Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils re-sign Kyle Palmieri (5 years, $4.65M AAV)

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I am not meaning to derail the thread, but do you figure the Devils would have an interest in Kevin Shattenkirk. For some reason I got it in my head that a Shattenkirk + Sobotka(if he is every coming back) or perhaps Schwartz deal for Palmieri + could be interesting for both teams.

It'd be prospect(s) + pick for Shatty. Devils can't really afford to keep unplugging one hole to fill another. Not great trading partners, really.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Palmieri is going nowhere - a team starved for goal scoring isn't going to trade their top goal scorer unless it is a massive overpayment in return.

But Devils are definitely interested in Shattenkirk. Palmieri and Shattenkirk are good buddies, so if the price isn't right for Shero via trade, I'd assume he'd just hope Palmieri could do some convincing to his friend and maybe Shattenkirk would sign in NJ as a UFA.

Shattenkirk has made it clear he wants to sign somewhere in the Northeast.

So options for him include BOS, NYR, NYI, NJD, PHI. And of those teams, PHI and NJD seem to be on the rise, while BOS seems to just be floating around, and NYR and NYI are on a steep decline.
NJD and PHI would make the most sense for Shattenkirk, and NJD more so because of their tremendous cap situation. Both NJD and PHI could really use Shattenkirk as their top RHD. Who knows though.

I think you missed the part where I was pairing Shattenkirk and Schwartz in the offer. To clear any misconception, Schwartz is a much better offensive force than Palmieri. I just really like Palmieri's style and of course, his cap hit.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think you missed the part where I was pairing Shattenkirk and Schwartz in the offer. To clear any misconception, Schwartz is a much better offensive force than Palmieri. I just really like Palmieri's style and of course, his cap hit.

Shattenkirk won't be coming to New Jersey in a trade when he is a free agent in a year. We simply aren't going to trade assets for a player for 1 year. Shero is very clear on that.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

The only way the Devils go in on Shattenkirk before he hits UFA is for a pick and a prospect (not named Zacha or McLeod) at the deadline, or obtain his rights for a mid-round pick pre-UFA 2017. Either of these scenarios are perfectly fine with me, but the pick/prospect largely depends on how our season is going at that time + his openness to a serious extension in NJ. Its not going to happen for a locked up roster player with Shattenkirk a year from UFA. It'd be one thing if he was already extended, but even then Id hesitate offering Palmieri who's proving to be a helluva player + he's a Jersey kid. It doesnt make sense for us moving any of our major components for a guy who can potentially walk in a year (espc at forward), as tantalizing as Shattenkirk is. The Larsson trade was an anomaly as Shero even said the only way he'd move Larsson is for Hall or McDavid.

We'll have a good chance to acquire Shattenkirk unless St. Louis finds a taker, but no one is paying a heavy price without an extension. IMO he's this year's Yandle. He's going to be rumored to be on the move all year on a team that's still hoping to contend in the immediate and no one is going to be willing pay the price demanded when hes so close to UFA. The one thing the Devils can afford is to wait for the trade price to go down and can give him the new contract he wants. Now is definitely the time to move him if you can find the right return, but finding a buyer is tough with pieces falling into place and the fact Shattenkirk controls where he wants to go after this season. I dont think he goes anywhere til after the season, since you guys will likely still be in the thick of things this year and he'll be needed. Its a really tough decision for your team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad