Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nils Lundkvist will fly to Uppsala on Sunday and meet with the J20 team. They then fly to the Czech Republic on Monday. The next game Luleå plays is the 17th due to the international break (Channel One Cup in Russia). So if there are no Luleå updates on Lundkvist, don't panic haha

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Nils Lundkvist will fly to Uppsala on Sunday and meet with the J20 team. They then fly to the Czech Republic on Monday. The next game Luleå plays is the 17th due to the international break (Channel One Cup in Russia). So if there are no Luleå updates on Lundkvist, don't panic haha

Interested to hear if Lundkvist had any real chance to make Sweden’ National Team for the Channel One Cup? I mean he’s a first pair RD for one of the better teams in the SHL with outstanding production regardless age.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Interested to hear if Lundkvist had any real chance to make Sweden’ National Team for the Channel One Cup? I mean he’s a first pair RD for one of the better teams in the SHL with outstanding production regardless age.

I don't think they would have called him up with the WJC camp starting the same day. Maybe for the Beijer (SWE) or Carlson games (CZE)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I get tired of hearing about the "X-most points by a player Y-and-under in Z-league since whatever date." It's all nice and provides context to how well a player is doing relative to his peers in a historical sense, but it doesn't tell you shit about how well the guy will adapt to North America. It doesn't tell you how good a guy really is as an NHL prospect. And beyond that, I feel like guys are getting better and better younger and younger; so our guy who is fifth on some list using arbitrary criteria today is going to be tenth in five years, and so on. I don't even find these "factoids" interesting anymore.

Not directed at Lundkvist, who is a really good prospect. Just in general.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I get tired of hearing about the "X-most points by a player Y-and-under in Z-league since whatever date." It's all nice and provides context to how well a player is doing relative to his peers in a historical sense, but it doesn't tell you **** about how well the guy will adapt to North America. It doesn't tell you how good a guy really is as an NHL prospect. And beyond that, I feel like guys are getting better and better younger and younger; so our guy who is fifth on some list using arbitrary criteria today is going to be tenth in five years, and so on. I don't even find these "factoids" interesting anymore.

This x 1,000,000!!

Reactions: nyr2k2

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I get tired of hearing about the "X-most points by a player Y-and-under in Z-league since whatever date." It's all nice and provides context to how well a player is doing relative to his peers in a historical sense, but it doesn't tell you **** about how well the guy will adapt to North America. It doesn't tell you how good a guy really is as an NHL prospect. And beyond that, I feel like guys are getting better and better younger and younger; so our guy who is fifth on some list using arbitrary criteria today is going to be tenth in five years, and so on. I don't even find these "factoids" interesting anymore.

well no stats really tell you how a guy will adapt as a pro...but the big misleading thing here is not making it a per game stats. guys like hedman and dahlin were in the nhl at 18/19 so total points isn't really valid when Nils played another 2 seasons there

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
well no stats really tell you how a guy will adapt as a pro...but the big misleading thing here is not making it a per game stats. guys like hedman and dahlin were in the nhl at 18/19 so total points isn't really valid when Nils played another 2 seasons there
Even per season to this point would be fine. It's misleading in order to build hype and is how false expectations get laid

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Even per season to this point would be fine. It's misleading in order to build hype and is how false expectations get laid
Yeah and even when it's a "neutral" thing like when AK was posting the percentage of a team's goals a guy factored into (for Kravtsov), it still causes a frenzy. That's why I just can't get into it--I'd rather just evaluate the player by watching him and his development over time. You can of course support it with stats, but I feel like a lot of people do it the other way around. A lot of people seem to look at the cool factoids about how well a guy is performing and then use them to build their evaluation of the player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah and even when it's a "neutral" thing like when AK was posting the percentage of a team's goals a guy factored into (for Kravtsov), it still causes a frenzy. That's why I just can't get into it--I'd rather just evaluate the player by watching him and his development over time. You can of course support it with stats, but I feel like a lot of people do it the other way around. A lot of people seem to look at the cool factoids about how well a guy is performing and then use them to build their evaluation of the player.

And we should judge players based on their on-ice performance but the "stats-game" so to speak is just for fun (for me at least). The big problem with comparable stats, and this can't be said enough, is that in many cases the parameters are chosen to make things look better than they are. Stats are like highlight videos. You cherry-pick until you get a result that you can be happy with.

These type of stats should never be used to make a case or win an argument. It's just fun to talk about.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

It really is the epitome of weak data analysis (despite being fun to read). I think it speaks to the fact that their are so few eyes on our European prospects on a regular basis, unfortunately.

Which is why the shift-by-shift analysis we occasionally get in threads like the Wolfpack one are so valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad