Nikolaj Ehlers vs. Brock Boeser

Who’s better?

• Total voters

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
Tough
Ehlers skating and speed and edge work is really strong.

But you saw last night what boeser can with just his shot and in OT when he went 1 on 3 and ripped one off the crossbar before the goalie even reacted to the shot.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I dont watch the jets as much for sure, so I'm basing my argument on previous viewings of Ehlers. Boeser this year is offensively and defensively sound each game. he was also saddled with incredibly ineffective linemates for the first month of this season. He has been better than Pettersson and Miller this year. Whereas, I am more impressed with Schiefele and Connor on the Jets. Its correct that he is a quiet star on the jets, but its not like Boeser is a household name either.... Is Ehlers on pp2?

Yes Ehlers is on the 2nd PP and has been all season.

BTW while I think Ehlers is the better player and voted that way in the poll I am very surprised that Ehlers is doing so much better then Boeser. Both are great young players that every team in the NHL would be happy to have play for them

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Tough
Ehlers skating and speed and edge work is really strong.

But you saw last night what boeser can with just his shot and in OT when he went 1 on 3 and ripped one off the crossbar before the goalie even reacted to the shot.
You also saw what Ehlers can do in OT last night. Same outcome.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Was just going to say this. Last year was a bit of a write off for Boeser. He dealt with wrist and back injuries all season. Good to see him healthy again.
I think a lot of us Nuck fans kind of forgot how good Brocks rookie season was because of the back to back seasons of Petey and Quinn.
The truth is Brocks season if he doesn't get hurt likely sees him score 35+ and close to a ppg since if I recall he was on a hot streak, after the ASG. He also did it without a lot of the elite players we see in the lineup now. Wasn't his linemates Horvat and Baertchi? Or Goldy possibly?

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I think a lot of us Nuck fans kind of forgot how good Brocks rookie season was because of the back to back seasons of Petey and Quinn.
The truth is Brocks season if he doesn't get hurt likely sees him score 35+ and close to a ppg since if I recall he was on a hot streak, after the ASG. He also did it without a lot of the elite players we see in the lineup now. Wasn't his linemates Horvat and Baertchi? Or Goldy possibly?

Yes, Horvat got also injured in his rookie season, and yet he produced at near PPG clip as a rookie with Thomas Vanek and Sam Gagner as his linemates.

Boeser has been the team MVP for majority of the season, along with the rising Demko.

Regardless of what the poll results are, both Boeser and Ehlers are close and are in the same tier.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Yes, Horvat got also injured in his rookie season, and yet he produced at near PPG clip as a rookie with Thomas Vanek and Sam Gagner as his linemates.

Boeser has been the team MVP for majority of the season, along with the rising Demko.

Regardless of what the poll results are, both Boeser and Ehlers are close and are in the same tier.
Thanks forgot about that. Man those were some dark times, sometimes for fun I go back and look at the lineups and man while I get the reason for it those rosters were fugly.
Someone on CDC posted our D core when both Edler and Tanev were hurt,
Pouliot, Stech, weber, Guddy, was our top 4 iirc, and pp1 was Horvat, Granny, Brock, Pouliot and Weber. Dark times lol.
But I agree they are both in that same tier of a true top line winger.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
In some ways I think Boeser would benefit by being on the second PP. He is not the focal point of the first unit and play doesn’t run through him.

Canucks fan saying Ehlers but Boeser has been great this year.

I could easily see this flipping back and forth over who has the better year each season.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I think that Ehlers is rightfully winning this poll, but it's definitely close. The fact that Ehlers is winning by a bunch doesn't mean that it's a huge gap in player quality. It just means that a lot of people recognize that Ehler is tipping the scale at this time. I'd be happy with either player on my team.

Reactions: libertarian

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In some ways I think Boeser would benefit by being on the second PP. He is not the focal point of the first unit and play doesn’t run through him.

I could easily see this flipping back and forth over who has the better year each season.

The fact here is that Boeser is being mishandled badly by the incompetent coaching staff on the PP for majority of the season.

He is primarily a shooter, and yet they thought it was such a good idea to put it him as a puck distributor behind the net. We saw what he can do against Montreal once they got it right (for a short period of time, then these idiots went back to status quo).

Wouldve had a lot more PP Goals if he switched with Miller.

Thanks forgot about that. Man those were some dark times, sometimes for fun I go back and look at the lineups and man while I get the reason for it those rosters were fugly.
Someone on CDC posted our D core when both Edler and Tanev were hurt,
Pouliot, Stech, weber, Guddy, was our top 4 iirc, and pp1 was Horvat, Granny, Brock, Pouliot and Weber. Dark times lol.
But I agree they are both in that same tier of a true top line winger.

Fours year later, and yet our defensive depth is still pretty brutal.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, in case others don't realize it, Boeser is bafflingly not in a shooting position on the PP the majority of the time. He's usually down low, by the net. Every time they put him by the circle he looks dangerous, and then they go right back to Miller there, trying to force passes through two defenders.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yea, in case others don't realize it, Boeser is bafflingly not in a shooting position on the PP the majority of the time. He's usually down low, by the net. Every time they put him by the circle he looks dangerous, and then they go right back to Miller there, trying to force passes through two defenders.
Boeser's average powerplay time per game in the past 3 seasons is almost 3 times higher than Ehlers. Ehlers plays on a unit that includes Andrew Copp, Mathieu Perreault, and for a good while Adam Lowry. Boeser isn't ideally used, but at least he's used.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ehlers has 2 assists on Scheifele goals, and Scheifele has 2 assists on Ehlers goals. They have assisted on one goal together. They are largely non-factors in each other's production.

So quality of teammate has no impact on how another plays? So I guess to you, Tyson Barrie will still be a point per game guy on any other NHL club? got it! awesome, thanks for sharing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So quality of teammate has no impact on how another plays? So I guess to you, Tyson Barrie will still be a point per game guy on any other NHL club? got it! awesome, thanks for sharing.
I don't know what you think I said, but since you brought up Barrie as a player who in your mind is in a similar situation to Ehlers, let's compare them:

Ehlers has played 143 minutes with Scheifele on the ice this season in all situations. He has 2 assists on goals scored by Scheifele, and Scheifele has 2 assists on goals scored by Ehlers. Ehlers and Scheifele both had assists on one other goal.

Barrie has played 431 minutes with McDavid on the ice this season in all situations. He has 8 assists on goals scored by McDavid, and McDavid has 3 assists on goals scored by Barrie. McDavid and Barrie both had assists on 7 other goals.

McDavid has played a statistical role in 18 of Barrie's total 28 points this season, so roughly 64%. Scheifele has played a statistical role in 5 of Ehlers's total 31 points this season, roughly 16%.

Do you think these are similar situations?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad