Proposal: NJ/Ottawa Blockbuster

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I’m eagerly waiting for the surprise ottawa thread NOT involving Karlsson or Stone. Someone needs to make this (regardless of value) just to throw off HF

Here, take my like. This is 1/2 payment for you to start the thread up. I'll pay you the other half in thread mentioned. :)

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
EK + Stone both signed

for

Severson + Smith + Zacha + Woods + 1st + 1st

Might as well maximize ridiculousness who gives a crap on value. OTT gets rebuild stuff NJ gets contend stuff. Win-win.

I'll say this clearly. Woods doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him, especially in a trade for a superstar. Zacha, also has limited value because he is no where near living up to the expectations of his draft status. He's still young enough to have decent middle 6 upside, but its not a guarantee at this point.

So the actual pieces of interest would be Smith + both 1st (which would be low so meh) and I guess Severson but it's still not enough to tip the scale..

Oh good lord I just realized you included Stone.... politely, F*CK No.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Karlsson resigned at 8 X 11 + Dzingel resigned at 4 X 3.9 for Severson + Quenneville + M. Mcleod + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd +2021 2nd + 2022 1st
He is not a devils fan. Please don’t shit on all of us for this, of course we would do it. Ottawa would be insane

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Karlsson resigned at 8 X 11 + Dzingel resigned at 4 X 3.9 for Severson + Quenneville + M. Mcleod + 2019 1st + 2020 2nd +2021 2nd + 2022 1st

So f***ing terrible.

EK + Stone both signed

for

Severson + Smith + Zacha + Woods + 1st + 1st

Might as well maximize ridiculousness who gives a crap on value. OTT gets rebuild stuff NJ gets contend stuff. Win-win.

Oh you want Stone too sure how about Chabot and Duchene as well. Yeah huge win for Ottawa... Hole bunch of garbage for a superstar and a top 5 rw in their primes.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
i was expected to be blown away by the proposal, not even blockbuster in the slightest.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I’m eagerly waiting for the surprise ottawa thread NOT involving Karlsson or Stone. Someone needs to make this (regardless of value) just to throw off HF
What else is there to trade?

lol

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
of course new Jersey would do it. I absolutely hate these sign and trade proposals that populate this forum, when has one ever happened. This isnt the NBA, it just doesn't happen in the NHL

Reactions: HBK27

uncleblazer

Jan 12, 2018
Oh you want Stone too sure how about Chabot and Duchene as well. Yeah huge win for Ottawa... Hole bunch of garbage for a superstar and a top 5 rw in their primes.
How hard were you trying to be upset at this that you missed the last sentence? Clear sarcasm but don't worry at least 3 others took it serious as well even though I was mocking the OP lightly. Not even a NJ fan. In what tone did you read "Might as well maximize ridiculousness who gives a crap on value" that you went well that confirms it he's definitely not just taking a piss.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'll say this clearly. Woods doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him, especially in a trade for a superstar. Zacha, also has limited value because he is no where near living up to the expectations of his draft status. He's still young enough to have decent middle 6 upside, but its not a guarantee at this point.

So the actual pieces of interest would be Smith + both 1st (which would be low so meh) and I guess Severson but it's still not enough to tip the scale..

Oh good lord I just realized you included Stone.... politely, F*CK No.

I don’t really care to deal for Karllson and to say Wood has no value is a ignorant reply. With one year remaining on the contract of these players you will be greatly disappointed in their return as the season gets going.

Reactions: HBK27

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
People don't realize that Shero won't be making any trades unless he's taking the other GM to the cleaners. I doubt we trade with Ottawa, but if we do we'll be ripping them off badly.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I don’t really care to deal for Karllson and to say Wood has no value is a ignorant reply. With one year remaining on the contract of these players you will be greatly disappointed in their return as the season gets going.

What didn't you comprehend by "doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him" aka he has more value to NJD than any other team and should not be considered a main piece by any stretch. Getting Wood back in a trade for Karlsson is fine if he's the 4/5th piece involved, so by all means keep him.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
None of our guys will be moved now,if by the TDL we havent got them signed then maybe.....

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
In what world does Karlsson do the Sens a solid and sign an extension, thereby costing his new team (which he's now committed to for the next 9 seasons) a significant package of prospects/picks to acquire him, which in turn makes it much more difficult for Karlsson to finally win a Cup?

He's not resigning with the Sens. At all. They're not going to lose him for nothing, so he will be dealt this season and more than likely to a contender. He can then choose whatever team he wants to commit to long-term next summer and not gut the team of its young core in the process.

It's silly to even entertain any type of sign and trade offers for him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What didn't you comprehend by "doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him" aka he has more value to NJD than any other team and should not be considered a main piece by any stretch. Getting Wood back in a trade for Karlsson is fine if he's the 4/5th piece involved, so by all means keep him.

You very clearly stated "doesn't have much value" - how does that translate into NJ values him more than any other team? What the hell does that even mean?

You also blow off both Wood and Zacha with "So the actual pieces of interest would be..." and act like they have zero value which is an ignorant reply. You act like you're talking about 5th round draft picks.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
You very clearly stated "doesn't have much value" - how does that translate into NJ values him more than any other team? What the hell does that even mean?

You also blow off both Wood and Zacha with "So the actual pieces of interest would be..." and act like they have zero value which is an ignorant reply. You act like you're talking about 5th round draft picks.

Jesus... I said "doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him" and you then came back with "saying he has no value at all is ignorant".. you're comprehension needs some work. He's more valuable to New Jersey than other teams.

Zacha imo isn't even top 6 material and while still young enough to improve, is no where near the blue chip piece you hope to acquire when talking about Karlsson.

Woods is a 4th round pick (so not far off from a 5th) with decent size and speed but again is no where near a blue chip/top 6 piece you'd want FOR THE BEST DMAN IN THE F******G LEAGUE. He's a bottom 6 player for the time being.

So yeah, I'm brushing off Zacha and Woods because they are just decent pieces but not something I'd ever want or ask for when trading a superstar dman. How do you not understand that?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Jesus... I said "doesn't have much value for other teams acquiring him" and you then came back with "saying he has no value at all is ignorant".. you're comprehension needs some work. He's more valuable to New Jersey than other teams.

Zacha imo isn't even top 6 material and while still young enough to improve, is no where near the blue chip piece you hope to acquire when talking about Karlsson.

Woods is a 4th round pick (so not far off from a 5th) with decent size and speed but again is no where near a blue chip/top 6 piece you'd want FOR THE BEST DMAN IN THE F******G LEAGUE. He's a bottom 6 player for the time being.

So yeah, I'm brushing off Zacha and Woods because they are just decent pieces but not something I'd ever want or ask for when trading a superstar dman. How do you not understand that?

So, why exactly is Wood "more valuable to New Jersey than other teams"? What makes the Devils so special that they value him much more than all of the other 30 teams in the league? You still haven't answered that one, so let's hear it.

I'm also not arguing that Zacha is top 6 material or anywhere close to being the blue chip piece Devils fans hoped for when he was taken 6th overall. He likely won't live up to what Devils fans expected and he's yet to prove he's a top 6 player every night. But like you said, he's still young enough to improve so there is some value there as he just turned 21 in April.

Wood is still only 22 and put up 19 goals last season playing 4th line minutes with little PP time while also significantly improving his all around game in the process. What round a player was picked in is largely irrelevant as they put more seasons in, but yeah the fact that he's a 4th round pick (OH SORRY, LATE 4TH ROUND PICK!) and he still played nearly two full seasons at the NHL level before his 23rd birthday is rather impressive.

These guys aren't going to be the centerpiece of a deal, but you don't just discard the value they bring as you did.

As far as acquiring Karlsson, the Devils shouldn't have any interest. Zero chance he does a sign-and-trade - that's just a pipe dream for Ottawa fans that are refusing to accept the reality of the situation (you're not going to like the return when he's dealt) and have this fantasy of him signing a long-term deal prior to being traded to massively increase the return. Not. Gonna. Happen.

The window hasn't opened yet on the Devils being a Stanley Cup contender. Maybe they can build on last season's success with another trip to the playoffs, but I don't think they're serious contenders just yet. At least not this year. They only recently just replenished the farm system, so giving up what it would take to acquire a soon-to-be-UFA Karlsson (while expensive, but still below what Ottawa fans want) knowing he's likely to test the free agent waters just isn't worth the price the Devils would have to give up. And honestly, there's a lot of smoke around Karlsson going to Dallas or Tampa, so the Devils are probably not near the top of his list. Would be a huge risk acquiring him. They're better off just backing up the Brinks truck next offseason to see if they can sign him as a UFA (long-shot, I know) since they'd have the cap space to do it and by retaining picks and players like Ty Smith, would be a team on the rise with good young talent on the way.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
People don't realize that Shero won't be making any trades unless he's taking the other GM to the cleaners. I doubt we trade with Ottawa, but if we do we'll be ripping them off badly.
You're so right. You really took the Rangers to the cleaners when you acquired Grabner.

So depressing that fans think every trade is a colossal win, just because he won two very high profile trades. (Hall and Johansson.) Well shit! If he got Hall for Larsson, the only trades he does is when he rips people off!

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

So I guess upping the offer with Ben Lovejoy is out of the question?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So what about that throw in of 6th round pick in Stone? Must be a cap dump. :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad