Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Weirdly enough, I loved Mario Tennis back in the day despite zero interest in the sport itself.

Colour me intrigued.

To be fair, I was also a big fan of Mario Kart despite not generally enjoying racing games.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
So, there have been some leaks for the new Switch Pokemon game:

Title: Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Apparently it is a re-imagining of Pokemon Yellow/Kanto with "mechanics from Pokemon GO".

The last part worries me a bit, but I won't get ahead of myself before the mechanics are released. From the leaked images, they could just be referring to Pokemon being visible from the overworld and maybe tossing pokeballs via touchscreen? At least thats what I'm telling myself to prevent spiraling. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
So, there have been some leaks for the new Switch Pokemon game:

Title: Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Apparently it is a re-imagining of Pokemon Yellow/Kanto with "mechanics from Pokemon GO".

The last part worries me a bit, but I won't get ahead of myself before the mechanics are released. From the leaked images, they could just be referring to Pokemon being visible from the overworld and maybe tossing pokeballs via touchscreen? At least thats what I'm telling myself to prevent spiraling. :laugh:

And just like that, my interest has waned.

We'll see if E3 can bring that back up. :laugh:

Reactions: Nizdizzle

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It seems like the switch is only slightly more powerful than the wii u, with the caveat that actual development is way waaaay easier on the hardware. 1st and 3rd parties games would be constantly delayed during the wii u, now games are coming fast and furious. Only high profile delay on the switch has been yooka laylee i believe.

Also Mario Tennis looks fantastic. I dont know if this was in the wii u version but the gameplay looks really intrigueing

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It seems like the switch is only slightly more powerful than the wii u

Isn't this what people say about every Nintendo console, though?

The Wii U was supposedly only a slightly more powerful, HD version of the Wii.

The Wii was only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube - I remember people often referring to it as "two Gamecubes taped together."

Nintendo doesn't ever prioritize big leaps forward in hardware power. They innovate mainly on the user interface side, but increase the hardware itself only in iterative steps, making it just powerful enough to run the kinds of games they want to create.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Even with the underpowered hardware they still manage to make their games look good.

Very true, but on the flipside it makes it harder for your "mainstream" games to port to Switch and still look good.

But it's mobile. Hard to be upset with that.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Even with the underpowered hardware they still manage to make their games look good.

"Underpowered" relative to what though? It's a loaded term.

Nintendo's consoles are not underpowered, they always have adequate hardware power to create the games that Nintendo wants to create.

Maybe it's the other consoles that are "overpowered."

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Nintendo's consoles are not underpowered, they always have adequate hardware power to create the games that Nintendo wants to create.

Well, underpowered compared to their competitors. It's hard to say that some games (God of War) aren't visually stunning, but often graphics are put ahead of gameplay and aesthetic.

I've never really cared that the Switch is inferior hardware-wise compared to the Xbone and the PS4. But I won't deny that it's nice to think about the new Smash game in 4K with top notch graphics.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

They're underpowered in the sense that you can't just port a PS4/XBone game over and have it run well. It's perfectly powerful for Nintendo games, but underpowered for standard third-party games. This is only really an issue if you only have Nintendo consoles, but...I maintain that only owning a N64 as an adolescent who wanted to play JRPGs and sports games is why I have seething disdain for that...thing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Mario Tennis looks freaking great!

If the new Pokemon is going to make significant changes to the formula then count me intrigued as I hate what Pokemon games are.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I've been hyped for Mario Tennis Aces since the first release trailer and I'm even more so now.
Once I beat Ni No Kuni 2 I'll probably trade it in to GameStop and put it directly towards Mario Tennis as a pre-order.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It seems like the switch is only slightly more powerful than the wii u, with the caveat that actual development is way waaaay easier on the hardware. 1st and 3rd parties games would be constantly delayed during the wii u, now games are coming fast and furious. Only high profile delay on the switch has been yooka laylee i believe.

Also Mario Tennis looks fantastic. I dont know if this was in the wii u version but the gameplay looks really intrigueing

That looks great. Nintendo is killing it with the Switch, definitely the only console I have any interest in right now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I have played a combined total of about twenty minutes of Pokemon over the course of my entire life, so it's just a series that I'm not interested in at this point. That being said, after Nintendo absolutely hit it out of the park with BotW and Odyssey, I think they should get a bit of the benefit of the doubt for the time being when it comes to their major IPs.

Streak has to end eventually though, so who knows? Might stink.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have played a combined total of about twenty minutes of Pokemon over the course of my entire life, so it's just a series that I'm not interested in at this point. That being said, after Nintendo absolutely hit it out of the park with BotW and Odyssey, I think they should get a bit of the benefit of the doubt for the time being when it comes to their major IPs.

Streak has to end eventually though, so who knows? Might stink.
Mainline Pokémon games are usually solid, though not really amazing. Funny enough most Pokémon fans actually want more of the spinoffs (Snap, Stadium, etc) that were really popular back in the day.

I enjoy Pokémon to some degree but I'm honestly not sure what I'd want or expect from a main series game. I prefer Gold/Silver so re-doing gen 1 again is sorta interesting but I also might just prefer gen 8 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad