Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think I am going to be starting a BOTW journey and was wondering that because this game is open from the start, should I get a strategy guide in how to beat it since I might be overwhelmed? Or should I just go wherever I feel like since I know nothing and beat it that way?
I would suggest going in blind. It'll make the game feel more personal to you, and stumbling across some of the secrets throughout the map really helped to bring the world to life for me.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Question about the online ... what do you think of it? I believe its no longer free right? Also, is it easy to find and play with friends, etc?

Sorry, I'm in the same boat as you - don't have a Switch but have thought about it over the past year.

I'm just telling you what I've told myself. :laugh:

Reactions: CPTN71

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Online is literally trash and will never get better. If online play is important to you then the Switch is a bad idea.

I think I am going to be starting a BOTW journey and was wondering that because this game is open from the start, should I get a strategy guide in how to beat it since I might be overwhelmed? Or should I just go wherever I feel like since I know nothing and beat it that way?

Go in blind. Follow the main “story” as far as Kakariko and Hateno villages and then just start to do your thing but definitely do not use a guide. It’s not needed and this game isn’t confusing like RDR2.

After several hours and getting your bearing then it’s fine to cheat a little and look up some help but you will enjoy the game so much more if you just wander around.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
As someone who just beat it (and got suggestions from people on here), I found that I went blind most of the time, but felt that getting some help on shrine locations was nice to have. I didnt use a guide in a sense to beat it, but did at times look up, depending on the area i was in, where the shrines were. I enjoyed the shrines so it made it more fun for me.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Online is literally trash and will never get better. If online play is important to you then the Switch is a bad idea.

The answer is no, the friend system is a giant pain but playing Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 online is super fun once you find games.

Dang... really?

I ask because part of the interest I had in Smash Brothers Ultimate was playing online after awhile..

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Dang... really?

I ask because part of the interest I had in Smash Brothers Ultimate was playing online after awhile..

They have these weird 12 digit codes assigned to accounts and you need to add the code to add the friend. It's really clunky. It's like they ignored the systems by other consoles and for computer games.

Once you're playing online it's fun but adding friends is a huge pain in the ass.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
They have these weird 12 digit codes assigned to accounts and you need to add the code to add the friend. It's really clunky. It's like they ignored the systems by other consoles and for computer games.

Once you're playing online it's fun but adding friends is a huge pain in the ass.

Gotcha.. so the actual online play is OK. I'm gonna have to read some more reviews on it or something.

EDIT: here is what I found for SBU online play... CNET article

There's no telling until the game is in the wild, but there's an expectation given that Nintendo is charging for online multiplayer for the first time that we'll see an improvement to Smash's online options. After Nintendo confirmed that the game would include a number of online features, the full suite of options was detailed during the November Nintendo Direct.
The game is no longer splitting online players between competitive and non-competitive matchmaking. Instead, three factors are used to determine who you play against.
Preferred rules, which you set prior to your matches, will help pair you with other players who want to play stocked or time battles, or want to play with or without items. GSP is your power ranking, which will be used to determine your skill level relative to other Smash players to ensure you're playing competitive matches. And above all, the matchmaking system will prioritize other players within your region to ensure stability.
You can also engage in private matches with friends, along with the standard suite of spectating the recording options fighting game fans will be familiar with.
And in case you forgot it existed, the Nintendo Switch's mobile app will be your means for communicating with players over voice, since Smash Bros. Ultimate lacks native voice support. Nintendo is also launching a separate app, Smash World, for players to share gameplay footage between each other

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Online is functional...and if you can deal with the bad design then online play is enjoyable, but it’s super shallow and not user friendly.

That ‘arena’ set up they keep showing off in Smash Bros looks like it could be cool though. Would be fun to get a big group joining the arena and just have a long tournament.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Lotsa great deals on the eshop. Damn near everything is on sale.

Mario + Rabbids gold edition is also on sale. I can’t reccomend this game enough. Legit top 5 Switch game.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Well.. its official.

Ordered the Switch tonight off of Gamestop.. seemed like they had a good deal with a $50 gift card included.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You’re gonna love it.

BOTW
Mario: Odyssey
Mario Kart 8
Pokémon
Smash Bros
Mario + Rabbids
Splatoon
Octopath Traveller
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Stardew Valley
Celeste
Undertale
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight
Rocket League (cross platform online)
Golf Story
Enter the Gungeon
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Country TF
Sonic Mania
Overcooked 1 + 2
Doom
Wolfenstein 2
Super Mario Party

And that’s just the stuff that appeals to me (not that I’m foing to buy all of those games).

2019 could conceivably have Metroid Prime 4, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, legit new Pokémon and surely more I’m forgetting about. Theres also the absurdly titled New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe which is coming early 2019, that’s a tremendous 2D Mario from the Wii U that nobody played.

Also

Last edited:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Lotsa great deals on the eshop. Damn near everything is on sale.

Mario + Rabbids gold edition is also on sale. I can’t reccomend this game enough. Legit top 5 Switch game.

It's probably not on my top 5, but damn it's a great game.

Well.. its official.

Ordered the Switch tonight off of Gamestop.. seemed like they had a good deal with a $50 gift card included.

The MK8 bundle?

You’re gonna love it.

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Pokémon
Smash Bros
Mario + Rabbids
Splatoon
Octopath Traveller
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Stardew Valley
Celeste
Undertale
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight
Golf Story
Enter the Gungeon
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Country TF
Sonic Mania
Overcooked 1 + 2
Doom
Wolfenstein 2
Super Mario Party

And that’s just the stuff that appeals to me (not that I’m foing to buy all of those games).

2019 could conceivably have Metroid Prime 4, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, legit new Pokémon and surely more I’m forgetting about. Theres also the absurdly titled New Super Mario Bros Wii U Deluxe which is coming early 2019, that’s a tremendous 2D Mario from the Wii U that nobody played.

Also

From first party you are missing out on both Fire Emblem and Yoshi that's confirmed for first half of 2019, there's also quite a bit of third party exclusives announced like Town, Daemon X Machina and Yokai Waitch 4.. possibly Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V.

2019 Looks to be an amazing year for Switch owners. Time to jump in now if anything =)

Just picked up a Switch. Loving it so far.

No bluetooth is probably my biggest gripe.

The silly thing is, the Switch has blutooth but is not utilizing it. Silly Nintendo...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am just finishing Moonlighter. A cool concept for a game, pretty enjoyable but it does get old fast. The first dungeon is quite difficult but once you do a few runs of the 2nd dungeon it just becomes too easy. I only had to do 2-3 runs of the 3rd and 4th dungeon to get more money than I would ever need, pulling in 1.5-2mil per day easily.

Game has a lot of good points but feels kind of unfinished. So many bugs, like really bad bugs. I enjoyed the game but I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You’re gonna love it.

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Pokémon
Smash Bros
Mario + Rabbids
Splatoon
Octopath Traveller
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Stardew Valley
Celeste
Undertale
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Shovel Knight
Golf Story
Enter the Gungeon
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Country TF
Sonic Mania
Overcooked 1 + 2
Doom
Wolfenstein 2
Super Mario Party

Also

I'm pretty pumped... splurged for 2 day shipping :facepalm:

Did you ever end up playing Bad North? I can't remember if it was you I talked about that game with over the summer.

Also, any thoughts on Kirby AllStars and Captain Toad? Saw those were on sale at Walmart in the $30s. A lot of the big name games you mentioned were on sale for $45 so I'll definitely be picking a few up.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm pretty pumped... splurged for 2 day shipping :facepalm:

Did you ever end up playing Bad North? I can't remember if it was you I talked about that game with over the summer.

Also, any thoughts on Kirby AllStars and Captain Toad? Saw those were on sale at Walmart in the $30s. A lot of the big name games you mentioned were on sale for $45 so I'll definitely be picking a few up.

Still haven’t played Bad North. The reviews for it were not very favourable. Sounds like it’s not worth any more than a few bucks. Pretty disappointing considering the prime Nintendo Direct spot if got a year ago.

Can’t speak to Kirby, not much of a Kirby fan at all. I freaking ADORE Captain Toad though. I love it so much and would reccomend it to anybody. It’s a fairly easy, slow paced, and adorable game.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Still haven’t played Bad North. The reviews for it were not very favourable. Sounds like it’s not worth any more than a few bucks. Pretty disappointing considering the prime Nintendo Direct spot if got a year ago.

Can’t speak to Kirby, not much of a Kirby fan at all. I freaking ADORE Captain Toad though. I love it so much and would reccomend it to anybody. It’s a fairly easy, slow paced, and adorable game.

Does the Switch have an achievement/trophy system? I might just pick up both for some fun down the road after getting through the must plays...unless you think by the time I get to them they'll be even cheaper?

Right now the plan is Super Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros to start.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
No trophies/achievements.

The sales on Switch eShop have been pretty weak for months now. If you’ve got the money and see a good deal then jump on it. Stuff won’t get much cheaper than it is now.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Enjoying Mario Odyssey so far. Mario Kart online multiplayer is a ton of fun. Probably won't be playing it much offline though.

Also been playing Fortnite and a little FIFA.

Overall the Switch is pretty awesome. However the online is shit, especially when it's a paid service. Also kinda have to pump a ton of money into it after buying. Definitely gonna have to drop another $60 on the pro controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad