Tribute Niklas "The Hammer" Hjalmarrson to leave the NHL, possibly retire in Europe

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He wasn't at his best when he was traded.

Saying he wasn't at his best and "he was not good" is a big difference. His best was outstanding. He was still a very good player when he was traded, with an outstanding resume that was worth a lot more than Connor Murphy and Laurent Daulphin.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Stan brings back a guy who used to be a Hawk, gets criticized by certain posters.

Stan trades a guy while he has value, doesn't bring him back to end career; still criticized by same posters.

Okay then.

I actually don't think he was willing to waive his NMC in Arizona. I think he had a custody situation with his ex, so he didn't want to bounce around. That may also be why he's going back to Sweden instead of playing a bit longer as the Yotes weren't going to re-sign him. I'm sure another team would have if he was available. EDIT: @Northernhawk summed it up.

He'll get his one last shift with the Hawks at some point I'm sure.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Saying he wasn't at his best and "he was not good" is a big difference. His best was outstanding. He was still a very good player when he was traded, with an outstanding resume that was worth a lot more than Connor Murphy and Laurent Daulphin.

He was not a very good player when he was traded. It was very obvious at the end that he was not the player he used to be. Murphy has been a better player of the same time frame.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Nice rebuttal. Well thought out, in depth. Really makes a guy think.

I have rebutted the same subject a billion times and he has said the same nonesense a million times, he’s wrong no rebuttal needed, Murphy is garbage...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have rebutted the same subject a billion times and he has said the same nonesense a million times, he’s wrong no rebuttal needed, Murphy is garbage...

You actually have never provided a real rebuttal based in reality or any real type of intelligent logic. Need proof: “ Murphy is garbage.” You think Murphy is garbage because Bowman traded for him and your obsession blindly hating Bowman no matter what has taken you to this conclusion.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You actually have never provided a real rebuttal based in reality or any real type of intelligent logic. Need proof: “ Murphy is garbage.” You think Murphy is garbage because Bowman traded for him and your obsession blindly hating Bowman no matter what has taken you to this conclusion.
No Murphy is garbage because Murphy is garbage, and I hate Stan because Stan is a garbage GM and not because I hate him and thus his moves are garbage, your arguments are always backwards and your love for Stan is blind and Homer, look at your avatar mate... Wake up snap out of it, you are inversely projecting on others...

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Absolutely loved Hjammer. Three things stick out to me thinking back on his time with the Hawks:

1) He could absolutely hammer, no pun intended, guys, but only did so very rarely. I seem to remember one hit against Buffalo early in his career, for which I think he was suspended, where he absolutely laid the guy out. After that suspension, it seemed like he rarely threw many big hits. Part of me wishes he did it more. Part of me wonders if not going after the big hit is part of what transformed him into such an excellent stick on puck defender.

2) Amazing improvement over his career on his confidence with the puck and first pass. He was frustrating early on in his career in how he would just chip the puck out at every opportunity. His improvement in that area was impressive, as by the time he left us he was above average at holding onto the puck long enough to allow for controlled breakout passes.

3) Best "one handed stick lifter" I have ever seen. Seems like a pretty obscure skill, but the ability for a defenceman to lift an opponents stick and disrupt the puck with only one hand on his stick is a really valuable skill. Allows to defend a much bigger space and forces opponents to adjust.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No Murphy is garbage because Murphy is garbage, and I hate Stan because Stan is a garbage GM and not because I hate him and thus his moves are garbage, your arguments are always backwards and your love for Stan is blind and Homer, look at your avatar mate... Wake up snap out of it, you are inversely projecting on others...

Everything about this post is either a lie or wrong. Congrats 10/10.

Most impressive is you not understanding the joke of my avatar….

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
hell of a career if he heads back to europe. a giant part of all 3 cups and all the success. the blackhawks have been horrid defensively since he left. (for many reasons but hes one)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Guy carried his clockweights in a wheelbarrow. Was always willing to sacrifice his body whenever he stepped onto the ice. Enjoy your retirement Hjammer!

Reactions: Muffinalt

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He was not a very good player when he was traded. It was very obvious at the end that he was not the player he used to be. Murphy has been a better player of the same time frame.

Again, based on... what?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Again, based on... what?
People were seeing it eyesight wise. But the metrics show it too. His corsi & Exg% were both dropping late that year compared to what he had before.

Then in Arizona early after a dozen games he got banged up with a seeming nagging injuries. And he's had injuries piled up ever since. Only in 18-19 was he healthy and good again. He's had 3/4 years since missing lots of time and probably playing partially hurt always now.

He was a warrior and to some they could see that breaking down coming. I remeber people saying it and I didn't notice it, but they were right about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giovi and BK

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
According to Reddit, he's told the Swedish press he's more inclined to retire than play in Sweden. He said he's lost his drive for the game. Which is understandable given the hard physical play and the recent injuries. Again, all the best to one of the most underrated Hawks ever.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
People were seeing it eyesight wise. But the metrics show it too. His corsi & Exg% were both dropping late that year compared to what he had before.

Then in Arizona early after a dozen games he got banged up with a seeming nagging injuries. And he's had injuries piled up ever since. Only in 18-19 was he healthy and good again. He's had 3/4 years since missing lots of time and probably playing partially hurt always now.

He was a warrior and to some they could see that breaking down coming. I remeber people saying it and I didn't notice it, but they were right about it.

This.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The trade looks fine looking back on it now. We definitely downgraded at the time, but it's slowly worked back to our favour over the years, and now is where the deal really pays off. We have an asset we can unload (hopefully they take advantage of it) for a decent haul of prospects/picks. Whereas Arizonas asset, will now retire.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

His CF% relative was the best of his career in 2015-16 and the third best of his career in 2016-17. His overall corsi numbers were down but so were everyone's. The team was getting worse year-over-year. Amongst CHIs top-4 D, Hammer had the highest xGF% in 2016-17.

I'd have taken time off from nagging injuries too if I were traded to the desert from CHI, in a trade I'm sure he never saw coming.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The trade looks fine looking back on it now. We definitely downgraded at the time, but it's slowly worked back to our favour over the years, and now is where the deal really pays off. We have an asset we can unload (hopefully they take advantage of it) for a decent haul of prospects/picks. Whereas Arizonas asset, will now retire.

So the trade is fine, bc CHI took on the lesser player at the same cost, who 4 years later they can now trade for a package that they could've trumped had they just traded Hammer for a prospects/picks package to begin with?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
His CF% relative was the best of his career in 2015-16 and the third best of his career in 2016-17. His overall corsi numbers were down but so were everyone's. The team was getting worse year-over-year. Amongst CHIs top-4 D, Hammer had the highest xGF% in 2016-17.

I'd have taken time off from nagging injuries too if I were traded to the desert from CHI, in a trade I'm sure he never saw coming.
Your sure...

He had a ntc, he wanted to go there because he is friends with OEL. I'm not sure you're so right here.

And you're bringing up 215-16 I'm not sure why. Again what I said and showed wasn't about that. It was about his 2nd half in 2017 especially when people were saying, oh he looks hurt and bad now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad