Nioh - Action RPG for PS4 - February Release

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Harder than Bloodborne? I did better with Bloodborne than dark souls because of the pace of the encounters.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Harder than Bloodborne? I did better with Bloodborne than dark souls because of the pace of the encounters.

In my limited experience much harder than bloodborne. The enemies in this game do waaay too much damage.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
For what it's worth, apparently it's much easier to play coop in this game than it is in that souls series, and the co-op makes the game(especially the bosses) much easier.

So there is that option available if people are a bit hesitant to make the purchase.

In saying that, I will solo the game before I do any co-op options.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal

for me i played Demon's Soul, then DS1 and DS2, then bloodborne

initially i sucked like crazy in bloodborne because i was missing my shield, but once i got used to it i became really good in bloodborne and the game has completely ruined me for dark souls. I bought ds3 but never really got into it.

don't know what it is about bloodborne but it has really sucked me into the game, i still play on a weekly basis

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The most recent demo didn't feel much worse than anything in a Souls game. Difference is that I think this game will get progressively easier as you unlock new skills and level up your gear. Even something like parrying needs to be unlocked through the skill tree.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Reviews are saying the game is hard but not as hard as the demo version of the game. I'm curious to see what people say about it but it looks like I'll be downloading it tonight. Reviews are too good to ignore

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The prologue mission isn't great from what I played. Bad frames and lighting issues. The staircase feels weird as well. Seems a lot different than the demo so I'm hoping it's a different feel for only that mission

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I've played a couple of hours so far. The combat is really, really deep, and really cool. Easily the best part of the game. Enemies aren't crazy difficult, but when they hit you they really hit you. Mobs are very difficult to deal with, at least for me.

The mood of the game isn't nearly as oppressive as a souls game, which makes it easier for me, but the inspiration is everywhere.

I don't like the loot system, it's just way too much. Think of the First Mass Effect and Diablo. In the first two hours I have picked up the same couple of items with different specs at least 20 times, which then requires constant equipment changes and muddles up the inventory screen. I hate that, it just seems pointless to me.

All of the ninja and samurai stuff are awesome, and the leveling tree looks incredibly complex. It will be really easy to see a thousand different permutations of warriors from people playing this game, and I already kind of have by fighting the constant revenants littered throughout the game so far.

For those who don't know, revenants are AI versions of real human players that have died in specific spots in the game. You see a glowing red sword on the ground and you can choose to fight the AI "human" to try and get cool gear or whatever. These guys are pretty hard, much harder than the regular AI.

Anyway I'm having fun with the game but I'm admittedly not very good. The combat is so good though that I don't really mind the difficulty.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The prologue mission isn't great from what I played. Bad frames and lighting issues. The staircase feels weird as well. Seems a lot different than the demo so I'm hoping it's a different feel for only that mission

Which mode did you decide to play on? Action?

The staircases really messed me up too, almost gave me motion sickness. The next area isn't like that really at all though.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Don't touch the camera during stair cases. But also I haven't seen a staircase in the next 3 levels.

The loot system is great, I just need to wrap my head around the blacksmithing so I can do something useful with all the extra stuff I get.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Yeah the game plays A LOT better when you get to play your own style and aren't in that confined space. These games never do well with tight hallways and rooms

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I've been hearing some fantastic things about this game. Definitely going to give it a try eventually.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Against my better judgement I picked this game up knowing full well it would kick my ass. So far it hasn't been too bad though. Got through the prologue mission with relative ease. Only time I struggled was when I had to fight two knights at once. That was a pain for me. Overall I'm really having fun. The loot system really keeps me hooked too. Can someone tell me the rarity tree? Like white is obviously the most common, then yellow, then blue, then purple? Am I missing a color? Out of order?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Against my better judgement I picked this game up knowing full well it would kick my ass. So far it hasn't been too bad though. Got through the prologue mission with relative ease. Only time I struggled was when I had to fight two knights at once. That was a pain for me. Overall I'm really having fun. The loot system really keeps me hooked too. Can someone tell me the rarity tree? Like white is obviously the most common, then yellow, then blue, then purple? Am I missing a color? Out of order?

Goes from White, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Apparently Green in NG+

Kinda weird because that's... not the standard order for these things.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
apparently the story is based on an unfinished kurosawa script. Lots of stuff I did not know.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah this game is pretty awesome. I struggled against the second boss for a while, but now I'm cruising. I still die occasionally, but I'm getting better and better every minute. I don't think it's quite as difficult as Dark Souls. The ranged weapons are a total gamechanger BTW. Makes things quite a bit easier.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone know if it's possible to change your preferred weapon type after the very beginning? I'm kinda tired running around with a huge axe. I'd like to give the double swords a try, but all I ever find are axes.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Doesn't seem like the choice at the start really makes much of a difference. I'm getting plenty of drops of every weapon type.

Main roadblock seems to be the skill trees; I've got a pretty good spear but no spear skills unlocked.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
What skill boosts the kusarigama weapons? i guess dexterity?

i picked this wep because i preferred the threaded cane in bloodborne over all other weps, and so far i'm really liking it in nioh.

what does the ki pulse do? it boosts stam regen?

i've done the prologue mission and killed the boss, my ship wrecked off the coast and i've done a few rounds to gain amirita and level up.

i'm really really liking the combat so far, i wish there was some sort of visceral attack type mechanic like in Bloodborne

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What skill boosts the kusarigama weapons? i guess dexterity?

i picked this wep because i preferred the threaded cane in bloodborne over all other weps, and so far i'm really liking it in nioh.

what does the ki pulse do? it boosts stam regen?

i've done the prologue mission and killed the boss, my ship wrecked off the coast and i've done a few rounds to gain amirita and level up.

i'm really really liking the combat so far, i wish there was some sort of visceral attack type mechanic like in Bloodborne

Ki Pulse is a stamina boost, it works like active reload from Gears of War. It also has damage boosts associated with it when you get further in the skill tree, similar to like a perfect dodge in the new Devil May Cry.

The visceral attacks are more like how they were in Ninja Gaiden 2, which I don't mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad