Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist Requests Trade

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
There has to be something rotten in our post-draft development "system."
Yeah, it sucks.

the Hartford organization is just a miserable place to be
It is.

All joking aside, it is nice to see the FO hiring some scouts and development coaches, but they gotta put some money into Hartford. If they arent going to move the team they need to pump it up seriously.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What did the organization expect?

Should have used him at the deadline last season.
I agree. We should have used Jones and Nils more. To A) see if they were capable and B) bump up the trade value a bit. Neither got a fair shot especially Jones since I think he is very capable of playing at this level (iQ skating ability etc)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Lundkvist got beat out by Schneider and sees there's no spot for him. Team did nothing wrong here imo
There's no way that's the whole story. Injuries happen, and Schneider's spot should in no way be guaranteed. There's also room on his off-side.

I've had suspicions for a while that it's Hartford. Either the town itself, or the organization. Overseas players simply won't stay there and develop for more than a season. When is the last time we had a Euro player stay for more than a year? I just don't think other teams have this kind of problem. Detroit used to be infamous for letting their prospects cook, and LA has a billion C prospects in Ontario (California). Haven't heard of any of them asking out.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What is more alarming, the organization has repeated the same mistake over and over again. TDA, Kravtsov, you could argue Georgiev although Drury made out like a bandit in that trade... Just poor asset managment.

On the other hand, the team and Kravtsov have reconciled so maybe that can happen with Lundkvist as well? If he wants to rather play in Sweden than Hartford this year, let him.
What is the mistake the team made? He got beat out by a more NHL ready player. Its not like he was great here or even in the AHL.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
They really need to get something of value for Nils.

He was a significant part of why the Rangers jumped so high in the prospect rankings in years past. It was a good draft year, he's a first rounder and he played above his selection in redrafts.

We knew that which such a rich pool of NHL potential, not everyone would stick around - but its all about timing. We've been talking about including him in deals for months, if not over a year.

Is finding a suitor the problem? Has Drury already gone down this road but unable to find a deal that included fair value coming back? I find it hard to believe teams aren't interested in a right handed defenseman with a shot like his. He has PP1 written all over him. It wont be the end of the world, but it will be a punch in the gut if they can't target and land a position of need (CENTER) for him.

Nils is probably 1-3 on a majority of teams prospect lists. Prices would be pretty damn high if we inquired about any other teams top prospects of his pedigree

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pajuniemi and Reunanen are two very recent examples of guys who played in Europe and have/will spend multiple seasons in Hartford.

Kravtsov was playing well in the KHL. He didn't want to play in the AHL. It didn't matter that it was Hartford--he wanted to play on the NHL and thought he deserved to be there. Andersson also thought he deserved a bigger role, in the NHL. We heard that repeatedly. That's not about Hartford. That's about two guys who think they should have a spot that the team doesn't think they've earned.

Lundkvist is on the same boat. The difference with him is that he's completely blocked. Or, he's blocked enough that he doesn't want to have to put in the effort to break through. That's fine, I understand he wants an easier road. That, also, is not Hartford.

Just blaming it on Hartford sucking is an easy excuse, but it's not a valid one, IMO. As I said in the other thread, the team has no problem getting veteran AHL players who know all about Hartford to sign there. If you think Hartford sucks, you might not be familiar the many other AHL cities.

If what Brooks is saying is true about him not even reporting to camp, toll his f***ing contract if you can't get a decent player back. So sick of this shit.
Yeah that would be the part that bothers me. I don't care if he wants a trade, I get that. But you still need to show up and play. If you want the team to act in good faith by exploring a trade, you need to act in good faith by showing up and helping maintain your value.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Really wish the Rangers last year were able to get Fox some more rest. After Jan/Feb, you could see he was banged up and in hindsight, a few games here and there most likely wouldn't of mattered.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Rangers handed him a spot last season and he struggled and was justifiably sent to the AHL

He looks now and sees a Top 5 defenseman in the league and the teams captain ahead of him on the right side with no chance of manning a PP unit here with Fox, Trouba and K’Andre in the fold.

This is wholly different from Lias and Kravy to me. This is Nils seeing his road to the NHL being blocked and wanting to be moved somewhere with more opportunity. Simple as that.

From the teams perspective, injuries could change things always but with a healthy roster Nils is expendable and his play last season didn’t really force the issue. Then Schneider stepped in and played well. Nils could end up being the better player but looking at the situation right now it’s not surprising he would want a trade and the org would accommodate it. It is what it is.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The left side is Jones' to lose at this point. He was better than Lundkvist last year and he gives the team an even left-right split. With Hajek, who is also young, as the 7th and probably Tinordi as the 8th. That is a fine D to go into the season.

While people may want a prospect back, and that may be right and what happens, I wonder if a pick would be a smarter choice. It would be a younger player that could be in the system for a longer period of time and come in on an ELC down the road a bit instead of just being another log-jammed, one year left on their ELC, early 20s player that will probably want a trade next year. Haha

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Yeah that would be the part that bothers me. I don't care if he wants a trade, I get that. But you still need to show up and play. If you want the team to act in good faith by exploring a trade, you need to act in good faith by showing up and helping maintain your value.
I think prospects are being told to negotiate this way from their advisors/agents, as it achieves two things (once public): inevitable trade and better landing spot.

IMO, if I were a prospect living in Sweden and developing in the SEL, only reason I'd come to NA is for NHL only. While the AHL is important, the SEL or Finnish Liiga (and to some extent KHL) is equal quality so it's an easy "hold out spot"

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Well that is extremely disappointing, not that he is going to get traded, but the fact we are going to likely get well under his value because Drury didn’t recognize sooner that there was no spot for him on the team. 50% of our proposals included him because we knew he was a good prospect, but we really didnt have room for him with so many good young players ahead of him. He had good value, not as much now that GMs know we are panicking to trade him.

Also, lets not assume it’s true too fast. Remember Brooks said we signed Vesey? Someone may be feeding Brooks fake news lately.

I'm not sure why you keep saying there's no spot for him...?

The bottom pairing was a problem last year and i wouldn't have anyone penciled into those spots yet, even Schneider.

Lindgren is also always injured and I'm not sure he will be a Ranger long term.

Reactions: mas0764

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lundkvist was not good despite being outplayed by Jones in camp and gifted a spot in the lineup for 3 months. If they cant trade him and he doesnt report to camp they should let him sit at home until he smartens up. Theres a spot for him to win on his off-side, but I guess he wants it on his terms? Im really tired of these entitled prospects.

Also, people saying Schneider has to earn a spot when he played in every single playoff game on a deep run into the ECF. Come on. He's a mortal lock for the 3rd pair and was better in every facet than Jones/Nils in their time last year.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Tired of these players requesting a trade if things don't go their way

I completely understand looking out for #1, especially when there are potentially tens of millions of dollars on the line in an NHL career that is far beyond anything he could earn even as a star in Sweden.

What I don't get and why I agree as usual with 2k2 is the 'not reporting' element. I don't think that helps him. It would be a much harder path for him to return to the NHL and get significant money if he fled back to Sweden for two more years.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Greg02

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
No issue with him requesting a trade. Big issue with him threatening to not report to camp. Also, sounds like this was all being handled quietly behind closed doors—until Brooks reported it. Wonder who leaked it. This going public doesn’t help the Rangers.

Lundkvist got outplayed by Jones and Schneider last year. This is largely a problem of his own doing. Maybe the Rangers could have traded him sooner, but I don’t know what offers were out there last year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dallas is the best fit. They have all of those young forwards. The Rangers probably could have traded Lundkvist to Montreal for Lehkonen but the Rangers could not afford Lehkonen’s new contract. $4.5M. Gorton has Bobrov running the Habs scouting department. What did Bobrov tell these guys? Andersson had the superiority complex. Kravstov has his issues. Lundkvist. Did they promise them they were going straight into the NHL? Brannstrom was traded to Ottawa in the Stone deal. The Rangers could have made that type of trade but they don’t have space to pay the player. Claude leaked this story to Brooks. They know each other from the Devils days. We used read about Lundkvist not signing with the Rangers. We used to get mad at Brooks. Claude was telling him. Does Montreal want Lundkvist? It’s September 1. Claude leaks the story to Brooks to pressure Drury. Very nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00