Proposal: Nino Niederreiter?

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Hockey was a huge reach at #4. A better comparison is Hamil.

That said I like what I saw of Niño at the WJC and 4 or 5 times I saw him in the WHL.

I think the Islanders rushed him but him producing in the AHL makes me think a limited 3rd line role with some PP time ie Bourques spot would be perfect. I'm not a Bourque hater but if you can get Niño for any prospects not named Spooner Koko and Hamilton. I do it ....

How about Caron, Bourque, and a young defensive prospect? I'd like to see Nino get a shot at our 3rd line.

Nino was dynamic as a junior, but my point was that if he can't crack an Islanders lineup...how can he crack a Bruins lineup unless the front office is specifcaly makigng room for him (something I only recall seeing with veterans so far).

I haven't been watching, but how is it that he could not crack the Islanders lineup?

Islanders have a history of snubbing their young prospects. They don't even give them camp invites. I think that's one of the reasons Nino wants out.
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/buzz-nino-niederreiter-is-seeking-a-trade/

And no, I don't get all the trade proposals shipping Subban out of town. Do people hate him that much?

And Caron still has some trade value as a former 1st rounder right?

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How about Caron, Bourque, and a young defensive prospect? I'd like to see Nino get a shot at our 3rd line.

Islanders have a history of snubbing their young prospects. They don't even give them camp invites. I think that's one of the reasons Nino wants out.
http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/buzz-nino-niederreiter-is-seeking-a-trade/

?

After 5 yrs of stockpiling prospects, Snow has a glut of unproven prospects.
So, he won't move Nino in a depth trade or for 2-3 players with lower upside.

Just like when he's shopped his last 3-4 lottery picks, demanding 1 young player with very high upside back, Snow would demand 1 young, potential stud in exchange for the 1 young, potential stud he's giving up.

Nino's agent has given 2 post trade demand interviews and in both, he indicates that he doesn't expect Snow to trade Nino. At 20, Nino has no leverage to force a trade.

His pouting means little to Snow.Probably as much as Nabby or Vis's pouting did.

Kaoz*

Just like when he's shopped his last 3-4 lottery picks, demanding 1 young player with very high upside back, Snow would demand 1 young, potential stud in exchange for the 1 young, potential stud he's giving up.

Nino's agent has given 2 post trade demand interviews and in both, he indicates that he doesn't expect Snow to trade Nino. At 20, Nino has no leverage to force a trade.

His pouting means little to Snow.Probably as much as Nabby or Vis's pouting did.

Hrm... interesting. Doesn't seem like there's much chance he gets moved then.

Just out of curiosity sake, as an Isles fan with likely I assume more insight into what Snow would be asking for such a guy, who do you see as a match (if anyone) from the Bruins? Would something around Caron++ do it for instance?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hrm... interesting. Doesn't seem like there's much chance he gets moved then.

Just out of curiosity sake, as an Isles fan with likely I assume more insight into what Snow would be asking for such a guy, who do you see as a match (if anyone) from the Bruins? Would something around Caron++ do it for instance?

Snow and his scouts think Nino's got 30 goal potential. He remains their top prospect.
If Nino is moved, imo it'll bring back someone with similar 1st line or 1st pairing upside.
Snow may need to add something to land that player, but it won't be for a prospect with lower upside who'll get lost in the shuffled of solid youngsters: Strome, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Kabanov, Perrson.

I have asked the same question of Pens fans: why would the NYI send a young power forward, who they think has 30 goal potential, to a conference rival?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Snow and his scouts think Nino's got 30 goal potential. He remains their top prospect.
If Nino is moved, imo it'll bring back someone with similar 1st line or 1st pairing upside.
Snow may need to add something to land that player, but it won't be for a prospect with lower upside who'll get lost in the shuffled of solid youngsters: Ullstrom, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Kabanov, Perrson.

I have asked the same question of Pens fans: why would the NYI send a young power forward, who they think has 30 goal potential, to a conference rival?

Because it's the best deal they can find, and they feel it improves their team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Because it's the best deal they can find, and they feel it improves their team.

So, taking prospects with lower upside back, to add to their GLUT of prospects, improves the NYI?

Interesting take. Fortunately, according to McKenzie, Botta, Strang and Staples, Snow doesn't view it that way.

Imo he'll let Nino pout, until either injuries this season get Nino called up or next season's training camp.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

Thanks for giving the Isles perspective. It makes perfect sense to me.

I think Caron + was something that Bruins fans threw out there as what they WOULD be willing to give up, but I do understand that the deal is a likely non-starter from the Isles perspective.

If the Isles are looking for a player in return who will instantly step into the top line or D pair, then I don't think there is a match to be made with Boston. The Bruins will likely look to add without touching their current roster.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I've mentioned Malcolm Subban in this thread.

Would the Isles consider a goalie with that kind of upside?

Unlikely.
1. Poulin/Nilson haven't been as good this season as last, season, when they led the ST to the division crown but the isles seem to remain high on them. It didn't help that the Sound Tigers opened this season with a very young roster and had some injuries to key players. Snow's tried to add vets along the way. Koskinen, who I'd written off as a potential Isle, is having a good season.

I expect one of those 3 will be the isles eventual #1. Nabby's been very solid. Staples quoted Nabokov's agent in a recent article, about not yet hearing from the isles about an extension. I'm not sure if the isles aren't trying to get a better idea, of whether one Nilson/Poulin/Koskinen will be ready to contribute in 2013-2014.

2. I'd think if Nino is dealt, Isles would rather it'd be out west, so he doesn't spend the next 10 yrs playing against the NYI with a chip on his shoulder.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Snow may need to add something to land that player, but it won't be for a prospect with lower upside who'll get lost in the shuffled of solid youngsters: Strome, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Kabanov, Perrson.

OK, I will deal you Caron, Bourque and Camara for him... All should get about 30 goals per season in the NHL:.... Combined! :laugh:

Would take Spooner + IMO to get Nino. two of our top 4 prospects minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad