Proposal: NJ-Tampa

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
So the Devils take on Callahan to move up maybe 30 spots (likely not even that many)? No thanks.
...why would you not consider doing this.

It's a free asset. The Devils can just buyout Callahan and eat the cap hit for the next couple years. They have oodles of cap space that they're probably not going to dip into for a while.

Done deal from me. Where do I sign?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only issue is I don't believe NJ is on his trade list. I know for a fact the Rangers are on his list, even said he would be comfortable returning to the Rangers, and they even inquired last summer about taking on his contract. With only one year left, I expect them to make another inquiry, since Gorton is looking for a Vet forward who can bring leadership on and off the ice.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Tampa 2019 1st + Callahan

for

Vancouver's 2019 2nd
That's what - like 8-10 spots probably?

That seems about right on value. Callahan isn't an albatross. Overpaid - absolutely, but on a one-year deal he's still a valuable member of a team. I think a team like Buffalo, Vancouver, or the Devils could use a guy like that to help with the young guys.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

That seems about right on value. Callahan isn't an albatross. Overpaid - absolutely, but on a one-year deal he's still a valuable member of a team. I think a team like Buffalo, Vancouver, or the Devils could use a guy like that to help with the young guys.
Pretty sure Vancouver would be on his no trade list. His mntc calls for half the league he can be traded to. Doubt the Canucks make the list.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

An 8-10 spot drop from a late 1st to an early 2nd seems awfully cheap to get rid of that contract. No way Tampa gets off that easily.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
An 8-10 spot drop from a late 1st to an early 2nd seems awfully cheap to get rid of that contract. No way Tampa gets off that easily.
Being realistic in that TB ideally wants no contract coming back or having to do any retention there are only a handful of teams Callahan can end up given his mntc of half the league.

Good teams can’t afford the $5.8 million cap without some cap relief which TB doesn’t want to do.

So you’re eyeing teams with cap space who he would ok a deal to. I don’t expect any Canadian team to make his trade to list.

Then comes which teams view his acquisition as a benefit.

SJ, LV, Nash, STL I don’t think have the luxury to add him to their cap situation. Dallas could with Spezza and Methot coming off the books. He might be a solid fit in Colorado. Arizona can add him but would need to offload the Hossa contract which is easy enough to say Ottawa. LA and Ana don’t see a need for him there given their respective rosters. Chicago, should have cap room for 1 season until DCat and Strome get new deals the following year. A question of whether he fits with what Chicago wants to do. Minnesota, doing a retool so not needed when they have Staal and Koivu at C. Need to break in someone younger as both guys don’t have much term left on their deals.

Then you have the eastern teams like NJ, NYR, Det, Buf would could add him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Then you have the eastern teams like NJ, NYR, Det, Buf would could add him.

Sure, they could add him - but to move up 8-10 picks at that range, it's not worth the $4.7M in actual salary the acquiring team would have to pay him (or even the $3.13M to buyout the contract) or the roster spot he would take up that could go to a younger player that actually has a future with the organization. Callahan was already a healthy scratch this regular season and playoffs - I don't think he'd return much at the trade deadline, even with half the salary retained.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People need to understand that it's 1 year. If you have the cap, and don't expect to fill trade deadline acquiring a high priced expiring contract, there's no reason not to do it.

Reactions: zcaptain

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think they have to trade down that much to move him. I think there are teams out there that would make a deal where they move up 10-15ish spots for example.

Reactions: zcaptain

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@HBK27 You are really undervaluing and underrating Ryan Callahan to what he can still bring on and off the ice. He is a class act , leader type guy, who has had the shit piled high against him, and none of it was his fault. The best one yet, he bottled emotions, was a professional about it, and did not let his positive attitude change in the locker room after being pushed out of the line up by Cooper and wasn't even because he was playing bad, far from it. That is the kind of damn influence I want for my young players. Not the ones that demand trades or pout when things don't go their way. Plus, the fact that he can still be effective on the ice, in a bottom 6 role and the PK and help win games, is a bonus.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Callahan is overpaid, but in the last year of his deal and can still be a player in limited minutes. Tampa isn't going to give up a first to get rid of him for one year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
People need to understand that it's 1 year. If you have the cap, and don't expect to fill trade deadline acquiring a high priced expiring contract, there's no reason not to do it.
Even then - trade deadline you tend to have "extra" cap since it's accrued per day (so if you go into the season w/ 2.5 in cap, that's 7.5 at the deadline).

Also - to the extent it matters, his cash left on his contract is 1.1 less than his caphit, so that can be a *bit* of a bonus for budget teams.

Basically - we can buy him out if we need to we can buy it out and only carry 2.6 this season and 1.5 next season, so it isn't worth giving up a huge piece (and 30 places in the draft is pretty huge). Like - third round pick or trading down to a high 2nd from our 1st is the most it's worth.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
@HBK27 You are really undervaluing and underrating Ryan Callahan to what he can still bring on and off the ice. He is a class act , leader type guy, who has had the **** piled high against him, and none of it was his fault. The best one yet, he bottled emotions, was a professional about it, and did not let his positive attitude change in the locker room after being pushed out of the line up by Cooper and wasn't even because he was playing bad, far from it. That is the kind of damn influence I want for my young players. Not the ones that demand trades or pout when things don't go their way. Plus, the fact that he can still be effective on the ice, in a bottom 6 role and the PK and help win games, is a bonus.

Maybe I am, as I don't follow Tampa closely at all. I'm sure he's a great character guy and probably still has something to offer - but the fact is he was relegated to being the 13th forward despite having the 3rd highest cap hit on the entire team and he hasn't produced more than 18 points in any of the past 3 seasons.

It's also easy to find bottom 6 veteran players near the end of their careers that are a positive influence on younger players for a fraction of the price - Devils had one last year in Drew Stafford who cost less than 1/7th of Callahan's cap hit and had similar production. I'm sure there are probably teams out there that could find a spot for Callahan in their lineup, but with his contract he has a negative value and moving up a handful of spots in the draft (when the player you wanted may be at your original spot anyway) and shelling out $4.7M in real money to do so is not worth it. Hell, the Devils got a 2nd round pick a few years back just to take on Marc Savard's cap hit and didn't have to pay him a dime. Callahan's contract is worse IMO, so I just don't see Tampa getting off so easy.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Even then - trade deadline you tend to have "extra" cap since it's accrued per day (so if you go into the season w/ 2.5 in cap, that's 7.5 at the deadline).

Also - to the extent it matters, his cash left on his contract is 1.1 less than his caphit, so that can be a *bit* of a bonus for budget teams.

Basically - we can buy him out if we need to we can buy it out and only carry 2.6 this season and 1.5 next season, so it isn't worth giving up a huge piece (and 30 places in the draft is pretty huge). Like - third round pick or trading down to a high 2nd from our 1st is the most it's worth.

I know how it works, but a team might not be interested if the cap space with Callahan puts them close to the cap and they're looking to be big deadline buyers. I can't see a team with cap space not taking this offer.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Every year, it's mentioned that "budget" teams would like contracts like this to help them reach the cap floor since the cap hit is higher than the actual salary, but those types of trades never material and the "budget" teams have no problem hitting the cap floor on their own. Tampa had a $78M cap hit this season - the cap is expected to rise to $83M next year, though Kucherov's new contract eats away at that difference, while Point's new contract will put them over by several million. They can certainly make up some of the difference on defense, where they have 4 UFA's totaling $13.45M, but those spots also need to be replaced. Tampa is also in a win-now mode, especially before Vasilevsky's new contract kicks in, and already so close against the cap that you would think they would want to avoid the dead cap space that comes over the next two years with a buyout, but that's certainly an option for them as well.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City

Bluntly, as a Rangers fan, I'd take that and run. My bigger issue is immediacy; I don't want to make this deal if it means not getting Panarin or a player in that vein.

I'm not sure the Devils are even remotely in that position, and imo, aside from having to vomit every time I see Callahan in a Devils jersey, this is a complete no-brainer yes from the Devils.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Every year, it's mentioned that "budget" teams would like contracts like this to help them reach the cap floor since the cap hit is higher than the actual salary, but those types of trades never material and the "budget" teams have no problem hitting the cap floor on their own. Tampa had a $78M cap hit this season - the cap is expected to rise to $83M next year, though Kucherov's new contract eats away at that difference, while Point's new contract will put them over by several million. They can certainly make up some of the difference on defense, where they have 4 UFA's totaling $13.45M, but those spots also need to be replaced. Tampa is also in a win-now mode, especially before Vasilevsky's new contract kicks in, and already so close against the cap that you would think they would want to avoid the dead cap space that comes over the next two years with a buyout, but that's certainly an option for them as well.
I don't think it's a "get to the floor" deal, because outside of Ottawa I don't think any team is going to have trouble getting there. Just that the cash value is cheaper than the contract itself.

We have positive value contracts we can move if we need to depending on how Point's contract goes. Callahan can either be moved (with mild retention - no more than 1.5 m I'd imagine) or bought out. Trade is preferable, but if the cost is too high, just carry the 2.1 this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, they could add him - but to move up 8-10 picks at that range, it's not worth the $4.7M in actual salary the acquiring team would have to pay him (or even the $3.13M to buyout the contract) or the roster spot he would take up that could go to a younger player that actually has a future with the organization. Callahan was already a healthy scratch this regular season and playoffs - I don't think he'd return much at the trade deadline, even with half the salary retained.
Any deal has to benefit the other team. So depends what the nhl assessment is of Callahan. He’s too high a cap hit for a good team to take on. If you’re spending $4.7 mill cash on him are you getting value for that amount? As for the non playoff teams who may not realistically make it next season do they view Callahan as someone who is good in the room to help the younger players? Then factor in if the cost makes sense for them.

Cap floor teams can always go call Detroit to pick up their ltir guys to hit the floor. So doubt those teams ask for Callahan.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012

We would do it in a heart beat...….
Canucks are rebuilding and 1 year is nothing in terms of taking on cap for a pick upgrade
especially if we could up grade the up grade......
Just saying...…..
Hey, my idea...……...take it now, PLZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad