say $11 million. I'd do it without blinking.
i disagree here.

paying a winger that much hasn't been the model for success in the nhl. above 10m you should really explore the trade market.

no, no. i don't mean to trade him, for whatever you can get. but you really look at the market first then. this would be way above the 4 first round picks compensation level contract and i assume the devils would compete against themselves here.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Lmao I love that. I missed that post but that's a great reference. I hope it becomes an HF meme.
we have a poster on the devils board - currently quiet - who was advocating to trade bratt for whatever you can get in the off-season. that's his recipe for success:
bratt leads the devils with 73 points in 76 games -> trade bratt
bratt hands out 5 assists in the first 3 games of the season -> trade bratt

Reactions: PullHard

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i disagree here.

paying a winger that much hasn't been the model for success in the nhl. above 10m you should really explore the trade market.

no, no. i don't mean to trade him, for whatever you can get. but you really look at the market first then. this would be way above the 4 first round picks compensation level contract and i assume the devils would compete against themselves here.

I disagree.

Kucherov (9.5), Ovechkin (9.5), and Rantanen (9.5) are on successful teams, and those contracts were signed years ago. Today they would certainly be above $10 million.

The Devils will lose any Jesper Bratt trade. He’s better than 4 wins at this point, a superstar.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I disagree.

Kucherov (9.5), Ovechkin (9.5), and Rantanen (9.5) are on successful teams, and those contracts were signed years ago. Today they would certainly be above $10 million.

The Devils will lose any Jesper Bratt trade. He’s better than 4 wins at this point, a superstar.
bratt wasn't a superstar last season and the sample size of this season is still small. obviously if bratt finishes the season with 135 points and the devils win 54 games, he is there. but i actually don't think, that he and the devils can sustain this pace against a tougher schedule.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
bratt wasn't a superstar last season and the sample size of this season is still small. obviously if bratt finishes the season with 135 points and the devils win 54 games, he is there. but i actually don't think, that he and the devils can sustain this pace against a tougher schedule.
That’s your perspective and it could be Fitz’s too. In my view Bratt has been elite for years now but has been held back in terms of production by various factors, some of them were him (consistency) some were not (usage, powerplay effectiveness, etc.)

This to me is very different from a player that puts up decent results and then has a ppg season out of nowhere.

I think it would be a grave error for Fitz to underestimate the value of Bratt to this team.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't think Hischier or Hughes would be mad if Bratt got more money then them. Hischier would be happy cause he is best buds with Bratt and Hughes should still have leftover happiness from having his brother drafted to the team.

Having your brother on your team > A little more money.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
hughes is already underpaid to his current level of play. he signed his extension before he really broke out same as hischier. you can't expect every young player to follow in their footsteps and sign value contracts. looking at their career arc was probably the reason for bratt to bet on himself.

as long as hischier and hughes turn into malcontents, which seems not very likely, when they are winning, there is no good reason to not pay bratt. i rather have bratt at 9m for the next 8 years (until age 33), than hamilton for 5 more years (until age 35). and with his current level of play i don't see the hamilton contract as an issue.

I am fine with 9 but not 10. He shouldn't be paid 2 million more a season than Hughes. And Bratt with his difficult agent need to understand that.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California

Bratt is a core player. A guy you never trade. Always constant and productive. He is slightly below Hughes in terms of overall importance in the Devils offense. He has proven himself against big opponents. And amazingly enough, he stays healthy considering his size.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
This deal is really going to backfire on the Devils! Cant wait to see his juicy contract next year :nod:

I don't know how it backfires unless Bratt ends up sucking on his new deal or the Devils simply can't get it done.

Paying a guy a contract he's worth isn't really "backfiring".

The Devils made an offer, he wanted to bet on himself and it's probably going to pay off. That's fine. Some guys won't bet on themselves in that matter, some will.

Should have locked him instead of playing hardball for a second time.

These negociations leave scars.

That's probably the most concerning thing. 2 toxic contract negotiations simply isn't great. If you're the devils, get it done. If he doesn't want anything more than 5 years at 9 million, just do it. Get him under contract and put it to bed for half a decade. Not like it's the worst thing ever.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if his agent pushes the Zach Parise tactic.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't know how it backfires unless Bratt ends up sucking on his new deal or the Devils simply can't get it done.

Paying a guy a contract he's worth isn't really "backfiring".

The Devils made an offer, he wanted to bet on himself and it's probably going to pay off. That's fine. Some guys won't bet on themselves in that matter, some will.
Rather have that problem than have no issues bridging JAGs like Lafreniere and Kakko. If you have to pay a guy, it’s because he’s good.

Bratt knew what he was worth and his agent recognized the cap would only be increasing. Ultimately that means Bratt will get more money and New Jersey will simultaneously have fewer issues finding the room.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I disagree.

Okay, so list the teams with players making over $10.0 (cap hit) that have won a Stanley cup

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, if only Bratt could play like Kakko or Lafreniere then the Devils could sign him to a $2M contract.

Smart idea Crypto Boy.
Fortunately for him he doesn’t have much competition, thankfully for us! Cant wait to sign laf and kakko long term before they can break out :)

Will be interesting to see Bratt on a new team next season.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I don't think Hischier or Hughes would be mad if Bratt got more money then them. Hischier would be happy cause he is best buds with Bratt and Hughes should still have leftover happiness from having his brother drafted to the team.

Some of us would require a bigged paycheck for the joy to hang out every day with our siblings :laugh:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

They shouldn't be mad, as a Bratt extension would include only 1 RFA year versus the 4 RFA years that Jack and Nico both got on their extensions.

Fortunately for him he doesn’t have much competition, thankfully for us! Cant wait to sign laf and kakko long term before they can break out :)

Will be interesting to see Bratt on a new team next season.

LOL...I'm sure those breakouts will happen any day now.

Reactions: Bankers Box

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad