Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
It seems like he's playing scared, tbh. I think he's pretty in his head about not making a mistake that it's causing that half second delay.

He started off rough but got better as the game went on.

He needs a run of games to get comfortable and used to a partner.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
The AHL wasn't helping him develop because he was playing mainly in the offensive zone with way less challenge (at least in the games I saw). Now he's finally getting a chance to adjust to the NHL pace and talent. With the advantage of hindsight can you imagine where he'd be at if he had spent all of last season with the Jets? We wouldn't have done any worse and he'd be seasoned and making less mistakes now.

Can't change the past, but hopefully the Jets don't screw up the present.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This wins the thread!

Why Ben Chiarot had an immediate impact, playing on the top pairing the year we went to the playoffs for the 1st time upon reincarnation. He took awhile to become a steady defenseman, one who often carried Niku last year, in our 3rd playoff appearance.

Niku made a solid first pass on many occasions today. I'd say it was his best game of the season. I didn't mind Kulikov and Niku as a pairing. He should get some games as the injuries amass. With Poolman out, he may draw some top 4 minutes. This is his opportunity. Lord knows we need someone to step up.

While early it's hard to say that the fast paced defense is an improvement from the bigger more physical defenses of years past.

I'd like to see Niku get some looks on the PP. With him and Ehlers on the walls would be able to track down a lot of pucks. I'd take Perreault out in his place.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Interesting to see Niku getting almost exactly the same 22 minutes of TOI at EV as Pionk, Morrissey and Kulikov (who he mostly played with), and Bitetto only around 14 minutes (spread with different partners). It tells me Niku is probably seen as #5D on the depth chart at even strength (#4D if Poolman is hurt). He will get his opportunities.

They see Bitetto as the #6D mostly in the lineup to PK, I guess.

Reactions: FinJetster

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
for/against shot chart with Niku on the ice from last night

upload_2020-1-13_13-27-29.png

Reactions: hn777

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
get out of here with those facts! I’ve heard he played a great game!
I don’t think a single person said that but carry on. He did some good things, which hopefully with more time will become more consistent and outweigh the bad.

Keep missing the bigger picture though. Just give me more Bitetto and Sbisa....:shakehead

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I don’t think a single person said that but carry on. He did some good things, which hopefully with more time will become more consistent and outweigh the bad.

Keep missing the bigger picture though. Just give me more Bitetto and Sbisa....:shakehead
What's the bigger picture. That if we keep playing niku he will become an nhl player. Like it did for petan and dano. Cause giving them over 100 games when they had no business in the nhl sure worked out well for us and them.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
What's the bigger picture. That if we keep playing niku he will become an nhl player. Like it did for petan and dano. Cause giving them over 100 games when they had no business in the nhl sure worked out well for us and them.
So apply that logic to everyone then? How stupid is that? Sometimes players take awhile to develop dude, you don’t give up on them after 35 random games.

Keep hating on the young players though, i don’t get it. You should want them to turn into good players, but you clearly don’t.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

What bigger picture? That Niku might someday be better? I agree but so far he’s been far worse than Bitetto and Sbisa. He’s giving up wayyyy more in the defensive zone than he’s producing in the offensive zone. Even on a team that’s been horrific by xG% and hdcf%, he’s been by far the worst.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
What bigger picture? That Niku might someday be better? I agree but so far he’s been far worse than Bitetto and Sbisa. He’s giving up wayyyy more in the defensive zone than he’s producing in the offensive zone. Even on a team that’s been horrific by xG% and hdcf%, he’s been by far the worst.
Jesus, the number of people who think he’s been given a fair shot and put in a good position is mind boggling. How the f*** do you develop a young player yanking him in and out of the lineup over 36 games? How the f*** do you decide anything after 36 games, even in a good position? Seriously, try a little patience and common sense. It’s not hard to see there is talent there,

Bitetto and Sbisa are what they are, even if Niku never surpasses their play we’re no further behind, but if he figures some things out and the coaching staff figure out how to maximize his talent, we’re further ahead. What do we have to gain by playing waiver wire plugs all the time again?

Cannot figure out for the life of me why people have such a problem with that.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Of the Finnnish defensemen currently in the NHL who have had any impact, only two are younger than Niku, one of whom is Miro Heiskanen.

Niku is not developmentally delayed relative to his background and opportunities. Sami Vatanen was 22 before he graduated from the AHL and came into his own. It would be OK if our Sami was slow-developing like him, wouldn't it? Or should we rush to judgement after every game? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsUK

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Of the Finnnish defensemen currently in the NHL who have had any impact, only two are younger than Niku, one of whom is Miro Heiskanen.

Niku is not developmentally delayed relative to his background and opportunities. Sami Vatanen was 22 before he graduated from the AHL and came into his own. It would be OK if our Sami was slow-developing like him, wouldn't it? Or should we rush to judgement after every game? :sarcasm:
Obviously some think that 35 games should be enough to evaluate his ceiling, even though those games have been sporadic, close to return from an injury and with different partners. I'm glad that the Jets org aren't that dumb :laugh: It seems that Niku will get his fair share of games this season after all, so all is good. There is literally nothing to lose in playing him over the other plugs.

Reactions: Gm0ney and Ducky10

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Obviously some think that 35 games should be enough to evaluate his ceiling, even though those games have been sporadic, close to return from an injury and with different partners. I'm glad that the Jets org aren't that dumb :laugh: It seems that Niku will get his fair share of games this season after all, so all is good. There is literally nothing to lose in playing him over the other plugs.
no one said 35 games is enough to evaluate his ceiling only that 35 games is enough to evaluate he isn't better then bitetto or sbisa and shouldn't play over them on a dcore such as chevy has put together that is so inexperienced. constantly reading that we need to play him and find out what we have in him when he is on his elc and will be here for a while and will get plenty of games in due to injuries is dumb to me.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
no one said 35 games is enough to evaluate his ceiling only that 35 games is enough to evaluate he isn't better then bitetto or sbisa and shouldn't play over them on a dcore such as chevy has put together that is so inexperienced. constantly reading that we need to play him and find out what we have in him when he is on his elc and will be here for a while and will get plenty of games in due to injuries is dumb to me.

When should they play him then?

There are very few players in the league that immediately come in and light it up. Unless you're a top 3 pick, it's expected there's going to be some development time needed, and getting NHL games is important. It's not like he's making the team worse when he plays - he may not be better than Bitetto or Sbisa right now but I believe he can be with some time and regular play in the lineup.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Jesus, the number of people who think he’s been given a fair shot and put in a good position is mind boggling. How the **** do you develop a young player yanking him in and out of the lineup over 36 games? How the **** do you decide anything after 36 games, even in a good position? Seriously, try a little patience and common sense. It’s not hard to see there is talent there,

Bitetto and Sbisa are what they are, even if Niku never surpasses their play we’re no further behind, but if he figures some things out and the coaching staff figure out how to maximize his talent, we’re further ahead. What do we have to gain by playing waiver wire plugs all the time again?

Cannot figure out for the life of me why people have such a problem with that.

I'm not sure what people have a problem with the idea of playing the six healthy players that are playing the best at that moment. If people want to argue that Niku is currently one of those, then fine. However the season isn't over so playing a weaker player because he may be part of our future longer than other players doesn't seem like a good argument.

Personally I think it's close enough that having him in over Bitetto (I think Sbisa has been alright) works for me, but I can see it the other way. Every advanced stat has had him the worst of our 6 D in all 3 games he has played since returning.

Regardless, with the Poolman injury, he'll get to play so it's moot, but if he wants more than bottom pair minutes, he needs to play better. It's not 'For him to play better, he needs more than bottom pair minutes'.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm not sure what people have a problem with the idea of playing the six healthy players that are playing the best at that moment. If people want to argue that Niku is currently one of those, then fine. However the season isn't over so playing a weaker player because he may be part of our future longer than other players doesn't seem like a good argument.

Personally I think it's close enough that having him in over Bitetto (I think Sbisa has been alright) works for me, but I can see it the other way. Every advanced stat has had him the worst of our 6 D in all 3 games he has played since returning.

Regardless, with the Poolman injury, he'll get to play so it's moot, but if he wants more than bottom pair minutes, he needs to play better. It's not 'For him to play better, he needs more than bottom pair minutes'.
You give him a proper run of games and he'll be better than those players. This team needs something else in the lineup that the likes of Bitetto and Sbisa can't bring, you need to see if it helps. Citing defensive metrics over 3 games is just silly, if you took a rolling three game sample from any of those guys it would look pretty ugly at times as well.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
get out of here with those facts! I’ve heard he played a great game!
people only like to use stats and charts to fit their narratives. same stats people use to critique and degrade wheeler, connor, scheif etc somehow get ignored when discussing others. niku is the worst dman on the jets by the stats over the past 2 seasons. for a guy touted to be a great puck-mover and ability to put up points, he sure as hell hasn't made our offense much better at 5v5 the past 2 seasons

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
One, two, one, two, three, four

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you
I'm still alright to smile
Niku, I think about you every day now

Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt you're in my team now

Said "Niku take it slow, and it'll work itself out fine"
All we need is just a little patience
Said "Niku let your hair flow, and fly up the ice"
All we need is just a little patience (Patience)

Mm, yeah

upload_2020-1-14_20-25-31.png

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
You give him a proper run of games and he'll be better than those players. This team needs something else in the lineup that the likes of Bitetto and Sbisa can't bring, you need to see if it helps. Citing defensive metrics over 3 games is just silly, if you took a rolling three game sample from any of those guys it would look pretty ugly at times as well.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Niku needs to make the most with the time he is given. He will not (nor should he) be put in the top 4 until his play improves. People can't make the argument that he needs more minutes/play with better teammates etc. He needs to play well with the time he is given to get more minutes, not the other way around, and he certainly has not shown he deserves more minutes yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad