Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chevy in his latest state of the union address gives us yet another meme-worthy comment, again, certainly. :laugh:

"We really like Sami. Again, I think we picked him up, certainly, in a draft position, it was more related that he was underdeveloped size-wise and strength-wise".

I wonder if he's ever considered Toastmasters to rid himself of these horrible speech mannerisms.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy in his latest state of the union address gives us yet another meme-worthy comment, again, certainly. :laugh:

"We really like Sami. Again, I think we picked him up, certainly, in a draft position, it was more related that he was underdeveloped size-wise and strength-wise".

I wonder if he's ever considered Toastmasters to rid himself of these horrible speech mannerisms.
You just gotta learn how to interpret "Chevy", then his meaning is clear. Basically, he's saying that he thinks Niku has a future with the Jets and that his draft position isn't reflective of his potential because it was based largely on his small size and lack of strength. See? Easy.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You just gotta learn how to interpret "Chevy", then his meaning is clear. Basically, he's saying that he thinks Niku has a future with the Jets and that his draft position isn't reflective of his potential because it was based largely on his small size and lack of strength. See? Easy.

I got that. Understanding his meaning is not the issue. It's his mannerisms. He throws in again, certainly the way other people use umms and erms. It's bad public speaking, and it is correctable.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think chevy knows that chevy isn't running with 4 six foot defencemen in the national hockey league in the central division like ever. more like we drafted him in the 7th round and if he doesn't make it because he will never be good enough or strong enough or because we will never run with 4 six foot defencemen that its not a big deal he was a 7th round pick no big loss. is what he was saying.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think chevy knows that chevy isn't running with 4 six foot defencemen in the national hockey league in the central division like ever. more like we drafted him in the 7th round and if he doesn't make it because he will never be good enough or strong enough or because we will never run with 4 six foot defencemen that its not a big deal he was a 7th round pick no big loss. is what he was saying.

I don't think any GM ever has said that of any player. At least, not publicly. Who knows what they say about all of these guys in private.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Yep, I agree we are not going to play 4 smaller defensemen. This really plays against Niku making our team.
We saw last night, with Colorado just storming across the blueline with their speed. One of the best ways to slow that up and put an end to their cycle is to blow a guy up on occasion. It was good to see Bitetto paste that guy along the boards. Haven't seen much of that this year. Even Sciba can play a rougher game. Poolman is softer, probably cause of his two surgically repaired shoulders.

I really believe that playing against a smaller defense give the forwards of the other team an inflated sense of confidence. I don't like it, no sir!

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With the risk of going OT in the Niku thread I think Heinola is at least 1 or 2 more seasons away. Josh didn't make the Jets until D+4.
For me it's going to be physical maturity. Can he add enough weight/ muscle in the offseason to withstand the physical nature of the NHL? Will that alter his body composition and slow him down (at first)?

I think Heinola could be a tweener next year but he has to play in North America to get used to the rigors of the game.

As for Niku - there is potential, but I see him as the defensman version of Nic Petan. He has good skill and vision, but he hasn't figured out how to use that to be effective at the NHL level (yet). The game moves too fast for Petan at this level and I saw the similar issue with Niku.

As for the comparison between Niku and, say, Bitteto - yes, Niku is obviously more talented than Bitteto, but Bitteto brings qualities that, though people love to poo poo them, are still very important in the NHL. Physical nature, hard battling, PK'ing are all very important.

At this point, if I was managing the Jets - I'd bring Niku up as soon as he's healthy, and I'd bench Beaulieu. I am waiting for him to get his confidence back but he is playing like a deer in the headlights out there. Too many really poor reads and giveaways for him.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
For me it's going to be physical maturity. Can he add enough weight/ muscle in the offseason to withstand the physical nature of the NHL? Will that alter his body composition and slow him down (at first)?

I think Heinola could be a tweener next year but he has to play in North America to get used to the rigors of the game.

As for Niku - there is potential, but I see him as the defensman version of Nic Petan. He has good skill and vision, but he hasn't figured out how to use that to be effective at the NHL level (yet). The game moves too fast for Petan at this level and I saw the similar issue with Niku.

As for the comparison between Niku and, say, Bitteto - yes, Niku is obviously more talented than Bitteto, but Bitteto brings qualities that, though people love to poo poo them, are still very important in the NHL. Physical nature, hard battling, PK'ing are all very important.

At this point, if I was managing the Jets - I'd bring Niku up as soon as he's healthy, and I'd bench Beaulieu. I am waiting for him to get his confidence back but he is playing like a deer in the headlights out there. Too many really poor reads and giveaways for him.
Everything you said about bitetto applies to beaulieu. niku wont be called up to replace anybody any time soon. He will get called up to play if we have 3 injured dmen. We are only at 1 so far. 50/50 on buff coming back in the new year and that number will go to 4 injuries before he would play.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The reality for Niku is that he is quite likely now #3 among the Jets' LHD, behind Samberg and Heinola. I expect that Samberg will be able to step right in from college and play a solid defensive game with smart puck movement. He is also big and aggressive and can log big minutes, including on the PK.

You wonder if Chevy might contemplate moving Niku for a short term fix on D - maybe Vatanen? I think Niku and a 2nd or 3rd might be enough. The Jets would have a shot at signing Vatanen long term, if Buff retires. If Buff returns, Vatanen would be a good stop gap for a run this season.

Consider this...

Late this season...

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Vatanen

or

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Poolman

Next season...

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

Or

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

Reactions: ps241 and KingBogo

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Everything you said about bitetto applies to beaulieu. niku wont be called up to replace anybody any time soon. He will get called up to play if we have 3 injured dmen. We are only at 1 so far. 50/50 on buff coming back in the new year and that number will go to 4 injuries before he would play.
I disagree with the Beaulieu/ Bitteto comparison. Beaulieu has more tools in the toolbox but Bitteto has learned to play a very simple game. He knows what his limits are, and plays within them. He also plays with the confidence to make the play he analyzes as the correct one, even if it's not the 'best' play. Beaulieu panics, questions decisions, gets paralysis by analysis. I was hoping the Jets could cure that in him (other defenseman have overcome this and ended up being some of the best D in the league) but I don't think he has it in him at this point.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The reality for Niku is that he is quite likely now #3 among the Jets' LHD, behind Samberg and Heinola. I expect that Samberg will be able to step right in from college and play a solid defensive game with smart puck movement. He is also big and aggressive and can log big minutes, including on the PK.

You wonder if Chevy might contemplate moving Niku for a short term fix on D - maybe Vatanen? I think Niku and a 2nd or 3rd might be enough. The Jets would have a shot at signing Vatanen long term, if Buff retires. If Buff returns, Vatanen would be a good stop gap for a run this season.

Consider this...

Late this season...

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Vatanen

or

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Poolman

Next season...

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

Or

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman
They idea of using Niku as a trade chip to improve the defense is interesting. Trading for Vatanen though might only be a short term fix as I would doubt he would choose to immediately sign with the Jets over seeing what is available on the open market this summer. Of course Chevy could give him an offer he can't refuse, but it doesn't seem likely our patient and methodical GM would do that.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Consider this...

Late this season...

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Vatanen

or

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Kulikov-Poolman

Next season...

Morrissey-Vatanen
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

Or

Morrissey-Buff
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman

I think the more Calgary falls out of a playoff spot the more likely we get Hamonic. I must say though all those options look pretty damn good.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
They idea of using Niku as a trade chip to improve the defense is interesting. Trading for Vatanen though might only be a short term fix as I would doubt he would choose to immediately sign with the Jets over seeing what is available on the open market this summer. Of course Chevy could give him an offer he can't refuse, but it doesn't seem likely our patient and methodical GM would do that.

I see him as a potential trade pce that will come in handy if we ever get a shot at a mid level D man with some size -
Or trade him for a pick and draft a little more size into our back end line up - I feel we need a player or two that can play solid D, separate player from puck, and be skilled enough to move the puck at a decent level.

We have a pretty solid core plus prospects pool of smaller D men with offensive in their game

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Trading Niku for a short term defence man is absurd. Just as ridiculous as Samberg being on the 2nd pairing this year. Coming from the same people who were debating if Roslovic should be replacing Little as 2c last year. Or Vaseline playing top 6. Let the coaching staff decide where and when to utilize him. They do this full time and definitely know better than you how to deploy Niku.

Reactions: larmex99

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trading Niku for a short term defence man is absurd. Just as ridiculous as Samberg being on the 2nd pairing this year. Coming from the same people who were debating if Roslovic should be replacing Little as 2c last year. Or Vaseline playing top 6. Let the coaching staff decide where and when to utilize him. They do this full time and definitely know better than you how to deploy Niku.
The Jets have Sbisa on the 2nd pair. If you don't think a top NCAA D can step in and play better than Sbisa, then I'm not sure what you're watching. Look around the league. Top NCAA D are stepping right in and performing well.

Niku is behind two other D in the Jets prospect pipeline. How does that not make him a trade candidate? It's not something I'm advocating, but I could see the Jets making that move based on Chevy's interview and how Heinola and Samberg have developed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets have Sbisa on the 2nd pair. If you don't think a top NCAA D can step in and play better than Sbisa, then I'm not sure what you're watching. Look around the league. Top NCAA D are stepping right in and performing well.

Niku is behind two other D in the Jets prospect pipeline. How does that not make him a trade candidate? It's not something I'm advocating, but I could see the Jets making that move based on Chevy's interview and how Heinola and Samberg have developed.
Especially considering how strong the NCHC is. Samberg is playing in a league that is just a small fraction below the AHL in NHL equivalency.

Reactions: SLAYER and Whileee

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019

Why trade Niku who can fill 2nd or 3rd pairing whose long term rights we can control for a very long time at a low salary when we have cap issues?

Samberg stepping in at the NCAA level would be the exception. He likely needs time to develop. Just because a person does well at the NCAA level doesn’t mean they can walk into the NHL. That depends on the individual. I remember a NCAA superstar (Kyle Connor) who took some time to develop to be a regular in the NHL.

If you think there are a ton of NCAA defencemen who can just replace Sbisa then you are dreaming. I seriously doubt there are a bunch of $750,000 NHL caliber d-men hanging around the NCAA. Sbisa’s skill and experience do count for something.

Last edited:
Reactions: larmex99

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why trade Niku who can fill 2nd or 3rd pairing whose long term rights we can control for a very long time at a low salary when we have cap issues?

Samberg stepping in at the NCAA level would be the exception. He likely needs time to develop. Just because a person does well at the NCAA level doesn’t mean they can walk into the NHL. That depends on the individual. I remember a NCAA superstar (Kyle Connor) who took some time to develop to be a regular in the NHL.

If you think there are a ton of NCAA defencemen who can just replace Sbisa then you are dreaming. I seriously doubt there are a bunch of $750,000 NHL caliber d-men hanging around the NCAA. Sbisa’s skill and experience do count for something.
Samberg has been developing, just at UMD and not on the Moose. Not really much comparison between Connor and Samberg since Connor left the NCAA after 1 season and Samberg is now in the middle of his 3rd season. The NCHC is also the strongest conference in the NCAA and is not far off developing in the AHL.

Reactions: SLAYER and Whileee

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Samberg has been developing, just at UMD and not on the Moose. Not really much comparison between Connor and Samberg since Connor left the NCAA after 1 season and Samberg is now in the middle of his 3rd season. The NCHC is also the strongest conference in the NCAA and is not far off developing in the AHL.

That is a key point. There is a massive difference between one year in College and three years. Next year Samberg will be heading into his draft +4 season which is the same season Morrissey made the jump to the NHL. On top of lots of experience in a great division, two national championships (deep runs), and 2 world junior appearances , Dylan is also 6’4” and 215 pounds so he is physically mature. Throw in the last element that he is a very good defender which coaches tend to value allot.

Lastly we are not overflowing with LH D talent on our roster so I would not be surprised if Samberg makes the Jets roster next season.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

good post

If Sami gets a shot this season it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Reactions: Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Sbisa is a fringe NHLer. He was barely hanging onto an NHL gig when the Jets picked him up.

Connor was 19 and had one year of college. Samberg would be 21 and this is his 3rd year on a championship caliber NCAA team. There are many examples of NCAA D that step right in, and I think Samberg would be as effective as Sbisa. I didn't say there are a ton of NCAA D that could replace Sbisa, I said Samberg could. He's a top level NCAA D with size, strength and skating to handle the NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce