Player Discussion Nils Hoglander PART III

Best Hoglander nickname

• Total voters

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
He reminds me of the original Honey Badger - Jannik Hansen. He would just hound the puck and at times would make a brilliant play for a goal and make you question if he shouldn't be in the top six. But keeping him on the third line and maintaining that depth of scoring was more important than promoting him.

Hoglander plays well enough for PP mins and to get more than 10 5 on 5 but right now he's perfectly cast and doing exactly what we need so don't mess with something that isn't broken.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hogs time on the top lines have been very brief, not enough for any hard judgments. Think he would be great with either EP or JT.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As much as previous iterations of Hoglander have not fit well with Pettersson, I do actually think that now is the perfect time to put him with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. Those two are starting to show promising signs, but just need a player that actually forechecks hard and refuses to allow the puck to leave the offensive zone, and that player is Hoglander and not Mikheyev, IMO. The dipsy doodly version of Kuzmenko does not work with Hoglander, but I think his recent adjustment into more of a puck-on-a-string-bull-dog in the offensive zone is a good fit with him, and Pettersson simply NEEDS someone to do the dirty work for him, rather than constantly covering for two hit-or-miss guys.

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Mikheyev - Aman - Lafferty

Reactions: Bleach Clean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Other teams around the NHL have been calling about Hoglander for some time. Based on his breakthrough year, you'd think he would be 'untouchable'.

But with the Canucks in the running for the President's Trophy and hopeful of a lengthy playoff run, you wonder if they might be tempted. I hope not. He's a fan favorite and only scratching the surface of what he might be eventually.

Reactions: Play

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Other teams around the NHL have been calling about Hoglander for some time. Based on his breakthrough year, you'd think he would be 'untouchable'.

But with the Canucks in the running for the President's Trophy and hopeful of a lengthy playoff run, you wonder if they might be tempted. I hope not. He's a fan favorite and only scratching the surface of what he might be eventually.
I agree. Now is the worst possible time to trade this player. High energy hitters with smooth hands and above average defensive skills are exactly the kind of players who you win with in the playoffs. Trading him off right when we'll need him the most is so shortsighted. I don't think they will, but like you say -- they might be tempted.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Considering what the Canucks 'could' have given up in the Lindholm deal, I'm more than OK with Brzustewicz and Jurmo. As for the first rounder--well into the back half of the first round--the kid wouldn't be in a position to even make the Canucks for three seasons.

But if it have been one of Podkolzin, Hoglander, D-Petey, Lekermakki or Wilander going the other way, then the deal would have soured in a hurry for me.

Canucks really gave up surprisingly little.....even if Lindholm turns out only to be a rental.

Reactions: Play

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Looks like he finally put on PP2. 17 even strength goals. Up there with the best in goals per minute. Really wished we locked him up to 6-8 years around 4 million.

It's going to be interesting to see how Boeser and Hoglander perform next season in the last year of their contracts.

I can see the Canucks tempting him still on a long term deal, and just meet Hoglander half-way, something along the lines of a 5x5m.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure how Hoggy stacks up around the NHL, but there can't be very many guys who have 19 goals--all at even strength and not one on the PP.

His energy-level is infectious no matter what line he plays on. And I really think he's scratching the surface of how good he'll eventually be. So glad the Canucks didn't give up on him, and include him in any trades.

But that won't stop other GM's from around the league continuing to ask about him.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not sure how Hoggy stacks up around the NHL, but there can't be very many guys who have 19 goals--all at even strength and not one on the PP.

His energy-level is infectious no matter what line he plays on. And I really think he's scratching the surface of how good he'll eventually be. So glad the Canucks didn't give up on him, and include him in any trades.

But that won't stop other GM's from around the league continuing to ask about him.
You would be correct.

Ehlers has 18 goals with zero on the PP and Hagel has 21 with 1 on the PP.

But it is a very rare profile indeed.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Bratt - Pettersson - Nylander
Forsberg - Zibanejad - Kempe
Höglander - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Elias Lindholm - W.Karlsson - Nyquist
Leo Carlsson

should make team Sweden in the 4 nations

Landeskog and Arvidsson are question marks due to injuries

Reactions: Indiana

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
From wondering if he was going to stick with the big club to a 20+ goal season. Gotta respect his tenacity this year. He put the work in, let the coaches coach him and is looking amazing this year.

Next super important question regarding him is...where does he rank in a re-draft?! Steal of the draft? 🤔

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoggy with a goal (his magical 20th) and a couple of apples. Over the years he's been pure poison for the Jets.

Every team destined to compete year after year needs guys like Hoglander dramatically outperforming their contract.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
From wondering if he was going to stick with the big club to a 20+ goal season. Gotta respect his tenacity this year. He put the work in, let the coaches coach him and is looking amazing this year.

Next super important question regarding him is...where does he rank in a re-draft?! Steal of the draft? 🤔

All homerism aside, Hoglander goes top 10 in a re-draft. I have him in the 7-10 range, depending on positional needs for the team.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
All homerism aside, Hoglander goes top 10 in a re-draft. I have him in the 7-10 range, depending on positional needs for the team.

Normally I'd wait until he replicates this next year, but this kid has proven me wrong about him. I didn't like the pick. I felt he was not savvy enough on the PP, was short/small, and was suspect defensively. What a difference development can make. Kudos to him. Kid is a pitbull.

Reactions: Indiana

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He's like a bowling ball along the boards, the way he crashes through guys. Comes away with the puck almost every time. Still relatively young, so he could become even more physically imposing, which is a bit funny to say about a 5'9" player, but its true. Opposing players are wary of him when he is charging towards them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad