Tribute Niklas "The Hammer" Hjalmarrson to leave the NHL, possibly retire in Europe

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Another part of our beloved core is possibly hanging it up. The "Hammer" is done in Arizona and is now mulling retirement or Eurpean playing options. A tip of the cap to this great Hawk!!!

thehammer.png

thehammer2.jpg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Truly the most underrated of our core guys

Seeing Q trust him with a role as kid on 08-09 team during that playoff run and Hammer respond there was no doubt his future would be bright

From a solid 2nd pairing guy to a legit top pairing defender in his prime

I loved his time as Hawk and its a shame he didn't stay in Chicago thru his entire career

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Epitome of a shutdown defensive defenceman...he and Oduya complimented Duncs and Seabs...in 2015 the four of them carried the built of the play in rounds 3 and 4 after Rosie got injured...I'll always remember him as part of the 'core' and Bowman saw that, Bowman doesn't get credit for that...he matched three Sharks offer sheet which couldn't be said for Niemi...Big Buff, Bolland, Bickell, Saad, Shaw were also complimentary but Hjalmarsson was kept

Side note, he has gotten divorced and part of his agreement was to remain in state if Arizona for his kids...I'm sure trade offers were there for him...but his legal no movement clause prohibited it

See you at the conventions Niklas!

28th alltime in games played as a Hawk, 10th highest dman

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Shame he didn’t end his career in chicago, guys like he, Panarin, TT should have never left, just horrible management the last half a decade plus.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ideal Chicago career for him as well.

Was an excellent player, warrior, never in the media, got traded before his play ever declined as well so we have no bad memories. I have his jersey on my wall right now. My favorite Blackhawk

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Shame he didn’t end his career in chicago, guys like he, Panarin, TT should have never left, just horrible management the last half a decade plus.

Hammer was not good here his last 1.75 seasons. This is not debatable and NOTHING shows he was still good. Trading Hammer was the right move and we got good value from it.

Hammer was a great player here and one of my favorites cup era (just behind Hossa). He deserve all the praise and more.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hammer was not good here his last 1.75 seasons. This is not debatable and NOTHING shows he was still good. Trading Hammer was the right move and we got good value from it.

Hammer was a great player here and one of my favorites cup era (just behind Hossa). He deserve all the praise and more.

Wrong

Reactions: HockeySensible

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

By what metrics was Hammer not good and how did we get good value for him? He was 29 when we dealt him. A three-time NHL champion on a reasonable caphit, who still had 2 years remaining on his deal. The Hawks got an objectively worse player in return at the time, who was making basically the same money, and a nothing prospect that CHI ended up dealing back to ARI later in the year. Connor Murphy, at his absolute best, is a second-pairing guy. Hammer at his best was a world-class shutdown guy.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
By what metrics was Hammer not good and how did we get good value for him? He was 29 when we dealt him. A three-time NHL champion on a reasonable caphit, who still had 2 years remaining on his deal. The Hawks got an objectively worse player in return at the time, who was making basically the same money, and a nothing prospect that CHI ended up dealing back to ARI later in the year. Connor Murphy, at his absolute best, is a second-pairing guy. Hammer at his best was a world-class shutdown guy.

He wasn't at his best when he was traded.

Reactions: Giovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->