Nintendo Switch #5

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know that the expansion pass is slated to come out sometime in October, but it seems odd to be almost halfway through October and yet there’s no official release date and pricing yet.

Well we got both. $50 annually for the whole deal which includes the Animal Crossing DLC.

It's not the best value but not the worst. I think for me I want to wait until a few more N64 games get added and to see if other DLCs will be on it as well. Then it could become a much better value

Reactions: robertmac43

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Reactions: Chaels Arms

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nintendo's pricing is always a touchy subject, and they generally always over charge (the lack of sale prices on older games being one of the most egregious examples)

That said I think some folks on reddit are vastly over reacting to this. It's currently not the best value, but end of the day $50 a year is not that much money and it's entirely optional.

Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and seems to be a place for people to complain about not getting free stuff or to feel they now have a moral obligation to pirate.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Nintendo needs to pass me some of what they're on. $30 extra, more than the base price, for some N64 and Genesis games lol. Meanwhile you still have to use your phone to even have functional voice chat in most online Switch games. If the service didn't completely suck $50 would be fair (at least in the console market) but it's already a rip off at $20 and adding more old games that you can play a million other ways isn't really helping.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Nintendo needs to pass me some of what they're on. $30 extra, more than the base price, for some N64 and Genesis games lol. Meanwhile you still have to use your phone to even have functional voice chat in most online Switch games. If the service didn't completely suck $50 would be fair (at least in the console market) but it's already a rip off at $20 and adding more old games that you can play a million other ways isn't really helping.

It's how to get the full Nintendo experience apparently.

I get server costs, but Nintendo isn't exactly running on the same level as Sony or MS either. I like the Switch, but also as a Wii U owner, it's been such a frustrating experience. What I hoped for, was tons of new IP, new sequels, I got many, many repackaged Wii U games, Wii remasters, and now, the online costs money.

I had to look to up, as I couldn't believe it, but wut, the cherry on top is paying more to rent N64/Genesis games...sure, you get DLC (if you want it), but it's like the r/gaming meme about modern games like a burger, all the toppings used to be included, now they cost extra.

I've already said my piece earlier about Nintendo, but they have balls, give them that.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The N64 was my first console and I loved it back in the day, but that early 3D stuff is just so damn hard to look at anymore....

You need to have a tiny CRT and rose-tinted glasses.

And I own most things besides the very latest consoles, a PS3, N64, Master System/Atari. I've even done the whole Pi thing...had more fun setting it up, than playing it. But agreed with others, the spites held up better, and then largely have to skip over to the PS2 era.

I remember when I first got my PS, and one of the demos was for Jumping Flash or something, and I got the first NHL Faceoff game from Sony...I do not know how I played the heck of that demo or that hockey game. Tomb Raider was so great back then, but now...I struggle to even.

Although I still like the later Ridge Racers titles on the PS, post analog stick era wasn't all terrible.

And I can play Mario 64 on the 3d remaster for Switch, and I still can't get into the game, those controls, that camera.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Have Advance wars on wiiU

1 of the all time greats.

Nintendo may push outdated hardware (imo not a big deal) and has ripoff prices (imo a big deal) but their level of quality and their focus on gameplay is unrivaled.

Sony and MS in comparison offer locked, loss leader PCs with relatively little to set themselves apart.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Went ahead and made the upgrade to the Switch OLED.

I gotta say, the new screen is a real treat and the added actual screen area is quite nice. I'm very happy with it.

Not much benefit for TV play that I have found, aside from a nicer dock.

If you are buying a Switch and intend to use it handheld, I would say the OLED model is worth the cash. As an upgrade? Tougher question, and depends on the individual. Personally, I'm happier with the upgrade than I thought I would be, which surprised me.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nintendo made some interesting decisions with their N64 button mapping, and didn’t make it very intuitive to find out how to do the directional yellow buttons.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Playing BOTW on my 65” and with Bluetooth headphones is a Saturday morning dream come true. Can’t believe it took this long for that functionality but I’m glad it’s here :yo:

Reactions: robertmac43

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
After not buying a new game for my Switch in ages I decided to buy Football Manager 22. Holds up really well to the PC version, takes a few things away from the PC version that i miss and some that i dont miss. Main issues vs the PC version are things they cant fix, like the inability to use mods, facepacks and license fixes; and limitations on the number of leagues you can run. Though that isnt terrible you can load upto 5 nations (with all leagues in those nations). Navigating with a controller is never gonna be as good as mouse and keyboard for this game but they controls are pretty good. My only complaint is i wish in docked mode they upped the resolution so you can get more of the information on the screen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad