Speculation: Nikolai Kulemin to Test Free Agency?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How is it that Kuli ends up getting an opportunity on the Pens' second line?

I suppose it's possible, but so many things have to fall into place:

-the pens wanting him
-the pens being in a situation where Kuli has to play the second line.
-the pens offer enough money for Kuli to want to play there
-Kuli playing well
-Malkin playing well
-the pens 3rd line being in place

You could make the same argument for Clarkson being a 20/50 guy playing with Malkin too.

I said in my original post Kul could produce decent numbers in the right situation and then when you slagged my post i offered an example . I don't even know what you're trying to say outside of knocking a player you think is on the way out the door.

Kul is a hard working gritty defensively responsible player who can produce decent numbers in the situation . He won't generate much offense on his own but i believe he could be a good compliment to the right center .

Kyle Doobas*

Kul is a hard working gritty defensively responsible player who can produce decent numbers in the situation . He won't generate much offense on his own but i believe he could be a good compliment to the right center .
I agree, but at the end of the day, we're not really in a position to be throwing upwards of $4M at him and hoping.

He was one of my favourites for a few years there, though, so I wish him luck in Pittsburgh, or wherever he ends up.

ForSpareParts*

I said in my original post Kul could produce decent numbers in the right situation and then when you slagged my post i offered an example . I don't even know what you're trying to say outside of knocking a player you think is on the way out the door.

I wouldn't give him credit for being gritty when you actually see real gritty throughout the playoffs. He is an average player, and is best suited in a defensive role. Moderately gritty. I don't think he's consistent enough to say that he could provide a team (leafs, pens, etc.) with 20 goals and 50 points.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
How is it that Kuli ends up getting an opportunity on the Pens' second line?

I suppose it's possible, but so many things have to fall into place:

-the pens wanting him
-the pens being in a situation where Kuli has to play the second line.
-the pens offer enough money for Kuli to want to play there
-Kuli playing well
-Malkin playing well
-the pens 3rd line being in place

You could make the same arguement for Clarkson being a 20/50 guy playing with Malkin too.

The Penguins would be a great choice for Kulemin. Both Malkin and Kulemin played in the KHL during the mini-lockout for Magnitogorsk Metallurg. Kulemin was producing with Malkin in the KHL.

GP G A PTS
36 14 24 38

Not bad for a grinding winger when paired with Malkin.

Adding Kulemin would potentially move Jusi Jokinen to the top line and have the second line with Kulemin, Malkin and Neal.

Then the top line could have Jokinen, Crosby and Kunitz.

Kulemin could even go down to the third line with Sutter and not miss a beat. He is very versatile that it makes sense for the Penguins to look at Kulemin.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's been rumoured for a while that Pitts was interested in him. But in typical Leaf fashion, instead of trading him, they let him walk for nothing.
And it doesn't matter whether they thought they'd make the playoffs, he's not a difference maker.

And imagine if Burke has traded Mac, Grabs and Kuelmin for the first rounders he said he could get a few years ago :)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I agree, but at the end of the day, we're not really in a position to be throwing upwards of $4M at him and hoping.

He was one of my favourites for a few years there, though, so I wish him luck in Pittsburgh, or wherever he ends up.

You're right we're not in a position to resign him but that's more to do with how we've used our cap and not what he could potentially offer as a player . I just don't feel the need to continually slag players (not you) as they're walking out the door like some of our posters do.

Anyway , good luck to him and I hope he finds a spot where he fits .

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
And imagine if Burke has traded Mac, Grabs and Kuelmin for the first rounders he said he could get a few years ago :)

Well if that was the case then the Maple Leafs could have drafted some decent players. Here are the playoff team selections from the 2012 draft.

2012 NHL Entry Draft (Playoff Teams Selections)

Selection: Player: Team:
17 - Tomas Hertl (C) - San Jose Sharks
18 - Teuvo Teravainen (RW) - Chicago Blackhawks
19 - Andrei Vasilevski (G) - Tampa Bay Lightning (from Detroit)
20 - Scott Laughton (C) - Philadelphia Flyers
21 - Mark Jankowski (C) - Calgary Flames (from Nashville via Buffalo)
22 - Olli Maatta (D) - Pittsburgh Penguins
23 - Mike Matheson (D) - Florida Panthers
24 - Malcolm Subban (G) - Boston Bruins
25 - Jordan Schmaltz (D) - St. Louis Blues
26 - Brendan Gaunce (C) - Vancouver Canucks
27 - Henrik Samuelsson (C) - Phoenix Coyotes
28 - Brady Skjei (D) - New York Rangers
29 - Stefan Matteau (C) - New Jersey Devils
30 - Tanner Pearson (LW) - Los Angeles Kings

Based on that list I could see the following playoff teams that may have offered Burke their first round pick.

San Jose Sharks - They have a long history of trading their first round pick for help.
Pittsburgh Penguins - Shero may have offered first round pick for Kulemin
New York Rangers - Sather and Burke had deals in the past.

So if the Leafs moved 3 of the 4 on that trade deadline, then the team would possibly have Tomas Hertl, Olli Maatta, and Brady Skjei.

Although the Leafs could have selected any of the other players listed or go outside the board.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Well if that was the case then the Maple Leafs could have drafted some decent players. Here are the playoff team selections from the 2012 draft.

Based on that list I could see the following playoff teams that may have offered Burke their first round pick.

San Jose Sharks - They have a long history of trading their first round pick for help.

So if the Leafs moved 3 of the 4 on that trade deadline, then the team would possibly have Tomas Hertl, Olli Maatta, and Brady Skjei.

Although the Leafs could have selected any of the other players listed or go outside the board.

imagine if we had maata, teravainen, and laughton instead of letting mac go for free, grabo getting bought out, and kulemin eventually walking for free.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

Don't think the Leafs would have drafted Hertl or Maatta.

for the same reason we wont take Nylander or Ehlers if they are BPA; and why we took Biggs, Percy.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Kulemin >>>> Clarkson
Such a shame we lost Mac, Grabo, and soon to be Kulemin for nothing when we were apparently offered first rounders for them. Bad asset management. Kulemin is going to be a good pick up for whoever gets him. Looked good on Kadri's wing (when our coach actually put them together). Next year could be interesting. Hopefully he re-signs for a couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad