Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Well, at least EDM is trying to fix what is wrong. The price is insane, though.

Blows my mind.

This is my thought. To all the "Larsson is getting underrated" folks...Nobody is saying that Larsson is bad. He's actually very good and it IS good to see Edmonton finally realize that defensemen actually play hockey and is a need. But to give up Hall, one-for-one??? Ouch.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
At least we can put an end to all the crap about Eberle having value. This trade show he has none...

exactly.. if this is what Hall can only get, what can RNH get or Eberle get or any of them... nothing much at all I assume

absolutely terrible

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
This is so bad...

not for the Oilers, who may now end up with Lucic and Puljujarvi in the lineup instead to replace Hall plus we may be signing RD Jason Demers as well. Larsson has an offensive upside that hasn't been seen yet that the Oilers could be able to get out of him. Oilers needed to make a trade like this.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Lmao at everyone overrating Hall.

Larsson is a top pairing d man about to enter his prime. Hall is a 1 dimensional winger big whoop he is a dime a dozen especially on Edmontons roster.

What does Hall do that mcdavid, draistl, RNH, eberle or even yakupov can't?

McDavid is in a class of his own. What Hall does (would've done) is bury his feeds for the next 5 years.

Draisaitl is a Center not a pure left wing.

RNH is not a pure left wing.

Please don't tell me Eberle is on Hall's level.

Yakupov has done jack squat in the NHL.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Didn't read any of the thread but Larsson has been up and down, this is not great for Edmonton.

If this is straight up its really not great. It's ok at best at face value.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
I am just flabbergasted, this has to be one of the most controversial trades of all time.

What is EDM thinking LOLOLOLOLOL, EDM fans, what are you saying? How are you feeling, if you need a shoulder to lean on, I'll be there

Trizz

May 9, 2012
I understand the trade for a D, but valuewise that's bad for Edmonton. No chance to deny that

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
2010 NHL Draft Top 6:

1. Taylor Hall, EDM: Traded to NJ 6/29/16
2. Tyler Seguin, BOS: Traded to DAL 7/4/13
3. Erik Gudbranson, FLA: Traded to VAN 5/25/16
4. Ryan Johansen, CBJ: Traded to NSH 1/6/16
5. Nino Niederreiter, NYI: Traded to MIN 6/30/13
6. Brett Connolly, TB: Traded to BOS 3/2/15

Crazy.

Wow. Doubt that's ever happened before.
I don't think it's that bad for Edmonton. They did address a need and did so via an area of strength. If they can replace some of Hall's offense through free agency it looks better.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
A surprisingly good hockey trade with both teams filling needs AND taking on risk.

The Devils and their awful offense badly needed a player like Hall. However, they are taking on the risk that he's an injury prone player who finally put together a complete season last year (yet didn't hit the PPG mark).

The Oilers and their awful defense badly needed a player like Larsson. However, they are taking on the risk that he simply doesn't develop further and is what he is.

I like this trade a LOT for both teams. Anyone saying this is a steal or one team got hosed is kidding themselves.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
strange trade but opens up and extra $3 mil or so to sign Lucic. if so then we traded more offense for some needed top RD and i don't believe we've seen the best from Larsson yet. so it could be Lucic + Larsson for Hall.

I don't wanna sound like a prune; but Hall shouldn't be a player you talk about "opening up money" when you're trading. He is a premiere winger in the league, and this trade was outright atrocious for Edmonton. This is a reaction trade and I don't like it. It may be the specific type of Dman and a decent one, but he isn't in the same realm as Hall - not in the least.

Your team will be fine; but deals like this are taking away a lot of trade chips, by getting 50cents on the dollar.

At the end of the day; good on NJ for stepping to the plate and taking advantage of a GM teetering on the edge. That is no way saying Larsson is a bad Dman, or trade bait. He wasn't, but you don't pass on Hall - if Larsson is wanted.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He most lopsided deal of the past decade? One of the leagues best wingers for a competent D man....

Hall is the real winner here though, he'll actually have a chance at seeing the playoffs before he turns 30!

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Can't wait to see what Nuge, Yakupov and Eberle are really worth. The truth is that the Oilers core are seen league wide as losers and can only be traded for pennies on the dollar.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Oilers' most valuable trade piece is gone and the need for a top pairing defencemen hasn't been addressed. Neither has the need for a PP QB. Awful.

HFranky

Jan 8, 2009
Any fans saying oilers got a decent return for a team Canada caliber winger is out of his ****** mind.

Larson is a good NHL defenseman, but he hasn't come close to be a top 2 caliber D. You can't be satisfied trading a 65-70 pts players vs a defenseman who was fail to reach his potential.

The Edmonton's defense is better with Larson...indeed, but what a horrible, horrible trade.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Steal for EDM actually. Larsson is a stud #2D, and he'll hit 40+ points with the Oilers. Expect him manning the PP too.

I'd agree with you. I didn't realize how good Larrson's advanced stats were last year, especially when you consider how low of an offensive zone start he had. He was starting in the offensive zone just 30.5% of the time, the lowest in the NHL last season. He finished in their 42.5% of the time. When he wasn't on the ice NJ they were far worse at not allowing goals (difference of 0.82 GA/60), as well as scoring them (though only .02 difference/60).

It might be an overpayment by Edmonton right now but once Larsson gets to play on the PP, have average offensive/defensive zone starts, and he will put up 35-45 points.

And even if Larsson doesn't grow an offensive game he's still going to be able to bring a Suter like level of defence which easily makes him a #2 dman and imo worthy of trade for Hall. Let's not forget the wingers are by far the least important part of a team and even a #2D is worth a #1W.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Edmonton, what are you thinking??! Y'all just got robbed in broad daylight!

The Spitfire fan in me is jumping for joy that we'll get to see Hall and Henrique on the same team and line again :)

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
well its quite obvious teams knew how bad Oilers need dmen and made them pay HUGE... so I guess Chia still needs to acquire a puck moving PP type dman... I wonder what that is gonna cost him now geeze

This is how I see it. Shero was knew the Oilers were desperate for a competent dman, and he ended up with a grand fleece-job on his hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad