Player Discussion: Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
That's odd because just last year he said he was an NHL d--man. He's also not going to throw the Jets staff under the bus saying he should be there when they clearly don't want him there.

They should trade Niku for another good prospect. Niku has good merits from the AHL so he will have takers.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They should trade Niku for another good prospect. Niku has good merits from the AHL so he will have takers.

I don't know why you need to trade him. Having a defenseman play 3 years in the minors isn't a negative experience. You hear time and time again how Vincent and Maurice are on the same page, systematically. The Jets shouldn't feel rushed to call him up. Like Poolman, he graduates to a one-way contract, with several contracts coming off the books next year. Stanley will probably follow him too in a 3 year graduation period. If he makes it earlier, he earned his keep. It's such a long season to get hung up over a rookie's opportunity. I am quite sure that Maurice wanted veteran defenseman to start the year, especially with a lot of road games, to try to put some points in the bank. But injuries to defensemen are increasingly common as they front a lot more pucks. There will like be opportunities. Hopefully Sami isn't injured too bad himself.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That looks like a should injury after that hit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Any other team would look at Jets D and assume that if he can't make it here, he can't make it anywhere. We wouldn't get anything significant for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Any other team would look at Jets D and assume that if he can't make it here, he can't make it anywhere. We wouldn't get anything significant for him.
I would think teams are much more sophisticated in their scouting and player analysis than this. It seems to me the Jets are taking advantage of their strong play of late where the are solidifying a playoff spot to develop Niku's game with the Moose. I expect at some point this season we will see a more complete player up with the Jets. A player that will be very important for us in the future.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would think teams are much more sophisticated in their scouting and player analysis than this. It seems to me the Jets are taking advantage of their strong play of late where the are solidifying a playoff spot to develop Niku's game with the Moose. I expect at some point this season we will see a more complete player up with the Jets. A player that will be very important for us in the future.
Honestly dont hold your breath unless we have injuries. He had a possible spot till poolman took it from him. Injuries will be the only we will likely see him. Next year will be even harder for him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly dont hold your breath unless we have injuries. He had a possible spot till poolman took it from him. Injuries will be the only we will likely see him. Next year will be even harder for him.
I don't believe this for a minute. I think they see a very bright future for Sami. He has the obvious offensive skills but struggled in his own end. Being as slight as he is he needs to further develop quick reads and elusiveness much the way Toby did. IMO a big role in the A allows him to continue to work on this part of his game. I think he will hit the NHL running at some point this season.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I don't believe this for a minute. I think they see a very bright future for Sami. He has the obvious offensive skills but struggled in his own end. Being as slight as he is he needs to further develop quick reads and elusiveness much the way Toby did. IMO a big role in the A allows him to continue to work on this part of his game. I think he will hit the NHL running at some point this season.
What if there are no injuries do you think we will see him this year. Lots of people were saying regardless of injuries he would be on team even as early as December.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still think we see Sami this year - injuries or not.

The Jets are probably evaluating their glut of bottom pair guys to see who they are going to cut free. I think Dahlstrom is an obvious choice.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think players get reputations that affect how they are perceived. Reputations are acquired in a variety of ways, not necessarily valid ones.

Some of our grab bag D men have performed unexpectedly well but any other team can still see that some pretty lowly regarded D men are playing big roles for us. Add to that that the trade price for AHL prospects is usually pretty low to begin with and I don't think we get much for Niku.

If Maurice would not give Niku a chance earlier this season why would he give him a chance later this season? Doesn't make sense. We have had several injuries to D men that have created opportunity to call up Niku. It didn't happen. Maybe if we get several simultaneous injuries he will get his chance. Or maybe he will get the same kind of chance Spacek is getting.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think players get reputations that affect how they are perceived. Reputations are acquired in a variety of ways, not necessarily valid ones.

Some of our grab bag D men have performed unexpectedly well but any other team can still see that some pretty lowly regarded D men are playing big roles for us. Add to that that the trade price for AHL prospects is usually pretty low to begin with and I don't think we get much for Niku.

If Maurice would not give Niku a chance earlier this season why would he give him a chance later this season? Doesn't make sense. We have had several injuries to D men that have created opportunity to call up Niku. It didn't happen. Maybe if we get several simultaneous injuries he will get his chance. Or maybe he will get the same kind of chance Spacek is getting.
Are you seriously saying the jets a judging a player they drafted and watch play every day for years based on his reputation . I think they know what they have without a doubt. The only team that isnt judging him on his reputation are the jets. They know him. He will either work on and correct what is keeping him out of the league or he wont. Till then lets not pretend the jets are holding him back because he has a bad reputation.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
I don't think PM has any interest in ever playing him unless he has no other choice. He'll either end up with another team or back in Europe, I doubt he ever gets a shot here.
This is what I believe as well. Next season he'll either be at another organisation in the NHL or in the KHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think PM has any interest in ever playing him unless he has no other choice. He'll either end up with another team or back in Europe, I doubt he ever gets a shot here.
The old Maurice hates certain players so they will never get a chance argument. Until they get their opportunity and either prove themselves or don't. This line of thinking does get old after awhile.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The old Maurice hates certain players so they will never get a chance argument. Until they get their opportunity and either prove themselves or don't. This line of thinking does get old after awhile.
Even though history has shown over and over that those players flounder wherever they go.

Then the argument is 'the Jets ruined them' :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
There is definitely more to the story than we know. In the one game he played this season he had a strong game. I don’t buy that he was sent down for conditioning. Something happened behind closed doors. Then to not get a call up yet just further points to that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Maurice was very reluctant to use Niku when he was up last year despite the fact that he improved steadily during that time. The little time he got to play with Jets in TC and his lone game in the NHL this year he appeared quite ready for the NHL. He was sent down anyway. He has been dominant in the AHL all year but has not been called up despite our patched together D corps and several injuries to D men.

What in that picture suggests that Maurice is prepared to give him a chance?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Maurice was very reluctant to use Niku when he was up last year despite the fact that he improved steadily during that time. The little time he got to play with Jets in TC and his lone game in the NHL this year he appeared quite ready for the NHL. He was sent down anyway. He has been dominant in the AHL all year but has not been called up despite our patched together D corps and several injuries to D men.

this is an easy one. he has healthy bodies in the pb that he thinks are better then niku. no big mystery. why would you call him up to sit him in the pb.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Not saying I agree fully but 10-2-1 in November is going to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad