Proposal: NJ needs a #2-3 LHD

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
New Jersey needs a #2-3 left-handed defenseman

De Haan wasn't quite a #2-3 but was available for only cash. Now that he is off the table, it will take a trade to acquire that defenseman. The reason #2-3 is what I write is because a #4 wouldnt be ideal since we need someone to pair up top with Vatanen. Mueller/Butcher will likely prove one top 4 dman among the two of them and both can play LHD/RHD. Even if it is a #3 defenseman we acquire, that is then only slightly overplaying his role in the #2 slot with Vatanen as our #1 (he can eat 25+ mins a night and play both ends, steal of a deal for NJ).

Only players off the table are Hall, Hischier, Vatanen, and likely Butcher because he has the shine of a 40+ rookie year.

Edit: Candidates should be able to play 21-22+ minutes a night. Would prefer they're stronger defensively than offensively but beggars cant be choosers.

Halp.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Gardiner as a #3 with an extension in place? Leafs have Dermott,Borgman,Rosen,Marincin, on the left side behind Rielly.

what would you offer?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Gardiner as a #3 with an extension in place? Leafs have Dermott,Borgman,Rosen,Marincin, on the left side behind Rielly.

what would you offer?
Gardiner is a bit of an offensive dman and we already have Vatanen, Butcher, and Severson is also a bit more offensively minded. Gardiner is certainly a good player but idk what Toronto is looking for.

What areas do you need more assets in? If Gardiner was in fact a fit.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Gardiner is a bit of an offensive dman and we already have Vatanen, Butcher, and Severson is also a bit more offensively minded. Gardiner is certainly a good player but idk what Toronto is looking for.

What areas do you need more assets in? If Gardiner was in fact a fit.
C, RD, or picks that can be used to get help in those areas. Honestly have no idea on his value because people usually either love or hate the guy.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
C, RD, or picks that can be used to get help in those areas. Honestly have no idea on his value because people usually either love or hate the guy.
It'd be tough for me to gauge a value because I dont think he really fits our needs - but if he were being offered Id always consider it depending on value

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Kings need another scoring winger. Muzzin or Martinez are the likely bait. No rentals.
Would LA really want to move Muzzin over Martinez? Isnt he decently better or am I being fed false information?

Scoring wingers available wouldnt include Palmieri (Muzzin isnt enough of an upgrade to give away our 2nd best winger) and likely not Johansson because he was injured a lot - Bratt could be had along with a package but we'd have to have an idea that Muzzin is willing to stay. Id prefer to hang onto Wood as he seems like a heart and soul kind of guy but if I have to...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Would LA really want to move Muzzin over Martinez? Isnt he decently better or am I being fed false information?

Scoring wingers available wouldnt include Palmieri (Muzzin isnt enough of an upgrade to give away our 2nd best winger) and likely not Johansson because he was injured a lot - Bratt could be had along with a package but we'd have to have an idea that Muzzin is willing to stay. Id prefer to hang onto Wood as he seems like a heart and soul kind of guy but if I have to...
I'd do Wood and something else for Martinez.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Can I interest you in 1 slightly used Carl Gunnarson? Not sure if he can do 21 mins a night anymore but meets everything else you mentioned.

I would take a 2nd in 2019
or
Johansson
or
Bratt?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Can I interest you in 1 slightly used Carl Gunnarson? Not sure if he can do 21 mins a night anymore but meets everything else you mentioned.

I would take a 2nd in 2019
or
Johansson
or
Bratt?
Unfortunately he isn't the type of defenseman we would be looking for. Sorry!

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Well no I'd be happy for him. I just think it's unlikely.
it is unlikely he puts up that much as well but he also surprised me with how strong he was defensively. If he was having a confidence issue and that is dissipating now with new younger European friends (Bratt, Hischier) and he is becoming stronger - I think he will really break out in the next year or two, he is only 21.

just a single goal and its nothing crazy but he started the play by working the puck defwnsively in the neutral zone and then roofs it top left/centerish over a top end goalie all in a two second span. If he can gain his confidence and continue growing more muscle, he could be real good

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
it is unlikely he puts up that much as well but he also surprised me with how strong he was defensively. If he was having a confidence issue and that is dissipating now with new younger European friends (Bratt, Hischier) and he is becoming stronger - I think he will really break out in the next year or two, he is only 21.

just a single goal and its nothing crazy but he started the play by working the puck defwnsively in the neutral zone and then roofs it top left/centerish over a top end goalie all in a two second span. If he can gain his confidence and continue growing more muscle, he could be real good

He still needs to prove it, but you're right the potential is there.

Would you be interested in Greene + Wood for Maatta + ZAR?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
He still needs to prove it, but you're right the potential is there.

Would you be interested in Greene + Wood for Maatta + ZAR?
Id prefer to hold onto Wood because he is so extremely fast and he began to be able to control his speed a bit better this year and played the slower parts of the game better - if he can continue like this he will be a Wilson type and you dont trade those guys unless the piece coming back is big. So sorry but I wouldnt involve Wood, nor would I want Maatta either. Looking for a tier above Maatta.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Id prefer to hold onto Wood because he is so extremely fast and he began to be able to control his speed a bit better this year and played the slower parts of the game better - if he can continue like this he will be a Wilson type and you dont trade those guys unless the piece coming back is big. So sorry but I wouldnt involve Wood, nor would I want Maatta either. Looking for a tier above Maatta.
That's fair I wouldn't trade Wood either.

Reactions: jorge martinez

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
Leafs need RHD, Jersey wants LHD

To TOR: Seversson + Santini + pick

To NJD: Gardiner + Carrick + Kapanen

Rielly-Seversson
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Dermott- Santini
Borgman

Looks like a balanced defence to me.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Leafs need RHD, Jersey wants LHD

To TOR: Seversson + Santini + pick

To NJD: Gardiner + Carrick + Kapanen

Rielly-Seversson
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Dermott- Santini
Borgman

Looks like a balanced defence to me.
I was also thinking about a Gardiner-Severson swap

I dont know if we can or even need to include Santini with Toronto's defense and prospects. Toronto also just signed Carrick.

How about simplify it to Severson+prospect for Gardiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad