Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers is great at regular season hockey.
If all you consider is point production then you would come to the simplistic conclusion that Ehlers has been ineffective in the playoffs. However, if you recognize that scoring rates in relatively small samples are erratic and focus on a range of other metrics of effectiveness, then Ehlers has performed well in playoffs... based on on-ice shot metrics, goal differentials, penalty differentials.

The Jets outplayed and outscored the opposition when Ehlers was on the ice over the past two playoff seasons.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ehlers is not getting moved for Noah f***ing Juulsen. Even if he is moved (and that's a big if)- Leafs were offered Pieterangelo and Pesce in trade that they turned down. Ehlers statistically is almost identical to slightly better than Nylander, his overall impact is better than Nylander due to his elite penalty differential and has a team friendly contract. There is no way the Jets would accept anything less than what the market was offering for Nylander which is an established top-3 d-man.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Looks a lot like the +/- stat.

If we used that stat, which is measure of goals for and goals against with said player on the ice, instead of shots, without measuring their quality, we would find Nik Ehlers at 7 assists in 21 games, and +2 in the playoffs, though Paul Stastny deserves the credit for the +, in a lot of the cases . Contrast Bryan Little, who many say has to go, with 2 goals 7 assists, +6, in 23 playoff games in the last two years (excluding 1st year of playoffs because Ladd-Little-Frolik were owned), or Roslovic, with 3 assists and a +5, with a fraction of the ice time, in 16 playoff games. Kyle Connor, on the other hand, has 6 goals, 9 assists, and a +1 in 23 playoff games. But Ehlers is clearly the most dominant player?

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If u wanna use plus minus Ehlers has been on the ice for 5 goals against. Connor on for 14 goals against. Stastny is overrated round these parts. Most his playoff points were pp points .

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
5v5, is what I meant. That's different.

Point is that Ehlers' line outscored their opposition at even strength over the past two playoffs, which isn't something that could be said of Connor.

Why is it different? +/- doesn’t take poweplay goals for or short handed goals against into account.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why is it different? +/- doesn’t take poweplay goals for or short handed goals against into account.
+/- gives a minus for shorthanded goals against, but not PP goals for, and SH goals for but not PP against. So players on the PK are at an advantage over players on the PP.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Ehlers is not getting moved for Noah ****ing Juulsen. Even if he is moved (and that's a big if)- Leafs were offered Pieterangelo and Pesce in trade that they turned down. Ehlers statistically is almost identical to slightly better than Nylander, his overall impact is better than Nylander due to his elite penalty differential and has a team friendly contract. There is no way the Jets would accept anything less than what the market was offering for Nylander which is an established top-3 d-man.
I love Ehlers, but don't underestimate Juulsen, if he would have been healthy this season, the view on him would be different.

As for the comparison between Nylander and Ehlers it's legit for me.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I love Ehlers, but don't underestimate Juulsen, if he would have been healthy this season, the view on him would be different.

As for the comparison between Nylander and Ehlers it's legit for me.

I actually see a lot of similarities between Juulsen and Trouba. Trouba is a better skater and passer, Juulsen might turn out to be a better defender. But his eye injury seems serious. He would be a risk, and I don't think the Jets will give up on Ehlers this offseason. He has the potential to explode offensively with physical maturity.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Juulsen had the worst Expected Goal differential rate on MTL at -.39 per 60 of all MTL d-men. Every other d man on the Habs is positive or atleast breaking even in this metric. He is not in the conversation as a key piece for a proven and established player.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I actually see a lot of similarities between Juulsen and Trouba. Trouba is a better skater and passer, Juulsen might turn out to be a better defender. But his eye injury seems serious. He would be a risk, and I don't think the Jets will give up on Ehlers this offseason. He has the potential to explode offensively with physical maturity.
He's been cleared to play and full healthy. But anyway I understand the fear when it comes to Juulsen. Next season will be very important for him.

Curious to see what's gonna happen to Ehlers.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
5v5, is what I meant. That's different.

Point is that Ehlers' line outscored their opposition at even strength over the past two playoffs, which isn't something that could be said of Connor.

I like Ehlers but even if Ehlers's line outscored the opposition, he didn't score any of them himself. He didn't even have any points this post season so what did he really do to outscore the opposition. Granted, he didn't get a whole lot of ice time. Looking at his stats, his CF%, expected goals for etc go down quite a bit without Little too. Kevin Hayes on the other hand doesn't seem to be better or worse off with or without Ehlers.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
+/- gives a minus for shorthanded goals against, but not PP goals for, and SH goals for but not PP against. So players on the PK are at an advantage over players on the PP.

It’s a rare occurrence to score a short handed goal, and if you let one in against you you should be penalized with a minus.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If all you consider is point production then you would come to the simplistic conclusion that Ehlers has been ineffective in the playoffs. However, if you recognize that scoring rates in relatively small samples are erratic and focus on a range of other metrics of effectiveness, then Ehlers has performed well in playoffs... based on on-ice shot metrics, goal differentials, penalty differentials.

The Jets outplayed and outscored the opposition when Ehlers was on the ice over the past two playoff seasons.

I agree with this but -
Don't be too surprised fans are using point production as the major measuring point-
We have other, higher profile players, that are pretty much measured mainly on points or goals while other lesser aspects, are ignored or downplayed.
Regardless - I'm not concerned about Ehlers point product reg or PP - he's too talented for that to drag on

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It’s a rare occurrence to score a short handed goal, and if you let one in against you you should be penalized with a minus.
Sorry, I'm not going to spend more time debating +/-. It's not a reliable measure of a player's performance.

Reactions: MardyBum

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
All I can say, is that trading Ehlers who could turn out to be a 70-80 point scorer, on a real team friendly contract is outright foolish, unless the "return" is extremely one sided in our favor.

Ehers and Connor, are the type of guys you build a future championship team on, and you don't trade either of them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
"The Jets outplayed and outscored the opposition when Ehlers was on the ice over the past two playoff seasons."

I guess +/- means more when it works to your own narrative.
I was using 5v5 stats, which isn't the same as the standard +/-. The difference is easy to understand, if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad