Proposal: NJ needs a #2-3 LHD

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
no interest in Severson for Gardiner whatsoever. improves the LD but leaves a new massive hole on RD.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
no interest in Severson for Gardiner whatsoever. improves the LD but leaves a new massive hole on RD.

We're note getting a top pairing dman by moving bottom #6 forwards or Santini.

I'd deal Severson in a heartbeat if we can get someone that will bump Greene down a pairing. He's not going to surpass Vatanen on our top pair and Santini needs a spot. We also have Mueller and Butcher who can play the right side.

Moving Severson isn't going to cripple our blueline at all and that's something that the majority of our board doesn't want to see for whatever reason.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'd take Gardiner in a heart beat. Don't listen to the other Devils fans that have no interest in him.

That being said, I wouldn't move Severson in a deal for him. Makes no sense with their long term contract situations

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
New Jersey needs a #2-3 left-handed defenseman

De Haan wasn't quite a #2-3 but was available for only cash. Now that he is off the table, it will take a trade to acquire that defenseman. The reason #2-3 is what I write is because a #4 wouldnt be ideal since we need someone to pair up top with Vatanen. Mueller/Butcher will likely prove one top 4 dman among the two of them and both can play LHD/RHD. Even if it is a #3 defenseman we acquire, that is then only slightly overplaying his role in the #2 slot with Vatanen as our #1 (he can eat 25+ mins a night and play both ends, steal of a deal for NJ).

Only players off the table are Hall, Hischier, Vatanen, and likely Butcher because he has the shine of a 40+ rookie year.

Edit: Candidates should be able to play 21-22+ minutes a night. Would prefer they're stronger defensively than offensively but beggars cant be choosers.

Halp.
Why do you have a rangers avatar

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Jake Muzzin would be a good fit for the New Jersey defense. Zacha would probably have to go back to LA in return though.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I'm a die hard devils fan so I would consider Trouba, Edler,Muzzin.

I really like Muzzin but I feel like hes too old honestly, given where we are in our re-tool process. id be looking for someone a bit younger. Trouba is a great example of what I would want, although I have to think his cost would be very high

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I'd take Gardiner in a heart beat. Don't listen to the other Devils fans that have no interest in him.

That being said, I wouldn't move Severson in a deal for him. Makes no sense with their long term contract situations
Watch his games. Lol. He is a disaster in the back end. Always has been. I defended him the last game when he got blamed for everything when only maybe two goals were on him.
There is a reason that Gardiner is in virtually every trade proposal by Leaf fans when their biggest need is a defenseman.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I really like Muzzin but I feel like hes too old honestly, given where we are in our re-tool process. id be looking for someone a bit younger. Trouba is a great example of what I would want, although I have to think his cost would be very high
Yeah I agree but who else is out there than can really help on the left side?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

Don't listen to other devil fans who have no interest in him? The leaf fans don't want the guy and when we say no you shouldn't listen to us. Lol.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
count me in on a Severson-Gardiner swap from the Leafs pov, also don't see a reason that Gardiner couldn't be signed ahead of the trade if that's what Jersey wanted. Guessing around $6M with the McDonaugh and De Haan signings is where the market lies

the negative gets concentrated on a lot with Gardiner, the Hyde part. When he's Jekyl, he's probably a #1, played at at that level from around December until the end of the regular season this past year, then had Hyde periods before and after. He'll leave you not understanding why he can't play to his potential all the time, but the good times area really good. Would guess he ages well too, great skater

Watch his games. Lol. He is a disaster in the back end. Always has been. I defended him the last game when he got blamed for everything when only maybe two goals were on him.
There is a reason that Gardiner is in virtually every trade proposal by Leaf fans when their biggest need is a defenseman.

when he's bad, he takes unnecessary risks in his own end and gets burned. When he's good, he is extremely efficient at getting the puck and moving it out of his own end under control. He's more good than bad, but you'd like to see it be less in the middle

and he's mentioned right now in a lot of proposals because Dermott is ready to take his place as the 2nd pairing LHD, its the Leafs right side that's weak. If Gardiner was a RHD, he wouldn't be available and would be extended. The Leafs need a top pairing RHD

Last edited:
Reactions: Raymoondo

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He carries our team far more nights than not, he's just the primetime whipping boy (he also gets the toughest assignments nightly) and didn't help that his partner struggled mightily last year with him.

He's still a legit #3/#4 LHD, accounting for his extreme highs, and lows. When he's at his best, he plays like a #1. When he's at his lowest, he'll look like an ECHL guy, but those lows are not remotely as much as fans push the narrative on.

Needless to say, I'm all-in for Severson/Santini. We have a glut of LHD and we need RHD desperately. If it weren't for that fact (and that need alone), I'm all for resigning him given most people think he sucks, which should bring his cap hit down. He's genuinely a quality player and no where near as terrible as he's being sold.

Reactions: Jeypic

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Any interest from devils fans for a guy like Jake McCabe? Would be a 3LD with the ability to move up to 2LD. Is only 24, has decent mobility and puck moving ability but is gritty as well. Has probably been played against too good of competition (often got 20+ minutes a night paired with guys like Bogosian, Franson, etc).

Buffalo would be interested in NHL level LW’s, prospects or picks.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Jake Muzzin would be a good fit for the New Jersey defense. Zacha would probably have to go back to LA in return though.

I would do that in heartbeat as well. If I had it my way, I'd do...

Zacha+ for Muzzin and something around Severson for Kadri.

We'd get our #1 option on the left side of our defense and we'd get a solid #2 center to play behind Hischier. With Tavares, I don't see why Kadri would want to stay as their 3rd line center behind Matthews and JT.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
He carries our team far more nights than not, he's just the primetime whipping boy (he also gets the toughest assignments nightly) and didn't help that his partner struggled mightily last year with him.

He's still a legit #3/#4 LHD, accounting for his extreme highs, and lows. When he's at his best, he plays like a #1. When he's at his lowest, he'll look like an ECHL guy, but those lows are not remotely as much as fans push the narrative on.

Needless to say, I'm all-in for Severson/Santini. We have a glut of LHD and we need RHD desperately. If it weren't for that fact (and that need alone), I'm all for resigning him given most people think he sucks, which should bring his cap hit down. He's genuinely a quality player and no where near as terrible as he's being sold.
You don't have to tell me about him. i somewhat agree with your evaluation. I have zero interest in him. He gets the same treatment that phaneuf did. Being a mid pairing D with first pairing offense and third pairing defense but is given way to much responsibility

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

To be honest, I'm not sure Severson fits the needs for Toronto anyway. We would be looking for a guy who would have above average Dzone starts, strong defensively, can move the puck out of the zone, and not so worried about offense. RHD of course.

Toronto might be better taking a picks/prospects, to turn around and use them to obtain a better fit for a RHD.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Muzzin is a guy I have wanted for awhile.

I don't really have any interest in a Severson for Gardiner swap because of the contract situations/ages of each player

Reactions: Missionhockey

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
I'll give you Alzner and a 6th round pick for a 5th round pick. No need to give up anybody on your roster (please take him from us)

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some Leafs fans are ready and willing to trade Gardiner, but I don't get the impression that the Leafs management feels that way.

The team needs a right-handed D, by all accounts. And if they traded Gardiner they would also need a lefty. Yet they've made no additions to the blueline whatsoever to this point. Doesn't seem to me like they're planning to get rid of someone.

The blueline is already the glaring issue for Toronto. Take Gardiner away and it's a train wreck. He has a bad game here and there, but he's an important player for the Lefas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad