Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I don’t volunteer at DIU anymore after moving from Denmark.

But I still have lot’s of friends and contacts there.
Several of them say, that Ehlers has said to his father, who also works with DIU, that he is unhappy in Winnipeg, and apparently quite disillusioned with hockey for the first time in his life.

Why not ask for a trade? Apparently he is happy with his teammates and wanted to fight for it - however it is now said, he is pondering about asking for a trade.
Well i know he is not unhappy with the city of Winnipeg!! and he likes his teammates... i think most know why he is not happy...

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
So what did Ehlers do to get demoted to the fourth line? His stint on the top line was short but sweet. Maurice really seems to hate the guy, it’s baffling.
This has happened so many times already. Scored 5 5v5 points in the 5 games he got in the 1st line (most on the team) and was looking great overall. Then one game where the line doesn't generate much and he's thrown back down the lineup. Meanwhile the coach never forgets to praise Connor, Scheif, Wheels and even Laine this season after games where they didn't generate much, as long as they played the way he likes.

Just seems like such an old school army type leadership, where the only thing you can do is what you've been told to do, and any attempt of creativity or individual thinking is forbidden regardless of the results

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
There is something very special about Ehlers. Not many players being underutilized or thrown around the lineup like he is would continue to give their all game in and game out. It's human nature to give up when things look utterly futile. Maurice did a great job teaching this kid how to play in the NHL, but now that the kid has matured into a fantastic player this coach simply doesn't know how to utilize him. The biggest downer for Ehlers should be that there are never repercussions for Scheif and Wheeler when they crap the bed. Ehlers can have one bad shift and down the lineup he goes.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Leave it to Maurices to literally destroy the window this young core has had by a lack of accountability for certain veterans, and what seems like a literal dislike for perhaps our best play driving forward.

The idea of trading Ehlers makes me sad.
Talking to people who want to trade Ehlers and thinks he doesn’t perform makes me sad he’s are best forward 5v5 :(

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
There is something very special about Ehlers. Not many players being underutilized or thrown around the lineup like he is would continue to give their all game in and game out. It's human nature to give up when things look utterly futile. Maurice did a great job teaching this kid how to play in the NHL, but now that the kid has matured into a fantastic player this coach simply doesn't know how to utilize him. The biggest downer for Ehlers should be that there are never repercussions for Scheif and Wheeler when they crap the bed. Ehlers can have one bad shift and down the lineup he goes.
Good post!

I mean alot of people would become bitter with hockey or start to lash out at the coaches favs.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don’t volunteer at DIU anymore after moving from Denmark.

But I still have lot’s of friends and contacts there.
Several of them say, that Ehlers has said to his father, who also works with DIU, that he is unhappy in Winnipeg, and apparently quite disillusioned with hockey for the first time in his life.

Why not ask for a trade? Apparently he is happy with his teammates and wanted to fight for it - however it is now said, he is pondering about asking for a trade.

This is one (of many) reason why Maurice should be fired soon. I really hope Ehlers doesn't ask for a trade.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If we do end up trading him, I sure as hell hope we do not get bent over backwards again, and actually get some decent value.

It sucks, but I just cant see a player with Ehlers drive and winners mentality stay here, if Mo doesn’t treat him like he would be on alot of other teams.

He has said on several occasions he wants to be among the best in the league, that will never happen with Mo as his coach.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
No, has always spoken well of Winnipeg.

Like we all know, it is his situation.
Yep and he loves the organisation that drafted him. He loves Winnipeg... he likes his Teammates, he is good friends with Laine and others.
He is even close with Wheeler despite their age difference. He is the opposite of Evander Kane, he treats the Organisation with respect. When Maurice got the extension he spoke highly of him out of respect. Ehlers first respons is always to work harder, but it has been the same for the past 3 seasons, and sometimes people reach their limit. I think Maurice is a good coach for some players, but not for Ehlers.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Eheles doesnt follow the house league dump and chase style maurice wants. He shows creativity and gets called out for it
At the risk of sounding like a Maurice-backer, I'll play devil's advocate and be a little critical of everybody's favourite Dane. Let me put it this way...creativity is great - when it works. It's a matter of hockey sense... you need to know what to do at the right time. often, I find that all too often, Ehlers passes when he should shoot, or holds on to the puck too long. Of all the talents on this team, I find myself screaming at Ehlers via the t.v. screen the most. He can be so frustrating.

With his skills, there's no way he shouldn't be a regular 30 goal scorer and close to a point per game player. He lacks the hockey sense of true offensive talents. He has all the skills in abundance (his skating alone is magnificent, but he can shoot and handle the puck too). Even at the wing, he should be a "line driver" regardless of who he plays with.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
At the risk of sounding like a Maurice-backer, I'll play devil's advocate and be a little critical of everybody's favourite Dane. Let me put it this way...creativity is great - when it works. It's a matter of hockey sense... you need to know what to do at the right time. often, I find that all too often, Ehlers passes when he should shoot, or holds on to the puck too long. Of all the talents on this team, I find myself screaming at Ehlers via the t.v. screen the most. He can be so frustrating.

With his skills, there's no way he shouldn't be a regular 30 goal scorer and close to a point per game player. He lacks the hockey sense of true offensive talents. He has all the skills in abundance (his skating alone is magnificent, but he can shoot and handle the puck too). Even at the wing, he should be a "line driver" regardless of who he plays with.
I agree that he sometimes tends to make poor frustrating decisions with the puck, but he more than makes up those with doing a lot of great decisions with the puck, which lead to great scoring chances or drawing penalties. Pretty much all the stats suggest that he's been one of the best, if not the best forward in our group 5v5 this season.

He's 13th in the league in 5v5 points, and he'd most likely be a ppg player with proper usage on pp 3v3 4v4 etc

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I agree that he sometimes tends to make poor frustrating decisions with the puck, but he more than makes up those with doing a lot of great decisions with the puck, which lead to great scoring chances or drawing penalties. Pretty much all the stats suggest that he's been one of the best, if not the best forward in our group 5v5 this season.

He's 13th in the league in 5v5 points, and he'd most likely be a ppg player with proper usage on pp 3v3 4v4 etc
He's a great player, but the way he plays (as well as his usage) prevents him from being much better.

The Jets have a interesting issue... Connor is (right now) the most dangerous offensive weapon; Scheifele is the most talented player on the team; Wheeler somehow makes Scheifele produce more; Ehlers has the best "natural" skill set; Laine has the highest offensive upside; and I'll toss in Harkins simply because his north-south game is the perfect compliment to the east-west players on the top two lines. And yet, despite all this, they can't seem to score goals anymore.

The problem, to me, is the absence of a legitimate number two offensive center. Copp ain't it, Roso ain't it, Lowry and Cody Eakin sure as heck ain't it, and Wheeler is needed (right now) to spark Scheifele. If we had a good second line center, I think all of the other pieces would fall into place.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Eheles doesnt follow the house league dump and chase style maurice wants. He shows creativity and gets called out for it

Maurice even has some of his minions dumping the puck into the corner or behind the net when they are in prime scoring position, either too stupid to shoot on net or more likely to please Maurice!

Why shoot and attempt and maybe score when you can cycle the puck in the other teams zone to take five minutes off the clock!

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
He's a great player, but the way he plays (as well as his usage) prevents him from being much better.

The Jets have a interesting issue... Connor is (right now) the most dangerous offensive weapon; Scheifele is the most talented player on the team; Wheeler somehow makes Scheifele produce more; Ehlers has the best "natural" skill set; Laine has the highest offensive upside; and I'll toss in Harkins simply because his north-south game is the perfect compliment to the east-west players on the top two lines. And yet, despite all this, they can't seem to score goals anymore.

The problem, to me, is the absence of a legitimate number two offensive center. Copp ain't it, Roso ain't it, Lowry and Cody Eakin sure as heck ain't it, and Wheeler is needed (right now) to spark Scheifele. If we had a good second line center, I think all of the other pieces would fall into place.
55 is our #1 Centre by title only...he is nowhere near playing like a #1 Centre. If he was a true #1 Centre, he would not be needing his pal Wheeler to prop him up. He acted like one for awhile but it's been a long time since he's played like one.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
55 is our #1 Centre by title only...he is nowhere near playing like a #1 Centre. If he was a true #1 Centre, he would not be needing his pal Wheeler to prop him up. He acted like one for awhile but it's been a long time since he's played like one.

Oct.-Nov. 2018 to be exact

Reactions: FFHockey

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
At the previous page of this thread you will find data showing, Ehlers is now the best play driving winger in the league, only trailing centers Malkin, Barkov, Crosby.

Also, Ehlers is one of the best producing players in the league, if you take usage into account. He would easily be a 30 goal scorer and PPG with PP1, 3v3, 4v4 usage.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Why shoot and attempt and maybe score when you can cycle the puck in the other teams zone to take five minutes off the clock!
To me, this is a large part of "bad" Ehlers to me (other than passing when he's in the slot). It also reminds me of Jack Roso big time.

Reactions: sipowicz

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
At the previous page of this thread you will find data showing, Ehlers is now the best play driving winger in the league, only trailing centers Malkin, Barkov, Crosby.

Also, Ehlers is one of the best producing players in the league, if you take usage into account. He would easily be a 30 goal scorer and PPG+ with PP1, 3v3, 4v4 usage.
If that's the case, then he's fine balancing out the second line. I would agree that it's odd not to see him used more often during O.T. or 4 on 4.

...and I still think, with his skill set, he could produce even more (raw points) with his current usage.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
If we do end up trading him, I sure as hell hope we do not get bent over backwards again, and actually get some decent value.

It sucks, but I just cant see a player with Ehlers drive and winners mentality stay here, if Mo doesn’t treat him like he would be on alot of other teams.

He has said on several occasions he wants to be among the best in the league, that will never happen with Mo as his coach.
That's the reason, I find it hard to see Chevy accepting to trade him.
They are not exactly showcasing Ehlers for a trade. If they were, he'd be playing topline, PP1, 3v3, 4v4, so they will never get full value for him as long as the present usage continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I use the same argument for players being called number one d man because they play in that position. I agree fully

Reactions: thegr8one66

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The trouble is, he's the only one on the team with the requisite talent to fill that spot. We don't even have a legit number 2 center after him (unless you include a totally healthy Bryan Little).

Reactions: FFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad