Proposal: Nino Niederreiter?

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Great fit indeed and if Horton is to be let go at the end of the year I could even see him moving into the top 6 taking his place

Rumors are the Isles will not deal him and I don't blame them. Asking price would be a lot and i'm not sure Chia would be willing to pay that

Peverly and a pick? I don't think so we need Pevs for the playoffs.

Give them a second round pick and a mid-level prospect the guy has asked out and has 1 goal in 55 games with the Isles. I'm not saying he is bad I'm just saying the B's should lowball for him given the situation.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Hickey was 4th no guarantee (and I liked Hickey more than Nino coming out) their are warts on Nino sounds like

Hockey was a huge reach at #4. A better comparison is Hamil.

That said I like what I saw of Niño at the WJC and 4 or 5 times I saw him in the WHL.

I think the Islanders rushed him but him producing in the AHL makes me think a limited 3rd line role with some PP time ie Bourques spot would be perfect. I'm not a Bourque hater but if you can get Niño for any prospects not named Spooner Koko and Hamilton. I do it ....

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Someone will pay. The guy's a former 5th overall. He's not a sure thing but he's still a top 20 scorer in the AHL at 20yo. I don't think we could add him for something less than our 2 best prospects not playing in Boston. Even then, that offer will probably be beaten fairly easily by other teams imo.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Hockey was a huge reach at #4. A better comparison is Hamil.

That said I like what I saw of Niño at the WJC and 4 or 5 times I saw him in the WHL.

I think the Islanders rushed him but him producing in the AHL makes me think a limited 3rd line role with some PP time ie Bourques spot would be perfect. I'm not a Bourque hater but if you can get Niño for any prospects not named Spooner Koko and Hamilton. I do it ....

You can't, but lets not forget that Niederreiter is 8 months YOUNGER than Ryan Spooner, and is having a better season in the AHL, and only a year older than Koko, who is probably still 2 years away from seeing NHL action.

He's a LW with size and skill. Fits an organizational need for sure. I'd love to be able to say that we could do it for Caron, Krug, and a 1st, but chances are that's not happening.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Hasn't done a thing in the NHL, before the age of 20, playing with Pandolfo and Wallace on the Islanders 4th line.

Going into his age 22 season, Brad Marchand still hadn't scored an NHL goal.

Yep, and the Bruins probably couldn't have gotten much for him at the time either.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Yep, and the Bruins probably couldn't have gotten much for him at the time either.

Marchand was what, a 3rd rounder? Niederreiter is a top 5 3 years ago who has produced at every level that he should have been at.

He's not returning a top 5 pick, but someone's going to pony up something, and they should. I'd call this a nice buy low opportunity.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Marchand was what, a 3rd rounder? Niederreiter is a top 5 3 years ago who has produced at every level that he should have been at.

He's not returning a top 5 pick, but someone's going to pony up something, and they should. I'd call this a nice buy low opportunity.

Except the NHL, Marchand has out-produced Nino at every level. JR, AHL and NHL.

No one is breaking down the door for the guy.

Maybe Caron straight up, but no way would you add a first to that.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

I agree if you go back I got scoffed at for starting with Subban Knight and Caron. If they want picks or other prospects so be it. But I start with that offer

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Except the NHL, Marchand has out-produced Nino at every level. JR, AHL and NHL.

No one is breaking down the door for the guy.

Maybe Caron straight up, but no way would you add a first to that.

Nino's age 20 AHL season has been better than Marchand's by quite a bit if you factor that goals are more valuable than assists. Neiderreiter has 19-17-36 in 41 games, Marchand had 18-41-59 in 79 games. A goal every other game in the AHL at age 20? yes, teams will break the door down for the guy.

And that 1st is looking like a laaaate 1st. So we're talking what, Caron and Colborne? Caron and Subban? Caron and Caron?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nino's age 20 AHL season has been better than Marchand's by quite a bit if you factor that goals are more valuable than assists. Neiderreiter has 19-17-36 in 41 games, Marchand had 18-41-59 in 79 games. A goal every other game in the AHL at age 20? yes, teams will break the door down for the guy.

And that 1st is looking like a laaaate 1st. So we're talking what, Caron and Colborne? Caron and Subban? Caron and Caron?

The guys at the bottom of round 1 this year are eqivilent to somewhere around 13-20 in a normal draft I'm told...Talent level is big time this year.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

So you're trading Caron and a first AND something else(Krug) for someone you're hoping will be better than Caron to play on LW on the 3rd line?

What has he done to warrant that type of return?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

:dunno:What?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Isles would want Spooner and a 2nd minimum I would think.... Maybe Spooner and Knight. There is more than meets the eye here with Nino. I would stay away.

If this were happening with an organization with a track record of success, I'd be somewhat inclined to agree.

Interesting what you said below about this season's draft. Although part of me wonders if the late 1st round is a blind spot for this current front office group. If you look at 2007 as a weak draft where anything past say 5-6 was like 15-20, and 2008-2012 were normal drafts. Their mid level 1st rounders are:

Hamill, Colborne, Caron, Subban, and even Knight since that was basically a late 1st rounder.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I like Nino but Caron and MAYBE Krug at the very most....Caron is going stale here and Krug is going to be pretty good unless he Hunwick's on us.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
So you're trading Caron and a first AND something else(Krug) for someone you're hoping will be better than Caron to play on LW on the 3rd line?

nearly 20 goals in half a season in the AHL at age 20. Really the only thing he hasn't done to warrant that return was overcome the Islanders stupidity of putting him in a checking line role at age 19 with Pandolfo and Wallace.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

You're gambling a bit for sure, but if you make that trade, then you're hoping he ends up being much more than a third line player. His ceiling is much higher than Caron's.

At this point, do you believe that Caron can be a 30+ goal guy in the NHL? I would say no, but I don't know what the Bruins think, and you might like him as a player very much.

I don't know much about Nino, but I think he still projects as at least a top 6 forward, maybe a top 3, and a guy who can net you 30+ a season.

If the Bruins believe that he is that guy, and if he is actually available, then you would have to jump at trading a potential 3rd-4th line forward and change for someone who could be an impact player.

Again, I'm not saying that he is that guy, but I'm just trying to get into the possible thinking of a team that might be looking at him if he were up for grabs.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
nearly 20 goals in half a season in the AHL at age 20. Really the only thing he hasn't done to warrant that return was overcome the Islanders stupidity of putting him in a checking line role at age 19 with Pandolfo and Wallace.

Players breaking into the NHL are usually placed on lines like that, the Bruins do it with every rookie that plays for them. This is nothing new, if he was to come to Boston he would likely end up on a line like that.

You're really giving up a lot of quality assets for this player, when you could use those for immediate help elsewhere.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Players breaking into the NHL are usually placed on lines like that, the Bruins do it with every rookie that plays for them. This is nothing new, if he was to come to Boston he would likely end up on a line like that.

You're really giving up a lot of quality assets for this player, when you could use those for immediate help elsewhere.

At age 19, and then judged on their ultimate production there and/or lack thereof? I'd say no.

Perhaps a 1st was a little much, but I'm willing to gamble on upside here and I think Nino has it. Right now I tend to value Spooner and Koko as higher than that late 1st.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Valid points: I guess I'm thinking about what I saw of him (Nino) last year, even in the preseason games that he played against the B's he seemed to be a standout IMHO.
I really think that he can develop into a player for the B's. I don't have time to look it up now but I'll bet that he has a cap friendly contract too. If we gave up for example Caron and Krug for "immediate help elsewhere" we don't know if that help would cost way more either.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
You're gambling a bit for sure, but if you make that trade, then you're hoping he ends up being much more than a third line player. His ceiling is much higher than Caron's.

At this point, do you believe that Caron can be a 30+ goal guy in the NHL? I would say no, but I don't know what the Bruins think, and you might like him as a player very much.

I don't know much about Nino, but I think he still projects as at least a top 6 forward, maybe a top 3, and a guy who can net you 30+ a season.

If the Bruins believe that he is that guy, and if he is actually available, then you would have to jump at trading a potential 3rd-4th line forward and change for someone who could be an impact player.

Again, I'm not saying that he is that guy, but I'm just trying to get into the possible thinking of a team that might be looking at him if he were up for grabs.

It's not and change though, it's a first rounder and a D prospect and another person offered up that and last year's first rounder too.

That's a long way from change. For what you would call a gamble.

You think Nino scores 30 in the NHL? I don't, not on the Bruins, the Bruins have had 2 30 goal scorers since CJ started coaching(Lucic and Kessel) is he as good as those guys? Can he score a lot of goals with relatively limited minutes?

He would be on the 3rd line at best on this team. Is he going to score a pile from there? Doubt it, 20 would be a stretch and likely closer to 10-15.

I'm not even a Caron fan and would trade for Nino, but I'm in no way offering up a 1st and some more with Caron for him.

BudMovin*

Isn't his gripe with the lack of playing time he is getting? You think he would get more time here than on the Islanders?

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Isn't his gripe with the lack of playing time he is getting? You think he would get more time here than on the Islanders?

He didn't get the chance to compete for an NHL job this year was his gripe. He's playing plenty in the AHL.

My guess is that they'd insert him in Bourque's spot immediately, so it's not as though the same would apply here, and his skillset (bigger bodied wing) would fit in well with Kelly and Pevs.

While Caron/Krug/1st might have been an overstatement on my part, the Bruins likely aren't going to get a chance to add top 5 talent very many more times in the near future, and I think they have the organizational depth to give up quantity for upside.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
It's not and change though, it's a first rounder and a D prospect and another person offered up that and last year's first rounder too.

That's a long way from change. For what you would call a gamble.

You think Nino scores 30 in the NHL? I don't, not on the Bruins, the Bruins have had 2 30 goal scorers since CJ started coaching(Lucic and Kessel) is he as good as those guys? Can he score a lot of goals with relatively limited minutes?

He would be on the 3rd line at best on this team. Is he going to score a pile from there? Doubt it, 20 would be a stretch and likely closer to 10-15.

I'm not even a Caron fan and would trade for Nino, but I'm in no way offering up a 1st and some more with Caron for him.

Like I said, if the Bruins think that he could be a 30+ goal guy, then you do the deal. I don't know enough about him to tell you one way or another. I also don't know what the Bruins think about him. But if you think you are getting a top-line, goal scoring winger, then it's a no brainer, and I don't mind giving up Caron and a late first to do it. However, if he is a 15-20 goal guy maximum, as you believe he is, then you don't do the deal. It wouldn't be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: