Nikolaj Ehlers vs. Brock Boeser

Who’s better?

• Total voters

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Brock has dealt with injuries up until this year so it's hard to say where Brock may be if he was fully healthy.

His rookie year he was a stud with not a lot to work with.
This season he's healthy and is back to his rookie form.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Brock has dealt with injuries up until this year so it's hard to say where Brock may be if he was fully healthy.

His rookie year he was a stud with not a lot to work with.
This season he's healthy and is back to his rookie form.
Was just going to say this. Last year was a bit of a write off for Boeser. He dealt with wrist and back injuries all season. Good to see him healthy again.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In what way is P60 a bs stat? It is literally just points adjusted for ice time... Using raw points avoids a lot of context.
Not actually using raw points though. The per 82 games is very much an adjusted stat favoring Boeser who hasn't played a full 82 games yet. They just don't not want to adjust it all the way to account for ice time.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Jet fan and a big Ehlers fan I am surprised on how much he is winning this poll but I do think that Ehlers is the better player.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Last year, Ehlers.

This year, a healthy Boeser blows by Ehlers.

Boeser this year has been the team MVP, he's been a world of difference offensively and defensively.

I have to say I always compared Boeser to Connor but rarely Ehlers.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Last year, Ehlers.

Boeser this year has been the team MVP, he's been a world of diffe games to Boeserrence offensively a games to Bosdefensively.

Ehlers currently has 31 points in 29 games to Boeser 30 points in 33 games. Can you explain to me how Boeser is "blowing by Ehlers"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ehlers currently has 31 points in 29 games to Boeser 30 points in 33 games. Can you explain to me how Boeser is "blowing by Ehlers"?

let me try, although I didn't say he's blowing by Ehlers, Boeser does not have a teamate that is producing at the rate of Sheifelle which is give or take at a 120 point pace. That can really help. These factors need to be considered. Like you can't say Yamamoto is liting shit up like Boeser or Ehlers when he has Mcdavid and Drai as linemates. feel free to look at the pace our centremans are producing at vs what jets centremans producing at. Huge difference.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
let me try, although I didn't say he's blowing by Ehlers, Boeser does not have a teamate that is producing at the rate of Sheifelle which is give or take at a 120 point pace. That can really help. These factors need to be considered. Like you can't say Yamamoto is liting shit up like Boeser or Ehlers when he has Mcdavid and Drai as linemates. feel free to look at the pace our centremans are producing at vs what jets centremans producing at. Huge difference.
Ehlers does not play with Scheifele.. try to look at Ehlers centers last year and this year and you will be surprised.. look at Ehlers TOI and usage. Ehlers elevate his linemates. look at Ehlers even strength numbers the last couple of years. look at 5v5 numbers
Ehlers plays PP2. He is not playing 5v3 or 4v3 he is not out with Empty netters
Try to look at Ehlers TOI compared to others.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I get you don't watch the Jets much otherwise you would not make a argument that is not true.

Ehlers does not play with Scheifele. Ever.

Ehlers is the play driver of the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit. Other then the odd time that Scheifele and Ehlers are on the ice together when one has played too long of a shift (Scheifele) they never play together. Ehlers has played this entire break out season for him with either Stastny or PLD as his centre. Stastny is currently #7 on the Jets scoring list and PLD is #12. Lastly while Scheifele is on his way to have a career year in point production per game Ehlers has been the best Jet forward player all of this season. Ehlers in his prime is the better player then Boeser so far.

Last edited:

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
This is a tough choice, good poll OP. My eye test wants to say Ehlers, but the stats seem to favor Boeser. Im going to go with Ehlers, but its soooo close.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I like how ?Ehlers drops the mitts and fights. Different types of players though. They would actually be great on the same line.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I was down on Brock coming into the year but he looks healthy and back to his rookie year form but with a better all around game. Thing is, Ehlers is also doing better this year and I would have taken him coming into the year as well. I have a soft spot for Brock so it's hard to separate that, and when I watch Ehlers (admittedly less often), he seems at a similar level, but his 5v5 scoring efficiency and play driving numbers make it hard not to objectively call him the better player.

Reactions: libertarian

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Both are very good young players, I think you could put up a good case for either. I'm really surprised how much the pol favors Ehlers, I thought this would be much closer.

Reactions: libertarian

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Last year, Ehlers.

Boeser this year has been the team MVP, he's been a world of difference offensively and defensively.

Most Jets fans (including myself) think that Ehlers is better than Connor. I would also compare Boeser to Connor more than I would Ehlers.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

I dont watch the jets as much for sure, so I'm basing my argument on previous viewings of Ehlers. Boeser this year is offensively and defensively sound each game. he was also saddled with incredibly ineffective linemates for the first month of this season. He has been better than Pettersson and Miller this year. Whereas, I am more impressed with Schiefele and Connor on the Jets. Its correct that he is a quiet star on the jets, but its not like Boeser is a household name either.... Is Ehlers on pp2?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Ehlers has 2 assists on Scheifele goals, and Scheifele has 2 assists on Ehlers goals. They have assisted on one goal together. They are largely non-factors in each other's production.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I dont watch the jets as much for sure, so I'm basing my argument on previous viewings of Ehlers. Boeser this year is offensively and defensively sound each game. he was also saddled with incredibly ineffective linemates for the first month of this season. He has been better than Pettersson and Miller this year. Whereas, I am more impressed with Schiefele and Connor on the Jets. Its correct that he is a quiet star on the jets, but its not like Boeser is a household name either.... Is Ehlers on pp2?
Ehlers is on PP2 and PP1 has a habit of staying on for about the first 1:30 of every powerplay, though they've been a bit better about it this year.

As for defensive game, analytics usually puts Ehlers right behind Mark Stone as the 2nd best forward in the league in terms of shot suppression. He doesn't do it by being a stalwart in his own zone mind you he does it by always having the puck on his stick and being top in the league for controlled break-ins and thus maintaining possession. I do like Boeser a lot though, was really hoping he'd fall to the spot where we picked Roslovic.

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It feels like Ehlers suffers from what Matthews did under Babcock, he's performing amazing with some awful usage. It'd be interesting to see how good his production can get with 19 minutes a game/more pp time. Even during the leafs series it surprised me how little they played him on the PP even though he was their most dangerous weapon imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad