Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Ehlers can be an 80 point player if he puts it all together. He still gets manhandled from time to time. He needs to get more man strength to reach his full potential. But then again you don't want him losing speed. His 4th season is coming up and I expect big things, that's when Scheifele took off after showing good potential.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers has so much more to show than what we've seen. Many sports, coaches tell certain players to work on speed, speed, speed, then the finesse and accuracy will come. I think this is the case with Ehlers. He is the best at gaining the zone of any player in the NHL imo. If him and his linemates figure out what to do once he's there, watch out.

If a line had Ehlers' zone entries, to a high IQ center, with Laine's shot........:bow:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Love Ehlers...
As I've said before He either needs to slow down a step or two so his brain can catch up to his legs...or his hockey sense needs to speed up to adjust to his legs. if that happens...He's for sure a super star. Him and Pate and (probably Schief in a year or two) become a superstar lineup the likes of which we haven't seen in the NHL for a couple of decades.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Love Ehlers...
As I've said before He either needs to slow down a step or two so his brain can catch up to his legs...or his hockey sense needs to speed up to adjust to his legs. if that happens...He's for sure a super star. Him and Pate and (probably Schief in a year or two) become a superstar lineup the likes of which we haven't seen in the NHL for a couple of decades.

I'm sure enjoying watching the growth of a lot of our players. It boggles my mind how good our lineup could be as early as this year.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers can be an 80 point player if he puts it all together. He still gets manhandled from time to time. He needs to get more man strength to reach his full potential. But then again you don't want him losing speed. His 4th season is coming up and I expect big things, that's when Scheifele took off after showing good potential.
He is not going to produce much more with the ice time he gets, and 2nd pp.

If you expect that, you will be dissapointed.
Chef had very little elite comp, so he got buttloads toi and 1st pp in his 4th season.

Reactions: Halberdier

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers one of the best Jet

Back to back 60 points as under 21.
Can be put on any line
Signed a team friendly contract 1 year before ELC expired.
Seems to be like by all players.
Game changing speed demon.

Hope he practiced some breakaway moves though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Maurice need to use Ehlers better.

Also longer leash for him and Laine.

Those 2 got a short leash.
Just because they are nice kids ;)

Seriously.

This #27 is dynamite player.
He was on pace for insane number at the start of the year. And got thrown in all possible line combinations.

He is not an in experience player anymore, got 3 years under his belt.

Partnering him with Roslo might be a dynamic combo.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Ehlers can be an 80 point player if he puts it all together.

Full season with Scheifele + Laine with 1st line TOI and good amount of PP time. He might hit 80 points with just that recipe without being even better player than last season.

I'm just wondering whether Ehlers could make it into PP1, but that would happen only then if Wheeler got injured and Ehlers took his place. Left handed winger would have the correct handedness for the job as that would allow Laine, Scheifele and Buff to feed the playmaker for one-timers.

Maurice would never play 5 forwards on PP, and there is no point to put Ehlers in front of the net.

(Laine's FEL team Tappara and also Team Finland have occasionally played also with 5 forwards on PP with pretty good success)

PP1 last season was seriously much worse than those goals fools us to think. It's only the exceptional shooting by Laine and Scheifele and individual skill and effort by Wheeler that made it effective. PP1 was dull, static, rigid and so predictable you knew all the time what's going on. Not a surprise that in the playoffs opponents typically got it right after the first game, including but not limited to Vegas. PP2 with Myers as its primus motor and Ehlers as a good side-kick moved the puck much better and it was harder to predict. Only the fact that it lacked Laine & Scheifele level of goal scoring made it less effective.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Full season with Scheifele + Laine with 1st line TOI and good amount of PP time. He might hit 80 points with just that recipe without being even better player than last season.

I'm just wondering whether Ehlers could make it into PP1, but that would happen only then if Wheeler got injured and Ehlers took his place. Left handed winger would have the correct handedness for the job as that would allow Laine, Scheifele and Buff to feed the playmaker for one-timers.

Maurice would never play 5 forwards on PP, and there is no point to put Ehlers in front of the net.

(Laine's FEL team Tappara and also Team Finland have occasionally played also with 5 forwards on PP with pretty good success)

PP1 last season was seriously much worse than those goals fools us to think. It's only the exceptional shooting by Laine and Scheifele and individual skill and effort by Wheeler that made it effective. PP1 was dull, static, rigid and so predictable you knew all the time what's going on. Not a surprise that in the playoffs opponents typically got it right after the first game, including but not limited to Vegas. PP2 with Myers as its primus motor and Ehlers as a good side-kick moved the puck much better and it was harder to predict. Only the fact that it lacked Laine & Scheifele level of goal scoring made it less effective.

I agree with your assessment of PP1. The numbers were better than the PP itself was.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
At the bottom of the article there is a Danish radio podcast with Ehlers.

It's a hockey podcast, and this episode is all Ehlers.

They talk about everything from aspirations, dissapointment over his PO production, how much it hurt to loose the conference final, how much, and when he started to train for the upcomming season, and yes, Laines beard :laugh:

Also talks about his hockey upbringing, and that a German coach is responsible for a lot of his skating.

He gives glowing praise to Winnipeg, and the hockey crazed fans of Winnipeg.

Gives Patty Kane and Seguin credit for him going overseas to play Jr. hockey.

It is in Danish, and I will translate more tomorrow, but if you want to try and give Danish a try, here ya go:

Podcast: Frederik Lindved har talt med Nikolaj Ehlers - Hockeymagasinet.dk - Alt om ishockey

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ehlers only has to process the game as fast as he is going. Big ask.

I guess if speed is your main thing it would make sense that your vision or "IQ" would suffer. Because not only do you have to keep up with yourself, you have to keep up with everyone else at the same limited time.

They just need to make a million "set plays" so Ehlers doesn't have to think too much too fast (because it is damn near impossible). So I guess what I'm saying is that Ehlers should not be shuffled around but he should be able to start creating chemistry with an effective line. And not ELL.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Love Ehlers...

Matthew Lombardi 2.0

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Ehlers has so much more to show than what we've seen. Many sports, coaches tell certain players to work on speed, speed, speed, then the finesse and accuracy will come. I think this is the case with Ehlers. He is the best at gaining the zone of any player in the NHL imo. If him and his linemates figure out what to do once he's there, watch out.

If a line had Ehlers' zone entries, to a high IQ center, with Laine's shot........:bow:
Again you mean :thumbu: Ideally Roslovic at the start of the playoffs is that 2C. He has the ability and opportunity to have a season that impacts like Kyle Connor did last year.

Not in goals but overall he does, may even be poised for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad