Proposal: NJ-Tampa

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
To NJ-Ryan Callahan
1st round pick

To Tampa-Boston 2nd rounder

Although Tampa is losing the salaries of coburn and Stralman they are still going to have to sign some defense. This sheds 5.8 million in salary for next year. They give up their first but get a second back. Essentially dropping around 30 spots.
NJ has the cap room to take on the salary and already have two extra picks in the second round so giving one up is no big deal. Callahan is a good leader and a mentor for all the youth that NJ has.
Thoughts? Tweaks?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So the Devils take on Callahan to move up maybe 30 spots (likely not even that many)? No thanks.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
A lot of Ranger fans gushing over a similar deal where they give us back our second in exchange for Callahan and a 1st. I guess I would do it, but whatever

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of Ranger fans gushing over a similar deal where they give us back our second in exchange for Callahan and a 1st. I guess I would do it, but whatever

“Gushing” is not exactly the word I would use. A few of us like myself love the idea of him returning but getting past the Nostalgic part of it, it actually makes sense and would help us on and off the ice. It’s also what Gorton is looking for with a vet to influence our young guys. He would also be comfortable coming back to the Rangers organization.

If people think it should take a 1st or 2nd round straight up just to move him, I don’t know what to tell you.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Idk why devils fans are complaining about this. We have tons of cap space and the contract only has one year left. It would be good asset management to do this trade. I like it, idk how Tampa feels but they seem to be under cap pressure so maybe they do this

Reactions: MakoSlade

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Still think Tampa holds onto Callahan now that he has an expiring contract. He might have more value to TB since his style compliments the high end skill they have.

Also Cernak and serge are stepping into the top four. They’re not going to struggle to find bottom 6 D if they can’t resign one of the UFAs

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Still think Tampa holds onto Callahan now that he has an expiring contract. He might have more value to TB since his style compliments the high end skill they have.

Also Cernak and serge are stepping into the top four. They’re not going to struggle to find bottom 6 D if they can’t resign one of the UFAs

Callahan is the least of their issues. Willing to bet they shutdown better in Game 1 with him in the line up. He shuts down very well in the playoffs. But doesn’t matter anymore, Cooper chose to scratch him and that means he needs to move on now.

Cally could always just get bought out by Tampa and re-sign to a number of teams on a cheap deal like around 2 to 2.5 million.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I tend to agree with this. Callahan’s contract is much less catastrophic now that it’s expiring.

I’d expect them to move Johnson and/or Miller and gain assets, rather than spend them to move Callahan.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
To NJ-Ryan Callahan
1st round pick

To Tampa-Boston 2nd rounder

Although Tampa is losing the salaries of coburn and Stralman they are still going to have to sign some defense. This sheds 5.8 million in salary for next year. They give up their first but get a second back. Essentially dropping around 30 spots.
NJ has the cap room to take on the salary and already have two extra picks in the second round so giving one up is no big deal. Callahan is a good leader and a mentor for all the youth that NJ has.
Thoughts? Tweaks?

I like this. It would be the 24th OA for the Devils. Becomes a more valuable trade asset just to take Callahan’s contract. However I think Tampa would just buy him out and take the 1.933 cap hit for two years.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I like this. It would be the 24th OA for the Devils. Becomes a more valuable trade asset just to take Callahan’s contract. However I think Tampa would just buy him out and take the 1.933 cap hit for two years.
I agree the buyout can make sense but it gets to the point where a million or two can make a difference and that extra player they have to replace is probably $1million and ends up being a $3 million player.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Id totally do that from a NJD perspective. There are some good prospect projected to go around 24th.

Getting Callahan is not exactly a bad thing. Far from it. He is just overpaid, but still very effective, and would improve most team’s bottom 6 and PK in the league, especially the Devils. He was scratched by Cooper and made the 13th forward, and the reasoning behind it was a depth thing and Cooper wanted to go with the younger and more inexperienced to give them a chance, he was not even playing badly, far from it.

I think if he is bought out could just sign a team friendly deal with a contender or a number of teams looking to improve their PK and bottom 6, and add leadership on and off the ice.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
New jersey is at a stage where they need to add salary to the cap, so it makes sense

Callahan is a decent player, not worth what hes getting but good and can help them win next year

What they could do at the deadline next year is retain half of his deal and then flip him for more draft picks and assets which ray shero is pretty fond of

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
NJ can probably throw in to this deal a cheap bottom pairing defenseman like Mueller or Santini, to help TB fill out their D next season.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'd do it. It's a first rounder for one year of Callahan's deal. Take that mid 20s first and draft a player or use that first and one of the seconds to move up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If NJ doesn't do this someone else will - NYR for exmaple is hording a ton of picks and prospects with lots of capspace for a year left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad