Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist Requests Trade

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
OK well congratulations on being smarter than everyone.

People did the math and gamed it all out hundreds of times before, during, and after the trade. No one really wants to do it again.
We basically have no room right now. Maybe if we were allowed to only keep 21-22 players on the roster and never had anyone get injured. Dont know why he keeps mentioning Nemeth who is not on our cap this season.
Lets see Reeves, Goodrow, and Sammy out is 6.8 mill and 3 players out.
Buch in is 5.8 mill and 1 player in.
So that leaves us 1 mill to sign 2 minimum players (not possible) and we would be the same tissue soft team we were in 2021 with Buch.
Would be cool to have Buch but everyone could complain that Laf or Kakko will never be allowed to play on the first 2 lines lol :)

Reactions: egelband

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Show me the roster you're fielding last year keeping Buchnevich. More importantly (and why he was traded) show me the roster this year with Buch earning 5.8. Show me it next year, when it's even worse, with Buch.

The math doesn't work. Please don't forget the buyouts when you're figuring this stuff out.
What doesn't work? You quoted a post where the math works. You've seen other posts where I also point out we could've traded away geo (to take on a min backup g...shot you could trade for one with money retained so the backup is making around min. You could also trade for f or d with money retained. Maybe use the 2nd we threw away to dump nemeth)

And even if u don't trade for a retained contract, buch is 5.8.

The other guys were 9.4

9.4 -5.8= enough room for three or 4 min contracts.

So how does it not work?

I'm not pissed, it's just frustrating when someone rolls in and wants to rehash a discussion that this board has had countless times. Like I get you just signed up and want to talk about it, but you also have to understand that it was a situation that was literally beaten to death and then some when it went down. That's all fine though, if you want to go through it again and people want to engage on it again that's fine, I am not the arbiter of what is and isn't worthy of being discussed (anymore, LOL).

This quote coming up isnt mine.

" It is not impossible but its hard to see how we could have another almost $6 mill contract on the wing. If Buch was a center that would have worked but on the wing with Bread (11mil), Kreider(6.5 mill), Laf and Kakko on the wings I do not know that we would have the cap room."

I didn't start it. I responded to it. U said it was me being "smarter than every1." Now ur telling me you were just holding me accountable bc some1 else resurrected a supposedly dead topic. Either way, im not saying its a crisis but it's a little shitty.

If I did ressurect it or if I was nasty then I owe an apology but I don't think I did anything wrong here

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Dont know why he keeps mentioning Nemeth who is not on our cap this season.

Wed have buch on the team last szn. Youd have to account for that contract.

So we could have not brought in nemeth as part of keeping buch last szn. You'd also still have that 2nd round asset we pissed away on nemeth. A 2nd round asset we couldve used to bring in a low end retained contract to make cap this szn. (Or, if that was the pick we got w blais then consider the possibility we don't trade for Reaves, so we might have that 3rd rounder to use.or maybe we don't get vatrano or copp or Braun. So we have THOSE assets to use.)
Lets see Reeves, Goodrow, and Sammy out is 6.8 mill and 3 players out.
Buch in is 5.8 mill and 1 player in.
You also might make several moves differently to account for this. Which again...is one of several reasons why you'd take nemeth into account not only last year, but you'd also consider what we could have done w a 2nd (or other assets) this szn to take on a bottom 6er w money retained.

Sry if I got this wrong but can u take a player making say 900k where the other team retains 50% so we'd only have a 450k cap hit? Bc that adds a huge layer of flexibility to filling out the 4th line/bottom d pair. Like maybe it costs a 3rd or 2 in this hypothetical world so that we can make it through last szn and this one. But it certainly makes it very very doable

Other things to consider: Maybe halak, kakko, trochek both take a little less money as well. Even if it's 100-300k from each of them. Maybe buch takes 5.6 instead of 5.8
Would be cool to have Buch but everyone could complain that Laf or Kakko will never be allowed to play on the first 2 lines lol :)
The nyr FO better be ignoring what hf thinks, that includes me. We can discuss whatever but our whining should be utterly irrelevant to their decision making.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
O i get that, i answered this a few times. I keep saying u might have had to suffer through one more rough szn or two is all. Which wouldve been last year and may e this one. Buy i say might have bc we could've still had Reaves or goodrow with buch. So I don't see where we'd have such a huge hole if we'd kept buch compared to what we have now. Either way, we have that cap space eaten up next szn too.

The other guy got all pissed at me, I hope this doesnt come off as me being nasty I'm just discussing this is all
It’s all just complete revisionist history. Buch or CK were getting moved and the Rangers decided to resign and roll with CK. We can play the what if game, but the Rangers weren’t rolling back in with the same team sans further depth. They also needed to work out Fox and Zibanejad extensions. Drury wasn’t hired to suffer through “one or two more seasons” at some depth gutting move to keep Buch. The Rangers also invested 1OA, 2OA, and 9OA picks on wingers who needed to play and develop. I get what you’re trying to say, but it just absolutely wasn’t happening so it just seems pointless to discuss. It’s also easy to pick out guys who didn’t perform here and just theoretically replace them with guys making league minimum. Then we get a season full of complaining by guys who don’t want Dryden Hunt or Greg Mckegg on the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
What doesn't work? You quoted a post where the math works. You've seen other posts where I also point out we could've traded away geo (to take on a min backup g...shot you could trade for one with money retained so the backup is making around min. You could also trade for f or d with money retained. Maybe use the 2nd we threw away to dump nemeth)

And even if u don't trade for a retained contract, buch is 5.8.

The other guys were 9.4

9.4 -5.8= enough room for three or 4 min contracts.

So how does it not work?

Again, show me the roster THIS YEAR with Buchnevich's 5.8M AAV. He was primarily traded because the Rangers knew there was no way it was going to work moving forward.

Even with that being said - look at what you wrote above: you're keeping a guy by adding 3-4 league minimum contracts (ie... fringe NHL players) - is that helping your team? Do the Rangers go to the final four last year, and have their youth gain all of that experience, without adding what they did at the deadline because they had cap space? Probably not.

Trading Buch was inevitable. The outcome was what was really disappointing.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
It’s all just complete revisionist history.
It's not revisionist. Some1 said "no other route was available, cap wise." So i showed we could've gone another route cap wise.
Buch or CK were getting moved.
They also needed to work out Fox and Zibanejad extensions.
yes, the nyr decided that. I disagree it was necessary, especially based on cap. Fox and zib aren't relevant to this. It wasn't a choice bt them or buch.
Drury wasn’t hired to suffer through “one or two more seasons” at some depth gutting move to keep Buch.
He was promoted to change the team in a positive way now and for the future while facilitating the development of young players. One of them was buch...who he jettisoned...in order to keep or bring in much older players who are either flat out bad or are at least significantly worse than buch. He spent more cap space to do this. Even tho he could've brought in one or two of the same people while keeping buch. Ive shown this repeatedly and its something people keep dishonestly ignoring.
The Rangers also invested 1OA, 2OA, and 9OA picks on wingers who needed to play and develop.
We brought in copp and vatrano. Clearly buch, being a single player, was not going to interfere w their plans for laf and kakko. And vk was clearly expendable to us.
I get what you’re trying to say, but it just absolutely wasn’t happening so it just seems pointless to discuss.
I love how people want to weigh in but keep saying this at the same time. Like, then whyd u respond?
It’s also easy to pick out guys who didn’t perform here and just theoretically replace them with guys making league minimum.
This doesnt really fit. Bc in foresight, a lot of people felt the way i did/do at the time and they were proven right over time. Even if it is only hindsight, that doesn't mean its incorrect to go back and realize the pros potentially missed something.
Then we get a season full of complaining by guys who don’t want Dryden Hunt or Greg Mckegg on the roster.
We still had that. We also still currently have that for Reaves and carp. It's also not really something that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad