Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] F Jesper Bratt signs with Devils (1 year, $5.45M)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think it’s smart. Like others said he is still RFA next summer this way.

Other things to consider:
1. I don’t think he can keep up this production. So they may be able to sign him long-term to a more reasonable deal next summer

2. They still need to resign Wood and NJ doesn’t have a lot of cap left now.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Great money for an impact player. As a Devils fan I really wish they could have gotten a long term deal done. Watching Bratt develop and continue to improve year on year has been a treat, He’s a core piece

He will be RFA after this year, but this is a player worth betting on. Hopefully they can agree to something long term soon

If you haven’t been able to catch Bratt play this past year, it may finally be time to check out these Devils

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If Bratt was asking for a 7 mil long-term deal based on last season (which wouldn't be unfair) I can see how this makes sense. Devils are only going to lose much if he gets close to 100-point territory next year.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
That's rotten for Bratt. Smfh. Can't wait for him to get paid what he's worth on a different team. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Pengu

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Let's see if last year was a fluke or if he is the real deal. Decent deal.

This is exactly it. He far exceeded expectations last year. This gives him a year to prove it wasn’t a fluke and keeps the club from locking him down in a bad contract if it was a fluke. I think he’ll end up with a nice contract if he’s anywhere close to last year.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I think it’s smart. Like others said he is still RFA next summer this way.

Other things to consider:
1. I don’t think he can keep up this production. So they may be able to sign him long-term to a more reasonable deal next summer

2. They still need to resign Wood and NJ doesn’t have a lot of cap left now.

They have 4,125m from Bernier to put on LTIR, he's done.

Reactions: HBK27

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He's worth atleast 7 if not 8
He is going to get it next year if he is. This isn't a big deal. Not compared to Labanc getting a 1,5 mil bridge or Norris-winning Subban 2,75. Let's not act like this is some kind of robbery here.

Reactions: hn777

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He's worth atleast 7 if not 8

On a long-term deal, yeah.

For a one-year deal for an RFA year and still being two years away from UFA, no.

Kevin Fiala is a good comparable and a year ago he settled on a one year, $5.1M contract (similar situation being two years away from being UFA).

Reactions: hn777

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems good.

If he replicates the success he had last season well then that's a good problem to have isn't it? Not sure why he would be taking a discount when he looks at what Hughes, Hamilton, and Hischier got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad