Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I said that about Pokemon X and still hated it. I am convinced now I will never like Pokemon until they do a massive gameplay overhaul/update, which they never will because Pokemon fans would flip their ****.
I have tried I think 2 different times to get back into Pokemon and both times failed. I have fun at first but then I just get bored playing.
I'm willing to try ONE more time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have tried I think 2 different times to get back into Pokemon and both times failed. I have fun at first but then I just get bored playing.
I'm willing to try ONE more time.
The gameplay isn't going to change anytime soon. They mixed up the formula a bit in Sun/Moon, but that's about it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Assuming the Switch is going to have games available from most of their prior systems you'd think the old Pokémon games would turn up eventually.

I'd agree, although it may depend on how carefully they want to tread around the 3DS.

I like your line of thought, though. Truly, you are a great Keith amongst lesser Keiths!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
First impression of Death Road to Canada is I really like it. Haven’t gotten too far or played a ton, but a really unique game. Hack n slash, text adeventure, stat building, rogue like.

If you buy it make sure you reboot your Switch before playing it. The frame rate is literally unplayable if you just download it and jump right into it. Some weird glitch. The devs tweeted about it. I tried to play for like a half hour with the choppy broken frame rate. lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd agree, although it may depend on how carefully they want to tread around the 3DS.

I like your line of thought, though. Truly, you are a great Keith amongst lesser Keiths!
;)

As much as I love my 3DS and got a ton of mileage out of it, it's time to put it down for good, Nintendo. Put everything you can from the 3DS on the Switch.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love my 3DS, but it's woefully underpowered for a games machine in 2015201620172018.

I'm cool getting a drip of niche JRPGs on it, but I don't want any more 'big' games on it when they could just be on the Switch instead.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The 3DS is great but I am 100% done with it.

Samus Returns would have been a must buy for me on Switch but on 3DS I didn’t even consider it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The only games on 3ds I'm still interested in are thevgunvolt azure striker games, look like very cool successors to megaman zero. It has a steam version as well though so I'm not even sure I want in on handheld

That and Metroid look cool.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Samus Returns would have been a must buy for me on Switch but on 3DS I didn’t even consider it.

No way do they put that game on Switch with how popular the franchise is, it would a costly gamble with poor odds.

So you have the system but won't play a game from a franchise you clearly enjoy? I'd say that's stranger than Nintendo still supporting the 3DS.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Why not?

If there's a game that looks good for a system that you own, why wouldn't you even consider it?

Curious to understand your thinking here.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Why not?

If there's a game that looks good for a system that you own, why wouldn't you even consider it?

Curious to understand your thinking here.

Because I don't like Metroid enough to dig into my closet for my 3DS and I am not so obsessive a gamer that I feel like I am missing out on something. I have plenty to play on my Switch, I don't need, and I especially don't want multiple handheld videogame devices kicking around.

Playing Metroid Returns on the 3DS would be "appointment viewing" for me, and I just can't be bothered. I'm not spending good money on a game I will play once, probably won't finish anyway, and on a system I haven't touched in well over a year.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The only games on 3ds I'm still interested in are thevgunvolt azure striker games, look like very cool successors to megaman zero. It has a steam version as well though so I'm not even sure I want in on handheld

That and Metroid look cool.
They came out with the Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack for Switch last August, and it has both games on one cart/download. I recommend picking it up if you’re interested in playing those games - they’re a ton of fun.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No way do they put that game on Switch with how popular the franchise is, it would a costly gamble with poor odds.

So you have the system but won't play a game from a franchise you clearly enjoy? I'd say that's stranger than Nintendo still supporting the 3DS.
Are 3DS games even selling that well anymore? Despite the huge install base you don't hear much about 3DS games selling a whole lot.

How much did Samus Returns sell?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Because I don't like Metroid enough to dig into my closet for my 3DS and I am not so obsessive a gamer that I feel like I am missing out on something. I have plenty to play on my Switch, I don't need, and I especially don't want multiple handheld videogame devices kicking around.

Playing Metroid Returns on the 3DS would be "appointment viewing" for me, and I just can't be bothered. I'm not spending good money on a game I will play once, probably won't finish anyway, and on a system I haven't touched in well over a year.

I'm just not getting how retrieving something from your closet is so especially onerous.

You haven't touched it in over a year. What does that have to do with anything? Does it not still work? If it still works, what does it matter when the last time you used it?

You really don't have space in your house for two small, handheld systems?

I'm sorry, I'm sincerely trying to understand your logic and position, but none of your reasons make much sense to me. You like Metroid enough that you would play it if it came out for Switch, but won't play it since it is on 3DS. Despite the fact that you already have a 3DS and could easily play it if you bought the game.

To me, it sounds like you've just decided that, since the Switch exists, the 3DS should no longer exist, and therefore you are just choosing to forgo new quality 3DS games simply because of that position. But that seems kind of silly. Why deprive yourself of good games that you would probably enjoy for a system that you already own, simply because you think the system should be retired?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
To me, it sounds like you've just decided that, since the Switch exists, the 3DS should no longer exist, and therefore you are just choosing to forgo new quality 3DS games simply because of that position.

That is correct.

But that seems kind of silly. Why deprive yourself of good games that you would probably enjoy for a system that you already own, simply because you think the system should be retired?

I get the sense I don't enjoy games as much as you do. Time spent playing videogames is time taken away form doing other things I also enjoy so I don't need to play a videogame just because it is a good game. This is why I still don't own a PS4 or XBone.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's simply no point to the 3DS anymore. It was a fantastic system with lots of great games but Nintendo should pool all their resources into the Switch, and especially the online aspect for it.

It's 2018 and we still can't play a simple Mario game online.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The point to the 3DS is that there are still 55 million more of them out there.

The last Pokemon game probably sold more copies than they've sold Switches.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The point to the 3DS is that there are still 55 million more of them out there.

The last Pokemon game probably sold more copies than they've sold Switches.
That's Pokémon though. You could put Pokémon on a calculator and it would still sell 5 million at least. Pokémon drives console sales, ergo it only makes sense to put it on the new system.

I don't know if Samus Returns even broke 1 million units.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don't think that the continued existence of the 3DS has any effect one way or the other on the development of games for the Switch. I really don't.

Nintendo has supported two consoles at any given time since the first Game Boy came out in the 80s. I don't think they are especially strained by supporting two now. The co-existence of a handheld line has never before hindered their development of a wealth of first-party games for their main home console; even the Gamecube and the Wii U received good libraries of first-party titles.

What will matter for the Switch is how well it is supported by 3rd parties going forward.

I just don't get why people are so eager to bury the 3DS line. As long as it's selling enough to justify its existence, why not just leave it be? It's not hurting and threatening the Switch in any way.

Besides, t's good for Nintendo to have a bit of a stratified product line. They're both handhelds, yeah, but in other ways they are differentiated products. You can get a new 3DS/2DS for <$150, while the Switch retails for $300. New games are generally $30-$40 for the 3DS versus $60 for Switch. Those price differences really matter for some people. And it's good for Nintendo to have a lower-cost, more accessible product line on the market.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That's Pokémon though. You could put Pokémon on a calculator and it would still sell 5 million at least. Pokémon drives console sales, ergo it only makes sense to put it on the new system.

I don't know if Samus Returns even broke 1 million units.

Pokemon significantly driving sales of a full price console would remain to be seen, tbh. I feel like the market who is going to lineup for Pokemon at this point either already has a Switch or would have to convince Mom and Dad to spend $300+.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pokemon significantly driving sales of a full price console would remain to be seen, tbh. I feel like the market who is going to lineup for Pokemon at this point either already has a Switch or would have to convince Mom and Dad to spend $300+.
I'm pretty sure that X/Y significantly boosted the 3DS' sales when it wasn't really solid with the market yet.

Pokémon is one of the holy trinity of Nintendo franchises, along with Zelda and Mario. Those are system sellers with Smash not far behind.

I don't think that the continued existence of the 3DS has any effect one way or the other on the development of games for the Switch. I really don't.

Nintendo has supported two consoles at any given time since the first Game Boy came out in the 80s. I don't think they are especially strained by supporting two now. The co-existence of a handheld line has never before hindered their development of a wealth of first-party games for their main home console; even the Gamecube and the Wii U received good libraries of first-party titles.

What will matter for the Switch is how well it is supported by 3rd parties going forward.

I just don't get why people are so eager to bury the 3DS line. As long as it's selling enough to justify its existence, why not just leave it be? It's not hurting and threatening the Switch in any way.

Besides, t's good for Nintendo to have a bit of a stratified product line. They're both handhelds, yeah, but in other ways they are differentiated products. You can get a new 3DS/2DS for <$150, while the Switch retails for $300. New games are generally $30-$40 for the 3DS versus $60 for Switch. Those price differences really matter for some people. And it's good for Nintendo to have a lower-cost, more accessible product line on the market.
The difference is that the Switch fills the "Handheld" niche and that market is being taken over by mobile games anyway. There's a reason why the Vita wasn't all that successful despite being a very nice piece of hardware.

The fact that Nintendo is finally releasing a mainline Pokémon game on their "home" console to me signifies the end of the second pillar of their empire. The N64 didn't get one, the Gamecube didn't get one, the Wii didn't, and the Wii U didn't... and 3 of those systems could've really used the help.

The 3DS was a great system but it's run it's course and every time I see a new Nintendo game announced for it I (along with others) bemoan the inability to put it on the Switch instead. The Luigi's Mansion port? Put it on Switch. It covers the best of both worlds.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I'm pretty sure that X/Y significantly boosted the 3DS' sales when it wasn't really solid with the market yet.

The 3DS was half the price of a Switch by that point. Buying a Switch and a game will cost twice as much money as buying a 3DS and a game. Most of the zealots who can afford it already have one. A chunk of the rest of the Pokemon fanbase will have to wait and hope Santa brings it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->