Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I do worry about Benning signing Ferland to a heavy contract. I dont think hes that good and Benning constantly makes mistakes in free agency. Theres almost zero chance Ferland is traded here at the deadline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still like Goldy but time is running out for him. He's turning 24 next season. I do hope the Canucks keep him and see if he can take the next step next season if not to finish out this season.

Reactions: Canucks1096

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'spin' from the Canucks was that Goldy sitting out a few games was just a way of getting his attention and forcing a more diligent approach to defense. But as the games drag on, and Schaller seems to be the first forward up when Green wants to make a lineup change, you really have to begin to wonder if Goldy's time in VanCity is coming to an end.

You can't just sit a young player and expect improvement. And obviously they're convinced they'd lose him on waivers if they tried sending him to Utica. More likely he's part of some sort of multi-player deal near the TDL.

Clearly Green just isn't enamored with him. And that ship may have sailed.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
any chance we can trade him for dal colle or Ho sang to the islanders
that's the kind of value I see Goldy having. I'm a HUGE Canuck's homer (mostly) but with Goldy I see little to no trade value. I certainly don't see a team trading picks for him. I see, like what you propose. Goldy for a similarly stalled player.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The 'spin' from the Canucks was that Goldy sitting out a few games was just a way of getting his attention and forcing a more diligent approach to defense. But as the games drag on, and Schaller seems to be the first forward up when Green wants to make a lineup change, you really have to begin to wonder if Goldy's time in VanCity is coming to an end.

You can't just sit a young player and expect improvement. And obviously they're convinced they'd lose him on waivers if they tried sending him to Utica. More likely he's part of some sort of multi-player deal near the TDL.

Clearly Green just isn't enamored with him. And that ship may have sailed.

I think you can sit a young player and expect improvement. Goldobin is well past the "he needs to play to develop" stage. He's more in the "he needs an opportunity to establish himself" point. Besides, if what Green wants to see out of him is a greater dedication to the defensive aspect of the game etc. improvement can come from watching video and working on that aspect at practice. A player is just as likely to play with more intensity and move his feet more waiting for an opportunity to get back into the lineup than playing 8 minutes a night or 16 minutes a night.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
On his way to 5th consecutive scratch. Nice way to completely destroy any trade value he had if the coach doesn't like him.

But this coach cant' scratch some really bad hockey players like Gubrandson, Pouliot, Granlund.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
On his way to 5th consecutive scratch. Nice way to completely destroy any trade value he had if the coach doesn't like him.

But this coach cant' scratch some really bad hockey players like Gubrandson, Pouliot, Granlund.

I don't really get what Green's plan is here. I think he's proven his point, and assuming his stated objective in the media isn't complete BS he needs to give Goldobin the chance to show he's learned his lesson by playing him. Otherwise the only message is sends is it doesn't matter how he plays, Goldobin is going to get scratched regardless.

For the record, I don't really care if Goldobin is moved out or not, but in the bigger picture some consistency in player development would be nice.

Reactions: Cupless44

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
that's the kind of value I see Goldy having. I'm a HUGE Canuck's homer (mostly) but with Goldy I see little to no trade value. I certainly don't see a team trading picks for him. I see, like what you propose. Goldy for a similarly stalled player.

Ship may have sailed on Dal Colle, the Islanders brought him up to the big team today and he's been performing nicely in the AHL this year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Shockingly the two shifts they were not anchored with Guddy and Poo they dominated those two shifts. I thought outside of one pass Goldy was very effective and love his ability to find the open D man. If only we had 1 or 2 offensive D men.

Reactions: sting101

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Goldy does well vs teams that open it up and doesnt have a good Dcore.

However we cant simply play the avs or oilers everygame .

He struggles in close checking , physical, detailed hockey. Which also happens to be known as playoff hockey

I would absoloutely try and showcase him here and move him at Trade Deadline

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Goldy does well vs teams that open it up and doesnt have a good Dcore.

However we cant simply play the avs or oilers everygame .

He struggles in close checking , physical, detailed hockey. Which also happens to be known as playoff hockey

I would absoloutely try and showcase him here and move him at Trade Deadline

He’s basically worthless.

Maybe we could pick up a depth pending UFA defender like a Ben Lovejoy or something.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, I would be utterly shocked if they moved Goldy. He's not being showcased prior to the trade deadline, he's being mentored and trained. Maybe if they got an awesome offer, but I don't see that happening. Like MS says, he's not a coveted asset. They stand to get far more value out of him by helping him to improve his game and really mine that upside. He's a talented kid -- he just needs consistency and that's something that many young player struggle with.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You watch Goldy in this game and you understand why he's both tantalized and frustrated two organizations so far. The kid has talent and vision out there. You can see it on the goal he scored, and how he meshes with Pettersson and threads the needle with passes to the trailing player.

But of course the problem has always been consistency. He's just as likely to disappear in the next game against Philly and cough up pucks in his own zone.

But you have to admire Green and the Canucks who are showing masterful patience. They're going to make a top-six winger out of him if it kills them.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You watch Goldy in this game and you understand why he's both tantalized and frustrated two organizations so far. The kid has talent and vision out there. You can see it on the goal he scored, and how he meshes with Pettersson and threads the needle with passes to the trailing player.

But of course the problem has always been consistency. He's just as likely to disappear in the next game against Philly and cough up pucks in his own zone.

But you have to admire Green and the Canucks who are showing masterful patience. They're going to make a top-six winger out of him if it kills them.

I'm not sure how scratching a player for 4 games is showing "masterful patience"? Is it the fact that he's still here that signifies this to you?

You can tell that they don't know what they're doing with him. He wasn't good last game. Apparently, waiting for his opportunity didn't get his legs moving the way they were supposed to? Weird. Pushing the right buttons? Didn't look like it.

When he was running hot, Green came out in the media and said he didn't like his game. That was the beginning. Reduced ice time and benching him after bad plays followed. All of this culminates in a 4 game press box stint. Beneficial motivation? Hardly. Green has to change his approach with this player if they intend to salvage him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A player is just as likely to play with more intensity and move his feet sitting out vs. actually playing?

Profound logic here people.

No surprise that you don't understand sound logic here.

Looks like Goldobin played with more intensity and was moving his feet after sitting out.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Did he?

I thought he looked exactly the same as pretty much every other game he’s played recently aside from finishing on a scoring chance.

I think he did. You are free to hold a different opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad