Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
... and that is why you play him and hope his all-round game catches up to the potential he's shown in spades at every lower level, and glimpses of in the NHL.

And kudos to Sbisa for the vet vote of confidence. Classy move from a guy who's had to fight hard for a spot over the past few years.
Sbisa gets it, let’s hope Maurice figures it out.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Don't know who has got a more raw deal Niku or Harkins. Harkins or Apple should be tried in Rosie's old spot on 2nd line. Harkins doesn't even have a thread that's easy to find.
Harkins is getting f***ed not playing ahead of Bourque. The guy was doing really well, has loads of tools and he has to play behind another teams castoff?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Harkins is getting ****ed not playing ahead of Bourque. The guy was doing really has loads of tools and he has to play behind another teams castoff?

They’re under 25 and haven’t played 5 years on the team yet. They won’t get their chance for a few years yet under Maurice.

Reactions: FinJetster

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Different player when the kid gains confidence and plays with an NHL partner. Keep playing him and let him keep getting more comfortable.
Loved Ferraro analogy, getting hurt to start year is like trying to jump into a moving car and it seems like you never catch up, good perspective.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Really nice game from Niku tonight. Slowly earning trust and a spot on the team. Not sure what the Jets will do when they get healthy back there
Oh I can try.....
Jmo Pionk
Kuli Buff
Niku Poolman

Kuli spot is in compete mode with Sbisa, Bitteto, Beaulieu. Like I said before, Samberg could step in if ready.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh I can try.....
Jmo Pionk
Kuli Buff
Niku Poolman

Kuli spot is in compete mode with Sbisa, Bitteto, Beaulieu. Like I said before, Samberg could step in if ready.
I asked what the Jets will do lol

I very highly doubt they will waive Sbisa or Bitteto, which really complicates things.

They will have 4 extras. I can see them waiving Dahlstrom, but they can't carry 3 extra D (unless it's past the TDL)

Niku will likely go back down in that case.

Reactions: Garbox

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Thanks

I very highly doubt they will waive Sbisa or Bitteto, which really complicates things.

They will have 4 extras. I can see them waiving Dahlstrom, but they can't carry 3 extra D (unless it's past the TDL)

Dahlstrom to IR.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What's the bigger picture. That if we keep playing niku he will become an nhl player. Like it did for petan and dano. Cause giving them over 100 games when they had no business in the nhl sure worked out well for us and them.

Agreed. Should've applied this logic and put Kyle Connor on waivers after he failed to make the team out of camp and got sent to the Moose back to back seasons.:sarcasm:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

When can they keep more guys? What date is that?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Agreed. Should've applied this logic and put Kyle Connor on waivers after he failed to make the team out of camp and got sent to the Moose back to back seasons.:sarcasm:
that's not what I said at all. you kept reading here that even if niku wasn't yet as good as sbisa and bitetto that we needed to keep playing him he would turn into an nhl player. just playing more wont turn you into an nhl player. it didn't for dano or petan for example who got played to death but failed to get any better. connor was good enough to play in league and he got sent down for other reasons. and if we are being fair you could say even with this inexperienced dcore chevy put together still they kept 1 spot open for a rookie and niku lost that spot although higher on the depth charts to poolman. he's playing now so lets see what he does. could never understand the over reaction on him. he was always going to play lots of games due to injuries yet had to keep reading that it had to be now or never with him in terms of playing him.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Don't know who has got a more raw deal Niku or Harkins. Harkins or Apple should be tried in Rosie's old spot on 2nd line. Harkins doesn't even have a thread that's easy to find.

I'd really like to see more of Harkins as well--from the little I've seen of him he looks really good, with some great upside.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Sbisa and Bitetto need to play much more minutes.....given their big time upside.
You mean their upper body is big or...?:sarcasm:

I'm happy that Niku has been able to improve game by game. Of course it's unfortunate that it took injuries to get him a spot (and him NOT being injured this time). He'll probably have some ups and downs on the way, but hopefully he can become the player many has anticipated.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I hope not. I really dislike seeing a team get worse simply because of roster management. I understand it, but I dislike it as a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad