Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist Requests Trade

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It was probably something like Buch or Kreider and I’m happy they chose Kreider, really. Nothing against Buch. I hope that once things settle down for Kravtsov he can develop into a Buch type player. I know that sounds far-fetched now but they’re actually pretty similar in terms of skill-set. And Buch went through growing pains too. Not to the degree VK has, but I hope we can take a long view with VK.
Thats what I'm saying tho it wasn't ck or buch. Buchs current cap hit was more than covered by Reaves, goodrow, nemeth, carpenter and i even forgot blais.

It's like when we blew off stralman and his cap was directly taken up by Boyle. People framed it as Girardi or strawman But it was really

G + stralman. Or g+Boyle.

Similarly here it could be
Ck + buch

Or

Ck + goodrow, Reaves, nemeth, blais,, carp.

Shoot I'm pretty sure we could've even grabbed Reaves to go w ck and buch.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't even really think there was a "decision" to be made.

The guy got sent down after looking pretty blah, and the reports were it was at that time he asked for a trade. He then doubled down on that in the off-season by saying he wouldn't report to camp, and still wanted a trade.

What's the decision to be made? The guy wanted out. You don't move out Schneider to create a spot for a guy who has asked for a trade. That's not a realistic scenario.

Lundkvist is gone because of Lundkvist. Literally nothing else to it.

I don't particularly care at this point, we got a good return, but it's funny because almost like with Kravtsov, I do believe he would have been given a shot this season sooner rather than later. The team has shown a willingness to sit Jones, I don't think they're totally committed to him or anything. If Lundkvist looked good in preseason he may have found a spot for himself, even on his off side or whatever. I get it though, he wanted a guarantee that we just couldn't (and shouldn't) have given him.

Good luck to him I guess.

Agree with this mostly. He lost the bottom pairing RD job to Schneider last year and really didn’t have a path to the Rangers this year. Schneider was with us from mid season all the way through the playoffs and playoffs are like the grail for a young D. That’s just too valuable of an experience and I think Nils saw the writing on the wall for this year and didn’t want to spend it in Hartford. I don’t blame him for that. The other thing is his game like Jones very much revolves around offensive opportunity and Fox squeezes the life out of that.

What I don’t see and this includes Schneider and Jones is a 21/22/23 year old D with not all that much NHL experience playing his weak side. All these guys really have issues enough just defending on their strong sides. Maybe Miller could get away with it but IMO he’d be a lesser player for it too. Speaking of which this is why Jones over Nils. There was an opening on the LD. Essentially there’s not a lot of difference for me between Nils and Zac apart from one’s an LD and the other is an RD.

Also I liked the return.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Thats what I'm saying tho it wasn't ck or buch. Buchs current cap hit was more than covered by Reaves, goodrow, nemeth, carpenter and i even forgot blais.

It's like when we blew off stralman and his cap was directly taken up by Boyle. People framed it as Girardi or strawman But it was really

G + stralman. Or g+Boyle.

Similarly here it could be
Ck + buch

Or

Ck + goodrow, Reaves, nemeth, blais,, carp.

Shoot I'm pretty sure we could've even grabbed Reaves to go w ck and buch.
Thats a lot of roster spots to cover with just Buch. Its possible but I hope nobody gets hurt especially at center. Reeves helped transform this team last season. The prior season people felt we were the softest team around. Trouba and lots of other guys played taller knowing they wouldn't have to take on other teams monsters. Wilson did nothing to us.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I’m happy with the first rounder we got in return but I can’t help but notice how much Nils is not sucking in Dallas like a few posters on here said he did.
The view is always different when the player isn't under the microscope.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For us Nils was most likely an excess player this year. In his D+5 year. This should be a big draft year and here is a chance to maybe get a center (depending on how well Dallas does this year the potential is a much higher pick than Nils) who could easily be top 6 for us in the future + another 4th/3rd.....going forward with our RD already set.

I get why Dallas wanted Nils for sure but they paid a good price for him.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’m happy with the first rounder we got in return but I can’t help but notice how much Nils is not sucking in Dallas like a few posters on here said he did.

He's not sucking, but Trouba and Fox were (are) ahead of him on the depth chart and there wasn't a spot for him. He's not a 3rd pair D. The Rangers moved him for that reason.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Thats a lot of roster spots to cover with just Buch. Its possible but I hope nobody gets hurt especially at center. Reeves helped transform this team last season. The prior season people felt we were the softest team around. Trouba and lots of other guys played taller knowing they wouldn't have to take on other teams monsters. Wilson did nothing to us.
That was the other thing I said, we likely suffer last year and this one in terms of low end depth but we are still coming out of a rebuild so it makes sense to have a few holes still. What make it worse is we paid all this cap and sacrificed buch yet our low end depth is still dog shit. More bodies, total shit.

And I think we could've kept ck, buch and still gotten Reaves. We're still pretty soft and easy 5 v 5.

So we just flat f***ed up

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That was the other thing I said, we likely suffer last year and this one in terms of low end depth but we are still coming out of a rebuild so it makes sense to have a few holes still. What make it worse is we paid all this cap and sacrificed buch yet our low end depth is still dog shit. More bodies, total shit.

And I think we could've kept ck, buch and still gotten Reaves. We're still pretty soft and easy 5 v 5.

We could not have kept Buchnevich. Look at our cap, look at his contract, and the reason the Rangers were dealing from a position of weakness is the worst kept secret in the league. The problem wasn't dealing Buch, the problem was the return and its timing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

But when you say holes don't we need 24 actual skaters plus goalies signed for the roster? If we did without 4-5 players for 1 how are you going to fill those last spots?

Reactions: bhamill

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
We could not have kept Buchnevich. Look at our cap, look at his contract, and the reason the Rangers were dealing from a position of weakness is the worst kept secret in the league. The problem wasn't dealing Buch, the problem was the return and its timing.
I'm doing the math and he literally does fit now and last szn if we don't take the names I keep mentioning.
3.6 Goodrow
2.5 Nemeth
1.75 Reaves
1.5 Blais
Thats 9.45 M
Buch makes 5.8

How does it not fit last szn? Dont bring in Goodrow, nemeth, blais. Could still fit Reaves and Buch.

Trade away geo and you can still have goodrow too.

Which, if the org believes in goodrow for the next 4 or 5 szns then you gladly sacrifice backup G for a szn in order to lock him in.

But when you say holes don't we need 24 actual skaters plus goalies signed for the roster? If we did without 4-5 players for 1 how are you going to fill those last spots?
Min contracts instead of nemeth, goodrow, Reaves. Instead of blais we have buch so that body is covered.

Edit: Oh yea we didnt need to have geo either last szn. 2.5 M there, too. So that's another 2.5 M available for 2 or 3 players to fill the roster. It was VERY doable. And should've been done. The franchise has struggled for decades with long term planning

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm doing the math and he literally does fit now and last szn if we don't take the names I keep mentioning.

Min contracts instead of nemeth, goodrow, Reaves. Instead of blais we have buch so that body is covered.
Nemeth isnt on our cap this season. Minimum contracts (750k) still count against the cap don't they? We had that team without Reeves but with Buch. We were considered the softest team in the league to the point that it became a joke. If you have Buch who is playing on the 3rd line? Laf or Kakko? Who are your 5 centers? Cant just have 4. Injuries happen. Who are all these guys you are signing for the minimum? Don't forget we also have 3.5 mill in dead cap. I'm not against trying to fit Buch in there but it will not be easy and I think starting with Reeves and Goodrow is a no go unless Buch is going to take on guys like Wilson and keep him honest and possibly play center.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Nemeth isnt on our cap this season.
You made a slight mistake. In what you quoted I said

"does fit now and last szn"

Nemeth is covered by the last szn portion of that.
Minimum contracts (750k) still count against the cap don't they?
Huh? Who said they dont? Im saying we had room for min contracts along with buch.

We had that team without Reeves but with Buch. We were considered the softest team in the league to the point that it became a joke.
Idk if you missed it, I mightve edited it in late but if you look at the math we couldve fit reaves and buch. Or Goodrow and Buch. I also said a out 5 times that you might have to suffer a little last szn for the sake of long term planning.
If you have Buch who is playing on the 3rd line?
bt zib, ck, panarin, laf, kakko, chytil, you role 3 great lines 5 v 5. This is not even a concern.
Who are your 5 centers? Cant just have 4.
That's where the min contracts come in. What quality 4th line are we missing out on by having some random min contract centers fight for the 4th c spot?

I pointed out if you trade Geo last szn you couldve actually still gotten goodrow and kept buch.

The idea is to plan long term, I've said this same thing I think 5 times now. You suffer a little last szn still. But you plan long term.
Injuries happen.
Im not an idiot I know this lol
Who are all these guys you are signing for the minimum?
Idk go back and look at the FA market last szn, this team signs ryan carpenters every season. Every szn there are min contract C's signed.
Don't forget we also have 3.5 mill in dead cap.
That helps my argument that you suffer for a bit last szn and possibly this szn, bc next szn you get a huge injection of cap.
I'm not against trying to fit Buch in there but it will not be easy

It is tho I did the math on it. His contract was 5.8

Reaves, Nemeth, Goodrow, Blais were 9.5.

Add in Geo and that's 12.

Instead of Buch, a PPG player with a ton of prime years ahead, we opted to use that 12 M on a single szn of Geo, Nemeth's corpse, Blais who ended up hurt and isnt that good, Reaves who possibly helped us get tougher but sucks on the ice and Goodrow, who's good but has a very worrying contract.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
He was the first X ranger that hasn’t scored on us in a long time.

I think it’s okay for both teams to win a trade. He didn’t want to be here and we were able to get a first rounder in a deep draft for him. He apparently is playing well for Dallas. Win win for both teams

Reactions: bhamill

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You made a slight mistake. In what you quoted I said

"does fit now and last szn"

Nemeth is covered by the last szn portion of that.

Huh? Who said they dont? Im saying we had room for min contracts along with buch.

Idk if you missed it, I mightve edited it in late but if you look at the math we couldve fit reaves and buch. Or Goodrow and Buch. I also said a out 5 times that you might have to suffer a little last szn for the sake of long term planning.

bt zib, ck, panarin, laf, kakko, chytil, you role 3 great lines 5 v 5. This is not even a concern.

That's where the min contracts come in. What quality 4th line are we missing out on by having some random min contract centers fight for the 4th c spot?

I pointed out if you trade Geo last szn you couldve actually still gotten goodrow and kept buch.

The idea is to plan long term, I've said this same thing I think 5 times now. You suffer a little last szn still. But you plan long term.

Im not an idiot I know this lol

Idk go back and look at the FA market last szn, this team signs ryan carpenters every season. Every szn there are min contract C's signed.

That helps my argument that you suffer for a bit last szn and possibly this szn, bc next szn you get a huge injection of cap.

It is tho I did the math on it. His contract was 5.8

Reaves, Nemeth, Goodrow, Blais were 9.5.

Add in Geo and that's 12.

Instead of Buch, a PPG player with a ton of prime years ahead, we opted to use that 12 M on a single szn of Geo, Nemeth's corpse, Blais who ended up hurt and isnt that good, Reaves who possibly helped us get tougher but sucks on the ice and Goodrow, who's good but has a very worrying contract.
I'm not going to follow the post trail on all of this, but going back several years, it was always pretty clear that it was going to be Buchnevich or Kreider that was signed long-term, but not both. When Kreider signed, 90% of this board saw the writing on the wall and correctly predicted Buchnevich would be traded. It wasn't practical to keep them both long term, particularly with Kakko, Lafreniere, and Kravtsov in the picture. Then you also had to lock up other pieces, in a multi-season flat-cap world. It just wasn't going to happen. People still complain about the young players not getting opportunities and it would have been even worse for them if we kept Buchnevich and Kreider both.

You can absolutely come up with scenarios where we kept both Buchnevich and Kreider, but none of them are particularly realistic, which is why everyone knew (including the other GM's) that we basically had to trade Buchnevich. The only other "realistic" option was to self-rent Buchnevich for last season, and then let him walk.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
It wasn't practical to keep them both long term, particularly with Kakko, Lafreniere, and Kravtsov in the picture.
It def works cap wise. No one ever shouldve been worrying about VK
Then you also had to lock up other pieces, in a multi-season flat-cap world.
The only difference would be blais, nemeth, and then choose one of goodrow or reaves to not bring in.

Blais and nemeth were a net negative last szn. One of Reaves or Goodrow isreasonable to not bring in.
It just wasn't going to happen.
People still complain about the young players not getting opportunities and it would have been even worse for them if we kept Buchnevich and Kreider both.
The franchise def decided this. Based on what they chose instead this has always seemed like a wall they unnecessarily decided they were backed up against. I wouldnt make decisions based on what HF posters might complain about
You can absolutely come up with scenarios where we kept both Buchnevich and Kreider, but none of them are particularly realistic,
It realistically works cap wise without a problem.

No one is showing how there was definitely no room cap wise but then I went and did the math on it and it works. It would've worked easily. It would still be working easily. The team wasnt willing to take a little bit of a hit last szn and this one. It was a poor decision

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It def works cap wise. No one ever shouldve been worrying about VK

The only difference would be blais, nemeth, and then choose one of goodrow or reaves to not bring in.

Blais and nemeth were a net negative last szn. One of Reaves or Goodrow isreasonable to not bring in.

The franchise def decided this. Based on what they chose instead this has always seemed like a wall they unnecessarily decided they were backed up against. I wouldnt make decisions based on what HF posters might complain about

It realistically works cap wise without a problem.

No one is showing how there was definitely no room cap wise but then I went and did the math on it and it works. It would've worked easily. It would still be working easily. The team wasnt willing to take a little bit of a hit last szn and this one. It was a poor decision
OK well congratulations on being smarter than everyone.

People did the math and gamed it all out hundreds of times before, during, and after the trade. No one really wants to do it again.

Reactions: Barnaby

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
People did the math and gamed it all out hundreds of times before, during, and after the trade. No one really wants to do it again.
If im misding something then show me instead of getting pissed at me over literally nothing. No one has to do anything again. I already did it above. You ignored it and caught an attitude w me for no reason

Add blais, Reaves, goodrow, nemeth. Can even add in geo What do u get?

What is buch?

If your opinion is that they did what they did, cool.

If youre going to definitively assert it couldnt have worked bc of the cap, then im going to show why that's wrong

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If im misding something then show me instead of getting pissed at me over literally nothing. No one has to do anything again. I already did it above. You ignored it and caught an attitude w me for no reason

Add blais, Reaves, goodrow, nemeth. Can even add in geo What do u get?

What is buch?

If your opinion is that they did what they did, cool.

If youre going to definitively assert it couldnt have worked bc of the cap, then im going to show why that's wrong
I think we'd be even more top heavy than our current lineup. Goodrow, Reaves, and Blais each have their uses.

We had Zib, Panarin, Kreider, Strome, Laf, Kakko, and Chytil as our main offensive "potential" if you only count forwards. But we also have Fox who is a huge contributor and some occasional quality offensive plays from Miller too.

With that personnel on hand, do you spend the rest of your cap space to get more goals, or do you spend that cap to fill out the bottom pair, get some shot blockers and PK'ers, and an enforcer?

If you looked at the prior season under DQ, frankly, it's not really a mystery why they spent their cap space on pieces other than Buch, as much as I loved him. The Wilson incident sort of messed up Panarin's game for the entire following season other than his PP performance, and only now with a full healthy offseason later is he playing at the same level as his first season with the team. As a result, we were a little thin on 5v5 offense until the TDL since so much cap is tied to him.

But that incident wasn't the only game where they looked soft. I don't know if Buch is worth it when you have a 1st and 2nd overall on the team who you'd want to get top 6 minutes.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I think we'd be even more top heavy than our current lineup. Goodrow, Reaves, and Blais each have their uses.

We had Zib, Panarin, Kreider, Strome, Laf, Kakko, and Chytil as our main offensive "potential" if you only count forwards. But we also have Fox who is a huge contributor and some occasional quality offensive plays from Miller too.

With that personnel on hand, do you spend the rest of your cap space to get more goals, or do you spend that cap to fill out the bottom pair, get some shot blockers and PK'ers, and an enforcer?

If you looked at the prior season under DQ, frankly, it's not really a mystery why they spent their cap space on pieces other than Buch, as much as I loved him. The Wilson incident sort of messed up Panarin's game for the entire following season other than his PP performance, and only now with a full healthy offseason later is he playing at the same level as his first season with the team. As a result, we were a little thin on 5v5 offense until the TDL since so much cap is tied to him.

But that incident wasn't the only game where they looked soft. I don't know if Buch is worth it when you have a 1st and 2nd overall on the team who you'd want to get top 6 minutes.
O i get that, i answered this a few times. I keep saying u might have had to suffer through one more rough szn or two is all. Which wouldve been last year and may e this one. Buy i say might have bc we could've still had Reaves or goodrow with buch. So I don't see where we'd have such a huge hole if we'd kept buch compared to what we have now. Either way, we have that cap space eaten up next szn too.

The other guy got all pissed at me, I hope this doesnt come off as me being nasty I'm just discussing this is all

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
O i get that, i answered this a few times. I keep saying u might have had to suffer through one more rough szn or two is all. Which wouldve been last year and may e this one. Buy i say might have bc we could've still had Reaves or goodrow with buch. So I don't see where we'd have such a huge hole if we'd kept buch compared to what we have now. Either way, we have that cap space eaten up next szn too.

The other guy got all pissed at me, I hope this doesnt come off as me being nasty I'm just discussing this is all
I'm not pissed, it's just frustrating when someone rolls in and wants to rehash a discussion that this board has had countless times. Like I get you just signed up and want to talk about it, but you also have to understand that it was a situation that was literally beaten to death and then some when it went down. That's all fine though, if you want to go through it again and people want to engage on it again that's fine, I am not the arbiter of what is and isn't worthy of being discussed (anymore, LOL).

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm not pissed, it's just frustrating when someone rolls in and wants to rehash a discussion that this board has had countless times. Like I get you just signed up and want to talk about it, but you also have to understand that it was a situation that was literally beaten to death and then some when it went down. That's all fine though, if you want to go through it again and people want to engage on it again that's fine, I am not the arbiter of what is and isn't worthy of being discussed (anymore, LOL).
And maybe next we can discuss why we should have kept Fast. Again.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
3.6 Goodrow
2.5 Nemeth
1.75 Reaves
1.5 Blais
Thats 9.45 M
Buch makes 5.8

How does it not fit last szn? Dont bring in Goodrow, nemeth, blais. Could still fit Reaves and Buch.

Show me the roster you're fielding last year keeping Buchnevich. More importantly (and why he was traded) show me the roster this year with Buch earning 5.8. Show me it next year, when it's even worse, with Buch.

The math doesn't work. Please don't forget the buyouts when you're figuring this stuff out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad