Lets see when we start losing..

But honestly .....

#FreeNikEhlers :thumbu:

I remembered Ehlers being saddled with Thorburn in the 3rd line
And now Thorburn is gone.

He is now in the 4th line :laugh:

But yeah its a long season.
His minutes will probably go up.

Knowing Mau how he treats Ehlers the last 4 years.

It'll go from 12 minutes to 14. In a good night 16 minutes :)

Back to back 60 points!!!!

Name better top 10 left wingers in the league better than Ehlers?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Playing Ehlers less than MP is crazy.

Either Ehlers plays with Lowry and Copp or he plays with Little and Laine. Asking him to play 8,9, or 10 mins a night is a huge slap in the face. He's well liked by his teammates, he's a hard worker, and his skill is off the charts.

Maurice needs to get his head out of his ass

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I didn't see the game and there might have been a reason for REV being deployed the way it was, I don't really know. What we do know is that Maurice has had difficulty in the past with distribution. We also know that Fly wasn't impressed. It's hard to believe it's taking this long for Ehlers to buy whatever it is Mo's been trying to sell him. Seems like a disconnect between them.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
There was a lull in the game where the commentators wittered on about how great it was that Ehlers was “taking acccountability” for his preseason play by dropping to the fourth line on VESA duty.

Was he that bad in preseason? Is he still auditioning for the part of left wing? I am a bit worried that he’ll get stuck in POMo line-driver hell like MP.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Everyone wants a balanced lineup until we get one and then it is "I'm not happy with my favourite players ice time". No one is being traded any time soon. The Jets are a very deep and talented team and are a serious cup contender. No reason to enjoy having a dominant team, much better to spend the season bickering about my favourite players usage.

And I'm a big Ehlers fan and really like the experiment of trying to develop a young duo with Rosie and Nic. I think once they are able to dominate their matchups you look at introducing Laine and develop your big 2nd line.
There is a big difference between my fav player isnt playing enough, and my fav player getting doghoused over and over, playing 10mins on the fourth line.

Reactions: GNP

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I remember there being rumors that Ehlers had fallen off with the team... then this year he was one of the last guys to return to Peg and apparently wasn't in top shape... but that's just rumors. What ever the truth may be... we all know it's only a matter of time before Perreault gets injured.

I think Maurice loves that Lowry line too much. 10 minutes is fine for grinders like them, skilled guys should have more minutes.
The rumour here in Denmark, is that he and Chef are not the best of pals. And these are in hockey circles that speak to alot of higher ups.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What did Nic do to deserve this? :laugh:

Why cant it be Little or Perrault,:sarcasm:

NIC is your best left wing. I can only think of 9 better left wing in the league above him. That list included Giroux.

Im trying to understand.

4th line minutes !!!! :huh:

What i think of Nic Ehlers this last 4 years.

He is a team player. :thumbu:

Because both the guys in bold play a two way game and Ehlers doesn't.
It should be clear by now that Maurice wants to see effort and focus at both ends of the rink.
If you don't show an effort to improve your defensive game, Maurice is going to cut your minutes while you develop that part of your game.
The 4th line needs to improve there game at both ends - when they do, they will get more minutes.
That's how Maurice has always worked it -

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
It should be clear by now that Maurice wants to see effort and focus at both ends of the rink.
If you don't show an effort to improve your defensive game, Maurice is going to cut your minutes while you develop that part of your game.
The 4th line needs to improve there game at both ends - when they do, they will get more minutes.

2 way?

Two way means you put at least avg to good numbers like real points.
2way is use way to lose.

The 4th line never get good minutes.

Heck Laine doesnt get good minutes :nod:
That is the 2nd best goal scorer in the league.

Copp?
Tanev?

Yeah Little ok

Defensive effort? CSW....

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The rumour here in Denmark, is that he and Chef are not the best of pals. And these are in hockey circles that speak to alot of higher ups.
th

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Ehlers absolutely plays a two-way game. He’s got a great stick and vision and his speed makes him a very effective backchecker. The narrative of Nik as a one-dimensional speedster who shuns defence and contact makes about as much sense as the narrative that he has low hockey-IQ. They’re both bollocks. Not every player has to Tanev madly all over the ice to be effective.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It was one game let's wait at least 5 before getting out the knives. If it gets there and he's playing only 10 min then this beef will be more legit. That and Ehlers doesn't pk. See how team taking less penalties will affect his playing time.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
i don't think it was quite as nefarious as folks seem to think.

My take?
  • It was the first game of the season.
  • We were in a 1-0 game that we were getting outshot in.
  • Maurice wanted to win.
  • that means he shortens the bench to 3 lines (regardless if he didn't pick the right 3 lines)
I don't think there was as much for messages being sent etc etc. As soon as it was 2-0 we saw Ehlers jump up a line and we saw the 4th line get out there more often.

I'm chalking this one up to Pomo having some nerves to start the season and "doubling down" in an effort to win.

It was one game. It has only happened once. Not repeatedly. f it continues i'll be annoyed but lot's of gun jumping for the first game of the season IMO.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Everyone wants a balanced lineup until we get one and then it is "I'm not happy with my favourite players ice time". No one is being traded any time soon. The Jets are a very deep and talented team and are a serious cup contender. No reason to enjoy having a dominant team, much better to spend the season bickering about my favourite players usage.

And I'm a big Ehlers fan and really like the experiment of trying to develop a young duo with Rosie and Nic. I think once they are able to dominate their matchups you look at introducing Laine and develop your big 2nd line.

This X1000. The hot takes in the last few pages are hilarious. The Jets have the luxury, the HUGE luxury of have so many skilled forwards. I'm loving the depth, realizing that this comes along extremely rarely and enjoying it while it lasts.

Reactions: KingBogo

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This X1000. The hot takes in the last few pages are hilarious. The Jets have the luxury, the HUGE luxury of have so many skilled forwards. I'm loving the depth, realizing that this comes along extremely rarely and enjoying it while it lasts.
I love how many times people have used the wording, "hot take", must be the word of the day:laugh:

Any how, this is a forum, hot takes are to be expected, hillarious or not.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Ehlers absolutely plays a two-way game. He’s got a great stick and vision and his speed makes him a very effective backchecker. The narrative of Nik as a one-dimensional speedster who shuns defence and contact makes about as much sense as the narrative that he has low hockey-IQ. They’re both bollocks. Not every player has to Tanev madly all over the ice to be effective.

Ironically, I believe he's the defensive conscious of that line and it's a big reason he's on it. He drives the play from his own end and is very often F1 back in the defensive zone.

Reactions: PhilJets

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

So why is he getting 4th line minutes?
I appreciate the fact that you don't agree with my post but it would be nice if you could provide your own take on why he's on the 4th.
The only opinion I seem to be hearing on this board is that Maurice is an idiot and doesn't see what everyone else is clearly seeing.
I'm in the camp that feels Maurice is doing a good job and he's moved Nic down for reasons. I gave you what I thought were the possible reasons.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
So why is he getting 4th line minutes?
I appreciate the fact that you don't agree with my post but it would be nice if you could provide your own take on why he's on the 4th.
The only opinion I seem to be hearing on this board is that Maurice is an idiot and doesn't see what everyone else is clearly seeing.
I'm in the camp that feels Maurice is doing a good job and he's moved Nic down for reasons. I gave you what I thought were the possible reasons.

I believe he is getting 4th line minutes because:

• Maurice like connor scheifele and wheeler together (the reasons why should be obvious)
  • Ehlers Little Laine was not a great combo last year, so he's shuffled perrault into that spot
  • Maurice ALWAYS deploys a "shut down" line. This is his MO, it's his philosophy to roster construction. that's Copp, Lowry Tanev.
  • Maurice could have put Ehlers in that third line, subbing down one of copp or tanev, but the problem you'd get from that is now your 4th set of players is Roslovic, Rookie, Checker. That lines not going to get a single clean zone exit unless vesalainen and roslovic can drive them, a big ask for a 19 year old and a 20 yearold.

None of these are due to negatives in Nic's play. He's probably being subbed down because he can potentially shelter his linemates by being almost sure-fire zone exit/entry guy, meaning they just need to keep up and get in position and they'll get their opportunities.

additionally roslovic's got a hell of a motor and i'm excited to see what him and ehlers can do together.

I really think the ice time discrepancy was a one off and we'll see a lot more balance going forward.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I love how many times people have used the wording, "hot take", must be the word of the day:laugh:

Any how, this is a forum, hot takes are to be expected, hillarious or not.

Feel free to replace "hot take" with "BS" if you like.

No one said people can't post their nonsense, but as you say, this is a forum, and that means people's nonsense also gets commented on and called out as such.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad