Tribute Niklas "The Hammer" Hjalmarrson to leave the NHL, possibly retire in Europe

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Your sure...

He had a ntc, he wanted to go there because he is friends with OEL. I'm not sure you're so right here.

And you're bringing up 215-16 I'm not sure why. Again what I said and showed wasn't about that. It was about his 2nd half in 2017 especially when people were saying, oh he looks hurt and bad now.

He had a modified NTC. He had to submit a list of 10 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to.

I brought up 2015-16 bc BK said he was bad for a year and the majority of the prior year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Watching him play. He wasn’t really doing anything at all well his final season, I don’t care what the fancy stats say. He was brutal.

See I watched him play too and he wasn't brutal. Just because it wasn't 2013 doesn't mean he was brutal.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
At best, Hammer was on the same level of play as Murphy these past few years.

And now Hammer is done and the Hawks still have a solid top 4 RHD. Great trade, despite it hurting a bit to see a solid piece of our cup runs get moved.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At best, Hammer was on the same level of play as Murphy these past few years.

And now Hammer is done and the Hawks still have a solid top 4 RHD. Great trade, despite it hurting a bit to see a solid piece of our cup runs get moved.

Murphy is far from solid top 4 RHD

His play is and always has been stark up and down contrast

Hawks should have traded him when his value was at peak last offseason

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Brutal could be used to describe alot of Murphy's play as a Hawk

Guy is a glorified 3rd pairing defender

It was bad trade then and will still be bad trade when Murphy finally departs

Hammer at his worst > Murphy as a Hawk

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He 100% was. I had a mistake in my post. The last .75 season he was here he was brutal not 1.75 but he was not good the year prior either. No clue what you are watching if you thought he was good.

That's just a big yikes from me man. Murphy is a "legit #3" and Hammer was "brutal" in your eyes. Is what it is I suppose.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Lol there are people that are still upset with the hammer trade? Keep pushing that agenda :laugh:

Hammer was up there with one of my favorite Blackhawks of all time, but you need to be able to separate the emotional attachment. He was clearly declining and Murphy was on the upswing and on a better deal when we were cap strapped and headed towards a rebuild. He’s not gonna be as good as a peak hjalmarsson but neither was #4 when we traded him. We’re getting so much more useful mileage out of Murphy than we ever would have gotten out of hammer. I think a lot of people also subscribe to the “better player wins the deal” and remember 2015 hjalmarsson and aren’t taking into account that Stan traded him at the right time before his game completely fell off. I don’t think anyone in the NHL had taken harder miles in their career at that age than hjalmarsson... and he was getting close to needing a new deal soon. Absolutely was the right time to move him.

Too bad the trolls had to derail hammers thread with the same f***ing arguments that are in every thread. Much respect to a hawks legend. Happy trails!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Lol there are people that are still upset with the hammer trade? Keep pushing that agenda :laugh:

Hammer was up there with one of my favorite Blackhawks of all time, but you need to be able to separate the emotional attachment. He was clearly declining and Murphy was on the upswing and on a better deal when we were cap strapped and headed towards a rebuild. He’s not gonna be as good as a peak hjalmarsson but neither was #4 when we traded him. We’re getting so much more useful mileage out of Murphy than we ever would have gotten out of hammer. I think a lot of people also subscribe to the “better player wins the deal” and remember 2015 hjalmarsson and aren’t taking into account that Stan traded him at the right time before his game completely fell off. I don’t think anyone in the NHL had taken harder miles in their career at that age than hjalmarsson... and he was getting close to needing a new deal soon. Absolutely was the right time to move him.

Too bad the trolls had to derail hammers thread with the same f***ing arguments that are in every thread. Much respect to a hawks legend. Happy trails!

That's some revisionist history right there. They didn't make that deal believing they were headed towards a rebuild. Their goal was to continue winning and what they got was an objectively worse dman at the time, who was making the same money. Luckily, Murphy has blossomed into a very average 2nd pairing guy on a bad team, who'd be a third pairing guy on a good team. What a win.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
That's some revisionist history right there. They didn't make that deal believing they were headed towards a rebuild. Their goal was to continue winning and what they got was an objectively worse dman at the time, who was making the same money. Luckily, Murphy has blossomed into a very average 2nd pairing guy on a bad team, who'd be a third pairing guy on a good team. What a win.
They were 100% headed towards a rebuild at that point but they thought they could retool and were wrong. Would taking this trade back have made them contenders? If your answer is no then what’s your point here?

I honestly wasn’t wild about the trade at the time but Murphy has proved himself to be a reliable 3/4. There’s nothing to be mad about unless you for some reason thought this trade ended their cup hopes and if that’s the case I’d ask you to get your head examined.

Reactions: d rake and ClydeLee

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
They were 100% headed towards a rebuild at that point but they thought they could retool and were wrong. Would taking this trade back have made them contenders? If your answer is no then what’s your point here?

I honestly wasn’t wild about the trade at the time but Murphy has proved himself to be a reliable 3/4. There’s nothing to be mad about unless you for some reason thought this trade ended their cup hopes and if that’s the case I’d ask you to get your head examined.

Dude, at the literal time Hammer was traded they had just finished 1st in the conference and Bowman went on a tirade that a first round sweep was unacceptable and not where they expect to be. Just because they were "100% headed towards a rebuild" in hindsight, doesn't mean that was their plan in that off-season. It was absolutely not their plan. If it was, they would have traded Hammer and Panarin for futures -- which in hindsight, they absolutely should have given the packages they got back for those two players.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dude, at the literal time Hammer was traded they had just finished 1st in the conference and Bowman went on a tirade that a first round sweep was unacceptable and not where they expect to be. Just because they were "100% headed towards a rebuild" in hindsight, doesn't mean that was their plan in that off-season. It was absolutely not their plan. If it was, they would have traded Hammer and Panarin for futures -- which in hindsight, they absolutely should have given the packages they got back for those two players.

Dont worry the Bowman bros will be in to tell us how Q and Mcd ran everything and Bowman was powerless to stop them

Every bad trade , pick , signing , etc in that time was 100% Q and Mcd

Of course every good trade , pick , signing , etc in that time was Bowman's genius

Interesting how that works!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Dont worry the Bowman bros will be in to tell us how Q and Mcd ran everything and Bowman was powerless to stop them

Every bad trade , pick , signing , etc in that time was 100% Q and Mcd

Of course every good trade , pick , signing , etc in that time was Bowman's genius

Interesting how that works!

I'd probably be described as a Bowman bro. I don't hate the job he's done overall but there's no chance you can describe the Hammer/Panarin deals as good, especially with hindsight.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
3rd pairing guy on a good team? Bitch please, we had the best team for 3 years in the last 11 or so seasons. How many of those years did we have 4 guys better than Murphy on the back end?

2010, we had Keith, Seabrook, Soupy, and a young stud Hammer. That's 4 that are objectively better than Murphy is now. Who do you think was better than him in 2013 or 2015? Don't go lying saying that Oduya (back then) was any better than Murphy is now. Because that's a damn lie.

So 2 of our 3 recent cup wins, with not just good teams, but the best teams in the league, Murphy would've been our 4th best defender.

3rd pair on a good team my ass.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Ended up being nothing more than a meh trade. Murphy ended up being better, even if just slightly.... but neither team walked away as a big winner or loser in this deal. Not really anything to get worked up over.

Reactions: Pertti

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
3rd pairing guy on a good team? Bitch please, we had the best team for 3 years in the last 11 or so seasons. How many of those years did we have 4 guys better than Murphy on the back end?

2010, we had Keith, Seabrook, Soupy, and a young stud Hammer. That's 4 that are objectively better than Murphy is now. Who do you think was better than him in 2013 or 2015? Don't go lying saying that Oduya (back then) was any better than Murphy is now. Because that's a damn lie.

So 2 of our 3 recent cup wins, with not just good teams, but the best teams in the league, Murphy would've been our 4th best defender.

3rd pair on a good team my ass.

I’d take Oduya at his best over Murphy at his best and wouldn’t even think twice about it.

Reactions: HockeySensible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad