Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My vote would be to just play Niku in the top 4 for the next 10 games with about 18-20 minutes a night. Right now we have two top 4 spots that need to get filled with bottom pairing assets so ride your 23 year old and let him fight through the ups and downs. That would be treating him just the same as we do Poolman or who ever else is filling the other spot. Those guys are competing but like Niku they are flawed too. Difference is Sami has a gift too.

last night Sami showed what he can do by making two great plays to set up high danger chances (brilliant semi no look to Connor for the Goal and the Sauce to Copp on the doorstep). Try him with Pionk or Morrissey for a while and see what happens with heavier minutes. If it works it’s huge if he struggles is it really materially different than the other current options.

Either way one night at a time for me now as a fan.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My vote would be to just play Niku in the top 4 for the next 10 games with about 18-20 minutes a night. Right now we have two top 4 spots that need to get filled with bottom pairing assets so ride your 23 year old and let him fight through the ups and downs. That would be treating him just the same as we do Poolman or who ever else is filling the other spot. Those guys are competing but like Niku they are flawed too. Difference is Sami has a gift too.

last night Sami showed what he can do by making two great plays to set up high danger chances (brilliant semi no look to Connor for the Goal and the Sauce to Copp on the doorstep). Try him with Pionk or Morrissey for a while and see what happens with heavier minutes. If it works it’s huge if he struggles is it really materially different than the other current options.

Agreed Sami showed he deserves the opportunity to move up the lineup for an extended audition.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I'm for giving him a shot. But I'd rather see a trade for a legit top 4. We have some expendable forwards, and a way to make a deal for a D. I'd include Niku in that trade.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Same. I was advocating for this in the off-season too. The Jets need to find a top 4 D and Niku is really their only (internal) hope.

Extend the leash. He can't be much worse than what we've seen.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Same. I was advocating for this in the off-season too. The Jets need to find a top 4 D and Niku is really their only (internal) hope.

Extend the leash. He can't be much worse than what we've seen.

Yes, the same thing worked wonders with KC.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Keep him up or send him down. 7th D, short leash, long leash, pp1.

Whatever Coach Gallant thinks is best.

I see what you did there...

Suppose the decision was left up to you and you had two options: Ice the lineup with the maximum chance of victories, or, Play Niku as much as possible in a variety of positions to fully evaluate his development.

You only get one choice: which option would you take?

Reactions: Garbox

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I see what you did there...

Suppose the decision was left up to you and you had two options: Ice the lineup with the maximum chance of victories, or, Play Niku as much as possible in a variety of positions to fully evaluate his development.

You only get one choice: which option would you take?

IDK — seems like a cal se choice, since playing Niku is not incompatible with maximizing the chance of victories and may actually enhance those chances (see the previous game).

Would also suggest that your dichotomy mischaracterizes many posters arguing that Niku should be given a sustained shot in the lineup as advocating that he be played for exclusively developmental reasons — as opposed to some combo of hockey and developmental reasons that ultimately serves the team (as it should).

Last edited:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
We have to play him. Put him in let him play in his top 4spot.

See what he has, what he does, and let it ride. It's not like the Jets have been playing "Dominant hockey" this year.

I've very carefully been watching our D.
It's a bunch of tweeters and scrubs beyond the top 3

Sbisa should be a PB guy and he's the guy I want on the ice aside from JoMo,Poolman, and Pionk. Play the kid in the top 4and work a trade for one of our young forwards and Perrault.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Oh please, if you put that hair on a stick, you would call it a mop. Having the most hair does not make it the best hair. Sorry, Sami. Get a haircut. :thumbd:
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad